is there a KVM switch available for my setup?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i have

2 sources: a laptop and a desktop
2 standalone displays: monitor A and monitor B
inputs: usb keyboard, usb mouse

when using laptop i want dual screen with Laptop display and Monitor A
when using desktop i want dual screen with Monitor A and Monitor B

is there a switch suitable for this setup?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
So basically you want display A to be able to swith between your laptop and desktop. If so, you should just be able to use ANY KVM hooked to monitor A, and just hook monitor B directly to the desktop.

Do you want to use USB mouse/key with the laptop, too? What kind of monitors are they?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
yeah actually that should be no biggie - monitors A and B are large CRTs with dual inputs (to flip from laptop to desktop)

thing is i want to use USB m/k with the laptop AND desktop

when i look at some photos of KVMs they have this monitor/15pin/serial looking connectors on them; what are those fors? really i just want somethign to split out the USB inputs

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
you can get a normal kvm switch for monitor A since thats the only one changing outputs

then you can get a usb hub with two outputs, not exactly sure how it works, but I think it would do

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20
Originally posted by: mcvickj
Something like this should work for you.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=262690

ouch. 300 bucks.

i dont really need the monitor switching option (1 monitor to control 2 PCs). all i really need is to share my USB (m/k) inputs with 2 computers. can i achieve that with just a usb hub?

Give it a shot. Return it if it doesn't work. :)

The only catch is that you have to find one that works in the right direction. 1 female to 2 male connectors.