Is there a composite or s-video to VGA converter?

palouse

Sep 28, 2004
I want to play XBox, GCube, N64, etc, from a LCD monitor while the PC it is normally connected to is turned off. The monitor will have VGA and DVI connectors.
I see from a quick surf of NE that Scepter has the xg9 Gamer with S-Video and composite-in connectors, but I don't think that it would be on my top-10 list for general purpose monitors. I also realize that a VIVO video card or video input/TV card could enable game systems with a LCD, but then the PC must be running.
I figure that the Scepter with s-video is $30-$130 higher than other equally useful monitors. Are there video input/VGA output converters available (similar to a VGA-to-DVI connector)? What options are there for less than $30? I'm getting ready to buy another LCD monitor.
Thanks!

langpfeife

May 14, 2005
Viewsonic makes one, around the $100 range IIRC, but I doubt you'll find much of anything for under $30...the horizontal refresh rate of your game console has to be converted from 15kHz to 31+kHz for most PC monitors to accept the signal. That's why these devices are so expensive, a simple cable adapter won't do.

cheers

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: langpfeife
Viewsonic makes one, around the $100 range IIRC, but I doubt you'll find much of anything for under $30...the horizontal refresh rate of your game console has to be converted from 15kHz to 31+kHz for most PC monitors to accept the signal. That's why these devices are so expensive, a simple cable adapter won't do.

cheers

Yeah, I used to have this one three years ago and it cost a little over $100. It worked well, but I have since then went through two tvs and have a projector currently, so I didn't need it to "save space" anymore. I sold it to a friend for $50 recently.

I'm not sure if there are cheaper options than that one.

Kogan

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2000
There are vga cables made specifically for the xbox, but I think they cost around $60+ new. You can also hack up a cable and make your own xbox vga cable, but this might require a modified xbox bios (do a search for 'xbox vga' on google).

I also remember someone used to make a dreamcast vga cable that I think was inexpensive. I don't know much about n64, gamecubes, etc, but if it costs $50+ for each cable, then it may be cheaper for you to try to make them yourself or buy the $100 standard converter :)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I'd buy a monitor like the Dell 2005FPW or something that already has S video and Composite inputs. :D

palouse

Sep 28, 2004
Thank you to all that replied.

I was surprised that converters would be so much. I'll look at vendor-specific VGA options on google.

I have another question on monitors with composite or s-video input. When connected to a game box, do they display in native size, or in a 'box', given the likely lower resolution of the source? Anybody have experience using s-video with either the Scepter or Dell monitors?

I can connect my laptop to a 19" LCD monitor in 1024x768 res, and it takes up the entire screen even though it is not native resolution. It wouldn't make much sense to have a 19" or 20" monitor, then have the game display appear as a 1024X768 or smaller 'box' in the middle of the screen.

BadAcid

Apr 10, 2004
I own a Pelican brand VGA Box that has inputs for composite and S-Video and outputs it to monitor and speakers, all it takes is the press of a button (or a few, it's finnicky) to switch between the inputs. Quality is pretty bad for game cube at least because of interlacing or whatever, but it works. It also sets it to fill up the screen at like 680x480 (for gamecube, I don't own XBox or PS2). It cost me 50$ at BestBuy