Is the word "Partner" the new politically correct term for "husband" and "wife"?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: bamacre
since you are admitting it .. awesome, i *still* don't hate you

Jesus told his followers to "love - even their enemies, and to even PRAY for those PERSECUTING you" .. in that context of love, he is telling real Christians to LOVE gay people also.

the word love is from the Greek 'agape' and not to be confused with the sexplay with your GF or another boy that is 'eros'

have fun exploring your new experiences .. but drop the bigot-part .. it is self-defeating and hateful .. unlike your supposed "God of Love" that you are commanded to "imitate" as your Teacher also loved even his enemys

Did i get it all right? .. or shall i keep on preaching love till you get it?
rose.gif

If you enjoy preaching to the choir, feel free to continue.

more love .. or perhaps sex education ?

i am qualified

So I am a bigot, and a homosexual.

Maybe we should move this to L&R .. but ..

How are your new experiences with the boys going? are you feeling confusion or do you feel Jesus will forgive you - or that it is just OK with Him?

rose.gif

Maybe we could ask moonie for help ..
i don't have a lot of experience with "gay" plus "bigoted" - not even separately; this seems to be more in the "self-hate" dept; we need a real expert:

paging self hate ... paging self hate ... paging self hate .. Mr Self-Hate, there is a Blue-Light Special in the Partner thread

:laugh:

My guess is that you start these battles and create misunderstanding so you can get close to feeling some sort of self pity in being misunderstood, sort of a persecution complex common among many Christians, but not of course the peoples of the religions of Christendom because that really does sound like it means all of them, maybe a mania before a depression, the genius that's misunderstood and way way ahead of his time??? Anyway, as an expert is self hate, that's one route I'd take.

what battle?
if it is me, i already won .. if is bamacre .. well then,
i defer to you as the uncontested Master of self-perpetrating Self-Hate and you are indeed the one to explain the "self-pity" associated with aforementioned persecution complex; of course, the "pray for those persecuting you" *should* cover "self pity" as a self-deprecating conundrum that should not be present in real followers - the WWJD, followers

Your words of wisdom as above, are sometimes *perfect* for the occasion .. i could not begin to describe the "persecution complex common among many Christians" while also maintaining a moderate degree of objectiveness in that explanation regarding the differences of the bigoted "peoples of the religions of Chistendom" contrasted with the agape "Christians" are commanded to display by their Primary Teacher.

Malaho!
rose.gif

Women are not lesser beings and i'm sorry to have to break it to you twat, they are not slaves opf men either, not anymore, they have been for millions of years but not anymore because you know what? Physical strenght isn't that important and they ARE usually smarter than men.

Me, there is nothing i admire more than womanhood, they are the missing part of me and while i do make most of my personal decisions on my own, all of them pretty much just goes back to women.

awesome, i *never* thought i'd be saying JoS has some deep thoughts
- i didn't actually - but the above must have been "inspired"

contrasted with El Macho Burro
At no point did I say they were lesser beings or slaves you knucklehead. I just said we naturally excel at different things.
so you are wrong .. women excel at *everything* .. men are dead .. and stupid - apes in comparison.

That is the REAL reason women are held back by their apelike master-mates .. men are afraid that women are better - and they are right to fear . . .

Women bring forth life from their own bodies; The Bible *ignores* that Mother was involved in the "Creation" - "God formed Man of the Dust of the [mother] Earth - and breathed into him. his Spirit-Breath - and man came to be a living soul."

The problem with these stupid jews is that they Had Father Yahweh *curse* his own Wife - "cursed be the ground on your account" .. and he also cursed the Woman because she had Sex with His Eldest Twin son - Lucifer

that is what the bible does not say^^

Blame it all on the Jews and their Patriarchal Society - twin religion of Islam; from Abraham's sons .. they are all just stupidly stuck 10,000 years in the past with women as slaves.. toss that retarded bible on the fire and lets make some real progress; at least Jesus Broke stupid tradition - except the Apostle Paul was probably a practising homosexual himself and he clearly hated himself - another twisted Moonbeam

Stupid brain-dead religious tradition can go to Hell!
-understand what marriage was for .. and it can certainly include two men or two women. Tradition is just Stupid.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: charrison

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Examples please.

Let start with this thread and the attempt to remove gender from our language. Men and women are different. Each gender is better at different things, however PC attempts to make it seem like we are all the same. We are different and we are all better for it.

Who has attempted to remove gender from our language? It's a common word that's been used for decades. Maybe people use it because it's easier to say partner and cover everything at once. Remember when the term 'politically correct' came out, it implied that the words being replaced were in some way offensive or intolerant and so to continue to use the old terms would be a bad thing. I see absolutely zero evidence of that in this case.

You seem to be taking the classic conservative persecution complex stance. Nobody is making you say anything you don't want to say, nobody is condemning you for using gendered language like husband and wife. If this is the best example you have, it's a laughably poor one.

Please supply an accurate example.

The problem with political correctness is not its use, but the outcry when it is not used, and the fact that it makes anything but a politically correct term an implied insult.

