Is there a device like a chromecast but wired instead of wireless

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Hi,
I play videos from my PC upstairs to my TV downstairs using a chromecast. Is there a device that will do this, but wired instead of wireless? I already have an ethernet cable ready.

Thanks
Steve

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Hi,
I play videos from my PC upstairs to my TV downstairs using a chromecast. Is there a device that will do this, but wired instead of wireless? I already have an ethernet cable ready.

Thanks
Steve
I didn't know Chromecast could even do this. I've bought two different models (the first one, and whatever one they had at the end of last year), and neither accomplished what I wanted to do. They were just a push from phone lag fest, and you had to keep your phone on the whole time if I remember correctly.

So you're just looking for a streaming device that has an Ethernet port? What's your budget? Have you considered getting a Roku or Apple TV and setting up a Plex server on your PC? That's what I have and it's super easy to do and use. It runs in the background so you can use the PC while someone else watches Plex downstairs. Some TVs don't even require another device or even downloading the Plex App, as the Plex Server just becomes an input selection on the TV.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I didn't know Chromecast could even do this. I've bought two different models (the first one, and whatever one they had at the end of last year), and neither accomplished what I wanted to do. They were just a push from phone lag fest, and you had to keep your phone on the whole time if I remember correctly.

So you're just looking for a streaming device that has an Ethernet port? What's your budget? Have you considered getting a Roku or Apple TV and setting up a Plex server on your PC? That's what I have and it's super easy to do and use. It runs in the background so you can use the PC while someone else watches Plex downstairs. Some TVs don't even require another device or even downloading the Plex App, as the Plex Server just becomes an input selection on the TV.

you do not need to have your phone on... just when you need to cast to the chromecast. unless you are doing screen mirror from your phone.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The shield can do the same thing as the chromecast. plus a lot more. It can be wired.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't see any mention of cost restrictions. If you're looking to cast, stream, or play local content, the shield is the best thing you can get.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions...going to try the adapter for the chromecast first and if it doesn't work I'll try the Roku.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
If all you are doing is streaming videos, you can go with any modern streaming box like roku and run the required software on your pc to host the videos. A simple DLNA server can work but if you have videos encoded at higher profiles or soft subtitles you may need a more active server like PLEX which will convert videos in realtime before sending it off to a streamer.

What you are doing is no different than what we have been doing for many years to make our movies available online to TVs in our house.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
The optional ethernet adapter for Chromecast (an ethernet jack in the power supply/wall wart) is included when you purchase a Chromecast Ultra, but the problem is that the wired ethernet connection does not work (or work consistently) on "some users" 's Chromecasts. This has been a problem for more than a year and the Google "team" is still "working on it".
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/BQqGCWCBJpk
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6178505?hl=en
https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-chromecast-network-interface

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I stream everything through wired Chromecast Ultra and works well.