Is there a name for this kind of website design?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
It's a long scroll single page website with parallax effects.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I kind of like it from an "isn't that neat" perspective. It doesn't bother me, but I don't think it adds much over a traditional page aside from fattening the dev's paycheck.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I kind of like it from an "isn't that neat" perspective. It doesn't bother me, but I don't think it adds much over a traditional page aside from fattening the dev's paycheck.

I agree that it looks nifty, but I haven't yet seen a website that employs it in a non-jarring fashion (and that's after looking at a website touting what the author considers to be the best uses of it - I thought they were all irritating). If I had the time and inclination, I might consider trying to design a website using this feature but with the most subtle 'watermark' images, just to see if I could make use of it in a fashion that pleased me. However I think as soon as one sees another object on a page not moving with the rest, that object is going to draw attention away from the main content.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I like the look of it as well but the common problem I see with sites that use it is that they aren't optimized at all and there is a lot of jittery scrolling, which completely breaks the UX of the site.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/looking_for_brexitland

Also, does it work any better on mobile, or is it just as bad as on the desktop where it feels like someone is flicking their fingers and waving their hands beside my screen and keeps saying "don't look at me, it might distract you from you're reading!"?

Just use internet explorer 10 or 11, due to its low HTML5 support. Most of the special scrolling effects are due to modern HTML5 and CSS, something Internet Explorer lacks in, especially IE 10.