Is there a Need for Speed type game out now.....

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I never liked any of the NFS games after NFS HP2. Is there a game out there that's relatively new that follows in HP2's footsteps?

Anything in the works for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 3?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
I'm pretty sure they made a Hot Pursuit 3.

And I'm pretty sure it sucked :(

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
No, Need For Speed 3 was subtitled Hot Pursuit (1). I don't know what number they're at now, but I know the most recent games in the series (after Hot Pursuit 2) were Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, and ProStreet.

Most Wanted isn't really anything like Hot Pursuit 2 but at least it has cops and cop chases. It's a pretty fun game.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
No, Need For Speed 3 was subtitled Hot Pursuit (1). I don't know what number they're at now, but I know the most recent games in the series (after Hot Pursuit 2) were Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, and ProStreet.

Most Wanted isn't really anything like Hot Pursuit 2 but at least it has cops and cop chases. It's a pretty fun game.

Don't forget this one...

Need For Speed Porsche Unleased :)

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
HP2 was a flop after so long a wait from PU which was great

NFS
NFS2
NFS III HP
NFS HS
NFS PU
NFS HP2
NFS UG
NFS UG2
NFS MW
NFS Carbon
NFS ProStreet

Most Wanted would be closest to what you are lookin for

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: BassBomb
HP2 was a flop after so long a wait from PU which was great

NFS
NFS2
NFS III HP
NFS HS
NFS PU
NFS HP2
NFS UG
NFS UG2
NFS MW
NFS Carbon
NFS ProStreet

Most Wanted would be closest to what you are lookin for

What are you smoking? I asked about NEW games, not old.
I had Most Wanted and sold it 2 days later..... It sucked red monkey balls and so did all the NFS games after it!

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Carbon had cops but was considerably worse than MW. Nothing after had police

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I LOVED the first hot pursuit (NFS3). Me and my college roommate used to race in split screen mode using 2 sidewinder controllers chained together. I gave HP2 a try and hated it.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
I LOVED the first hot pursuit (NFS3). Me and my college roommate used to race in split screen mode using 2 sidewinder controllers chained together. I gave HP2 a try and hated it.

HP2 was significantly better on console than on PC mostly due to being developed by different EA locations.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: BassBomb
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

HP2 was significantly better on console than on PC mostly due to being developed by different EA locations.

Looking at review scores, it appears the PS2 version was significantly better than the Xbox and PC versions.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
most wanted isn't really that bad after everyone stops talking through your window every 2 minutes. that was so incredibly cheesy. and, what was with that poor-man's luke perry?

St0ry

Jun 14, 2008
Slightly OT:

Is there a racing game for PC with online play that people actually play? (Other than Kart Rider.)

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Originally posted by: St0ry
Slightly OT:

Is there a racing game for PC with online play that people actually play? (Other than Kart Rider.)

Most of them have some type of online multiplayer mode , especially the now rice-a-roni NFS series.

Here are some of them:

rFactor
Live for Speed
Race 07
GTR2
GT Legends
netKar PRO
Grid

EDIT: I recommend the first 5 highly if you're in the sim type games. I haven't played the last 2 since I'm still busy playing the first 5. :)

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ObiDon
most wanted isn't really that bad after everyone stops talking through your window every 2 minutes. that was so incredibly cheesy. and, what was with that poor-man's luke perry?

Dude that's the whole point. A lot of EA games have live-action FMV cutscenes. Why? Because they turn the cheese factor up to 11! Besides, they're way better than the utterly creepy 3D rendered characters from NFS: Carbon. Oh god. They're like beings from a nightmare.

But yeah, if you LOOOOOVE live-action FMV, you should play C&C 3. Hi-LAR-ious.

:p

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Most Wanted was an excellent game. The FMVs were of the "so bad it's good" variety (which might have been intentional actually :D), but the game itself had a suprising amount of content and replay value for a racing title. I completed the career mode but never managed to finish the challenge races, after getting stuck on one particularly hard one where you drive a minivan.

I haven't tried the two newer games, which most people say are not as good.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
There's some hope for the NFS series though, last thing I read was that the last Pro Street was indeed not considered very good, OK, but not good. They've not split the studio in half, with two teams, both working on a new NFS game. They've done this so they can release a new NFS game every year, but with two teams, each team has 2 years to develop the game. This way more innovative ideas should make it into the game. It sounds somewhat promising. Perhaps Need for Speed: Undercover is a turnaround ?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Nfs ProStreet was the worst of the series. It doesn't even work right, but even if it did, it's just plain crap.

Carbon was also boring and was lacking fun. Also, I never really liked Underground 1 or 2, although they were fun to play they've become very boring, very fast.
From all recent NFS, Most Wanted was the best really. Going back in time, I liked NFS Porsche 2000 a lot and quite all the others that were until this. Hot Pursuit 1 was superb, NFS at its best.

For the moment, GRID is absolutely beautiful, a nice substitute for NFS and Test Drive Unlimited it's also a very good racing game. Let's hope that EA will manage to create this year a better NFS, although I really doubt it.