Is there a Freeware Applicaiton that can backup and restore an OS?

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Title says it all. Want to setup my HTPC so that I can restore it if I decide to isntall and play around with Windows 7. There's been many people complaining that their cable card PID expires after a set # of installs (25, but that is unconfirmed).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jay

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Clonezilla
Yep! That's what I use - never failed me yet! ;)

Heh!

I downloaded Acronis True Image during the last freebie offering, a couple of months ago - downloaded the reg key, etc - but I haven't even bothered to install it. That's how much I like Clonezilla.

I would suggest going the Clonezilla route! It's kinda kludgey, but it works great (if you don't mind dancing on the keyboard). Might be a little rough for a non-Linux user though. It's text-based, for the most part.

True Image (and/or DD) is generally accepted as being the best backup/restore solution, but they only give it up for free once or twice a year. :beer:

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks Guys, I've played with Linux, but the GUI versions, so hopefully learning curve won't be too difficult.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: sportage
Does Clonezilla work for both 32 & 64 os ?
Not sure I understand the question...

Clonezilla runs from a live CD/DVD (or USB thumb drive) so yes, it will work for both!

If you're asking if it will clone x64 and x86 OSs, yes!

If you're asking if it will clone multi-booted drives with both x64 and x86 OSs installed, yes again!

I use Clonezilla to perform disk-to-disk (D2D) cloning, e.g. backup/restore, on both x64 and x86 OSs, and yes, it has worked fine every time! :)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: VinDSL

I downloaded Acronis True Image during the last freebie offering, a couple of months ago - downloaded the reg key, etc - but I haven't even bothered to install it. That's how much I like Clonezilla.

I like not having to deal with licenses by using Clonezilla. It isn't something I use all the time, so I'd rather not deal with the hassle of product keys and such. I've done the same as you; Dowloaded free copies of Acronis, but never installed. It just isn't worth the hassle to me :^)

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: lxskllr
I like not having to deal with licenses by using Clonezilla. It isn't something I use all the time, so I'd rather not deal with the hassle of product keys and such. I've done the same as you; Dowloaded free copies of Acronis, but never installed. It just isn't worth the hassle to me :^)
WoW! This is a milestone!

We agree on something... :D

That's how good Clonezilla is, folks!!!