Is there a microwave popcorn that pops all of the kernels?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nanette1985, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nanette1985

nanette1985 Diamond Member

Or is there a microwave that pops all the kernels in the microwave popcorn package?

I hate those unpopped hard kernels.

2. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Lifer

The little, burned, un-popped kernels are the best part!

3. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

IMO, the less kernels popped in the microwave the better. That stuff SUCKS.
    Give me oil popped or give me nothing.

4. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

It's virtually impossible. You'll always get slacker kernels,, regardless of popping method. Doing it the manual way, you can adjust a bit, and get more to pop but you'll never get them all.

5. HardcoreRobot

its not the microwave, its the corn.

6. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Banned

According to this, the kernel popping mechanism is moisture-dependent, and some of that is done by the manufacturing process.

So after reading this, generally speaking, to improve the kernel popping ratio successfully, fresher packages are recommended.

7. Taejin

Taejin Moderator<br>Love & Relationships

Ida,

I think the idea is that each kernel pops at a certain pressure they reach once heated to a certain temperature.

However, all kernels are not necessarily made equal, and therefore may require different pressures to reach popping, although most kernels are quite similar to one another, as the majority of kernels do become popcorn. Furthermore, it is likely that there are variations of temperature due to microwaving that cause kernels to pop differently too.

Because of this, any outlier kernels that take too long to pop or require higher temperature/pressure (and therefore take too long to pop) will result in the other popcorn burning or becoming distasteful to eat.

HAVE A NICE DAY

8. CycloWizard

CycloWizard Lifer

Popping time is basically normally distributed as a result of the random variation in kernel moisture, location in the bag, and others. You can pop every kernel, but not without burning the premature poppers.

9. Raizinman

Raizinman Platinum Member

I've found that refrigerating the microwave popcorn packets prior to microwaving helps to almost/sometimes popping all the kernals. Supposedly the shock from cold to hot helps pop all the kernals. Also, leaving the popcorn packets out (even though sealed) removes a small amount of the moisture needed to pop the corn. Try putting the packets in the fridge or even the freezer a day before popping. Seems to taste better too, (fresher).

10. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Act II seems to pop the best. Something about the type of oil they put in the back. Be sure to shake the package before putting it in the microwave.

11. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

this is my next project

12. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Kernal Cat will ensure microwaved product consistency and total kernal pop by monitoring output power, adjusting accordingly using cat hearing to count every pop.

[​IMG]

13. Drako

Drako Lifer

We freeze our MW popcorn, and it seems to pop better for some reason.

14. BurnItDwn

BurnItDwn Lifer

If you put them in like an hour, you'll probably get them to all pop, but they will also likely all be burned to a crisp, and it's likely your microwave would catch on fire much sooner than that.

15. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

I made a bag the other night, because I didn't feel like making it on the stove. I'm pretty sure it was Orville brand, called something like "white corn with real butter". It was actually pretty good, and there was only 4 unpopped kernels, with the rest popped perfectly.

16. bobdole369

bobdole369 Diamond Member

It's both. Old stale corn doesn't pop so well. And weak pussy microwaves won't pop anything. The microwave here at work will catch your bag of popcorn on FIRE if you leave it in for more than 3mins30. However I HAVE had an old bag only half-pop. Usually you can see oil leak through the paper on the really old ones. That being said - there is ALWAYS a couple unpopped ones. Its the way it works. Usually though the microwave hr at work will always give you a full, tight, (almost overfull) bag of solidly popped fluffy popcorn. At home - not so much.

17. Macamus Prime

Macamus Prime Diamond Member

It's a plot to screw you all over. The unpopped kernals are MADE that way. They absorb heat and use up energy, but do not pop and you STILL pay for that energy.

The utilities companies have set it up so that the collective kernals NOT popping, allow the companies to charge and have you PAY for energy that was intentionally directed to an uppopable kernal.

Trillions in profits are made - millions of people oppressed and enslaved to the wills and ways of a capitalist ploy to squeeze more money out of the hard worker.

Of course,... it could just be the way things are. Or, you need to find the sweel spot of popping popcorn in a Microwave. I don't go by the packaging requirements. I add 15 seconds and find that very few kernals are not popped.

18. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

I may be wrong as my thermo is rusty (and it's never been good in the first place), but I believe the ideal gas law assuming constant volume may explain why more seem to pop cold than at room temp. The kernals that take a higher pressure to pop may actually reach that pressure if the temp difference if larger. P2 = P1(T2/T1)

Since T1 is now lower in the fridge or freezer and P1 stays the same, P2 will be larger thus popping more kernals than normal.

That's right, we just went there. Somebody confirm.

19. herm0016

herm0016 Diamond Member

microwave sucks. it is very easy to use a sauce pan with a bit of oil inthe bottom. much tastier too.

20. bobdole369

bobdole369 Diamond Member

hot air poppers are a neat novelty too. You get very few if any unpopped ones. Also. I'm a HUGE fan of oil popping. Its really easy to do, you can get crazy good high-end gourmet style corn from the internetz, and its MUCH better than any bag in the nuke-ro-wave. All it takes is a big pot (dutch oven for the purists) with a lid, some oil (I prefer coconut oil in popcorn, but soybean, rapeseed, corn, or olive would work just as well). 5 minutes on high and shake like you got a disease until done. Really only need to jiggle to keep the unpopped ones coming down through the popped corn to the heat again. It isn't really to keep the popped ones from burning.

21. herm0016

herm0016 Diamond Member

olive oil has a pretty low smoke point, better to use something with a high smoke point. the only reason you need oil it to help transfer heat into the kernals.

22. nanette1985

nanette1985 Diamond Member

Aha! I KNEW it! My tinfoil hat should protect me while popping, though, right?

I get all hot and excited thinking about science in the kitchen :) .

I know. But sometimes I'm LAZY. Sorry.

23. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

24. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Those MW popcorn smell like vomit. Just sayin'.

25. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

That's the great thing about Jiffy Pop. You get a free tin foil hat with every purchase!