Is their an open list of party donors in the US like in the UK?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

I was just wondering whether there is a publically accessable list of financial donors to political parties in the US as there is the UK? I would like to know who the big sponsors are and how much they provide.

Cheers,

Andy

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I am not 100% sure, but I believe that information is indeed publicaly available..

:)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi,

I was just wondering whether there is a publically accessable list of financial donors to political parties in the US as there is the UK? I would like to know who the big sponsors are and how much they provide.

Cheers,

Andy

they are the big corporations and institutions.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

they are the big corporations and institutions.

I guessed that, but I was hoping for a specific list of names and numbers. Any one know of this?

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Thera
Here?

Thanks.

Can you tell me whether this is an official site that collects all donation information, or whether its gleaned from inside information/voluntary practice? I can't find the info I need to establish the credibility of this information.

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: It seems as if the site gets its data via its own research. Is there any other site that people know of where rather than the researchers go get the data - the data comes to them straight from the parties (ie maybe there's a law requiring declaration of donations to a panel?).

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I'd imagine that they get there information through the Federal Election Commision and the Freedom of Information Act.

I'd also imagine that Federal law doesn't require the reporting of certain donors. I think that's the whole issue with soft money. Maybe you can send them an email asking for assistance. Most programs of this sort are pretty good about replying to requests.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You might also perform a search for 'Political Action Committees' and 'contributions'. Soft money interaction is rather large here in the U.S.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Opensecrets.org isn't the end-all be-all though, so look around for others. Opensecrets will tell you plenty of sins of the Republican's but their coverage of Democrat's isn't quite as thorough.

Example: They're are all over Bush about the Enron scandal, and rightfully so I'm sure :), but they fail to explore the Clinton-Enron connection who were very nice bedfellows. Its very easy to pick and choose what secrets should be cracked open.

Don't get me wrong they do call the democrats out on some things, but its clear who they're chasing after.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus
Opensecrets.org isn't the end-all be-all though, so look around for others. Opensecrets will tell you plenty of sins of the Republican's but their coverage of Democrat's isn't quite as thorough.

Example: They're are all over Bush about the Enron scandal, and rightfully so I'm sure :), but they fail to explore the Clinton-Enron connection who were very nice bedfellows. Its very easy to pick and choose what secrets should be cracked open.

Don't get me wrong they do call the democrats out on some things, but its clear who they're chasing after.

Under Clinton opensecrets.org attacked the democrats pretty hard. They were one of the main organizations that tracked the whole Whitehouse sleep-over thing. All that information is still there. I think it naturally puts the microscope on the current bully pulpit.