Is there a device like a chromecast but wired instead of wireless

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by steve wilson, Dec 4, 2017.

1. steve wilson

steve wilson Senior member

Hi,
    I play videos from my PC upstairs to my TV downstairs using a chromecast. Is there a device that will do this, but wired instead of wireless? I already have an ethernet cable ready.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - device chromecast wired Forum Date
    Please recommend an set of input device for my htpc Home Theater PCs Nov 5, 2017
    Calibrating HDTV using HTPC as display device. Home Theater PCs Jan 16, 2017
    Chromecast Ultra? Home Theater PCs Dec 22, 2016
    all purpose tv device? Home Theater PCs Sep 5, 2016
    Living room convergience of devices - are we there yet? Home Theater PCs Apr 6, 2016

3. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

4. Nashemon

Nashemon Senior member

I didn't know Chromecast could even do this. I've bought two different models (the first one, and whatever one they had at the end of last year), and neither accomplished what I wanted to do. They were just a push from phone lag fest, and you had to keep your phone on the whole time if I remember correctly.

So you're just looking for a streaming device that has an Ethernet port? What's your budget? Have you considered getting a Roku or Apple TV and setting up a Plex server on your PC? That's what I have and it's super easy to do and use. It runs in the background so you can use the PC while someone else watches Plex downstairs. Some TVs don't even require another device or even downloading the Plex App, as the Plex Server just becomes an input selection on the TV.

5. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

you do not need to have your phone on... just when you need to cast to the chromecast. unless you are doing screen mirror from your phone.

6. Binky

Binky Diamond Member

The shield can do the same thing as the chromecast. plus a lot more. It can be wired.

7. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

Slight price difference.

8. Binky

Binky Diamond Member

I don't see any mention of cost restrictions. If you're looking to cast, stream, or play local content, the shield is the best thing you can get.

9. steve wilson

steve wilson Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions...going to try the adapter for the chromecast first and if it doesn't work I'll try the Roku.