Is there a name for this belief

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
That due to humans no longer being subject to natural selection, that humans have bred genetic imperfections, both mental and physical, to the point where it becomes a major factor in modern society?
I know other factors contribute to mental and physical changes, such as being raped as a child, or encounters with cancer causing agents, and those factors can greatly change how you react to life situations.
It just makes me wonder if breeding those imperfections could be a major cause of alot of human type illnesses in the world, both physical and mental.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
This is actually true. For instance, poor eyesight should have been wiped out, but we've found ways to compensate, and now it's not a factor in survival anymore. Technology is advancing fast enough that defects won't be a problem much longer. If something doesn't work, it'll just be replaced.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
It will reach a point where it won't matter. Technology will eventually advance enough to modify our dna to elimiate all defective genes. Therefore natural selection will no longer need to happen.

Edit:

Brave New World anybody?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
It just makes me wonder sometimes.
How many of these child molesters, killers, and other generally unpleasant people are creations of our own inability to see what would lie ahead instead of what was directly in front of us.
It's like shooting yourself in the foot, and then complaining about the pain, and then complaining about the infection, and then complaining about the scar. But in a much more vast sense.
But then again there are non-genetic factors that can bring about these things.
I dunno it's just sad to me.