Question Is there a codec that compresses more than H265?

adamjadam

Apr 4, 2023
Is there a codec that compresses more than H265? Are H265 and H265+ the same codec or different? I have a collection of videos shot with a camera in H264 format. Is it worth converting them to H265 format?
Are the original videos on YouTube or Rumble and other sites in H264 format. Is it possible to directly download movies in H265 format from these sites or do they have to be downloaded in H264 and I need to set the automatic conversion to H265 format in the downloader? Why the most popular format is H264 instead of H265 to waste disk space or servers of YouTube, Rumble and others unnecessarily?
On the udud of new TV decoders for receiving TV from the antenna, it says H265, does it mean that the TV also has a broadcast codec?
What audio format does regular radio broadcast in?

Jul 27, 2020
I have a collection of videos shot with a camera in H264 format. Is it worth converting them to H265 format?
Your videos are already compressed. Compressing them again is going to result in loss of quality.
Unless you have really large videos (10GB per video or more), it doesn't make sense to compress them with H.265. However, if you want to compress them so you can watch them on a portable device like a tablet, H.265 would reduce the size pretty well while maintaining decent quality. It's always better to keep the original high bitrate (large sized) videos that you shot, if you can.