Calling a black man a black man is accurate, but unacceptable. Calling a wife a wife is greeted with unease. Large people must be called, ridiculously, people of size.

Also, it's not applied with an even hand. I'm not apologetically referred to as a Caucasian American, or a person of skinniness.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
One may not approve of homosexuality for example, yet tolerate it in the true sense. Accepting it is another matter. At the point one forces acceptance as the mandate then that's crossing the line. There is no inherent right to force people to accept homosexuality or black culture or religion or patriotism or any other "ism". People have the absolute right to be fools if that's how you choose to view them. The problem is when someone forces their beliefs on another. I don't mean talking to you about them, but acting in fact. You can talk to me about gay rights or God or Allah or whatever.

Riddle Homophobia Scale

Read it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21

The problem with political correctness is not its use, but the outcry when it is not used, and the fact that it makes anything but a politically correct term an implied insult.

Calling a black man a black man is accurate, but unacceptable. Calling a wife a wife is greeted with unease. Large people must be called, ridiculously, people of size.

Also, it's not applied with an even hand. I'm not apologetically referred to as a Caucasian American, or a person of skinniness.

Calling someone black isn't unacceptable. It happens all the time. Hell, Obama in his speech on race used 'black' repeatedly. Look through what Hillary Clinton has said in speeches lately, she uses the term all the time. So do lots of other people/publications/etc. Calling someone's wife their wife is treated with unease? You call fat people 'people of size'? I'm not sure where you live, but I have lived all over this country and I have never once seen any uneasiness with someone calling the woman they married their wife, and I have never even heard the term 'people of size'. I searched for it on Google, and I found 3 hits out of the first 20 that even used the term. Interestingly enough, one of those 3 hits talked about how 'people of size' wanted to just be called 'fat'.

You suffer from the same problem. You have this caricature of what you think political correctness is, and so you can complain about it all day long. The only problem is that it's not even remotely based in reality.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Calling someone black isn't unacceptable. It happens all the time. Hell, Obama in his speech on race used 'black' repeatedly. Look through what Hillary Clinton has said in speeches lately, she uses the term all the time. So do lots of other people/publications/etc. Calling someone's wife their wife is treated with unease? You call fat people 'people of size'? I'm not sure where you live, but I have lived all over this country and I have never once seen any uneasiness with someone calling the woman they married their wife, and I have never even heard the term 'people of size'. I searched for it on Google, and I found 3 hits out of the first 20 that even used the term. Interestingly enough, one of those 3 hits talked about how 'people of size' wanted to just be called 'fat'.

You suffer from the same problem. You have this caricature of what you think political correctness is, and so you can complain about it all day long. The only problem is that it's not even remotely based in reality.

Well, my opinion is that people only become politically correct when they're walking on thin ice; when they feel insecure about what they're doing.

I digress. Let's assume I'm wrong, for the reasons you say. What is political correctedness, then?

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
What is political correctedness, then?
Political correctness is a loaded synonym for civility. Politeness has always been debated. Some consider "excessive" politeness to be insulting to all parties (or even oppressive), while others note that if people were to stop censorship there would be anarchy.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: superstition
Political correctness is just loaded synonym for civility. Politeness has always been debated. Some consider "excessive" politeness to be insulting to all parties, while others note that if people were to stop censorship there would be anarchy.

true

and stupid apes are easily insulted; unlike smart ones
- who cares about the stupid apes?
rose.gif

just be polite and follow you OWN rules

you will - balanced with other's will

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
just be polite
It's not that simple. In some cases one can argue that politeness (self-censorship) is a tool for taking away individuality. The ultimate civility is the hive. There is always going to be a conflict between the individual and society.

The real emphasis should be on education, because the more educated a person is the less irrational they will behave, generally. Irrationality/ignorance is the big problem.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Political correctness is just loaded synonym for civility. Politeness has always been debated. Some consider "excessive" politeness to be insulting to all parties, while others note that if people were to stop censorship there would be anarchy.

I agree. For me, political correctness is the "excessive" politeness, for which we have no need.

I don't like Political Correct terms because there's an implied statement that we have some right not to be insulted, and we can perceive anything we want as an insult.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
The problem with not having politeness, though, is that everyone has the right to happiness. There is a conflict between our freedom and the freedom of others.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Are we politically correct here?

No one has yet died here in P&N because of rudeness or lack of political "correctness"
rose.gif

at least not yet
:evil:
We have moderators who ban people who cross the line.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
One may not approve of homosexuality for example, yet tolerate it in the true sense. Accepting it is another matter. At the point one forces acceptance as the mandate then that's crossing the line. There is no inherent right to force people to accept homosexuality or black culture or religion or patriotism or any other "ism". People have the absolute right to be fools if that's how you choose to view them. The problem is when someone forces their beliefs on another. I don't mean talking to you about them, but acting in fact. You can talk to me about gay rights or God or Allah or whatever.

Riddle Homophobia Scale

Read it.

Ok, I read it.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
You should get a daughter to teach you about your own ignorance.

Actually I have do have a daughter and she is goign to best whatever she wants to be.

Men and women aren't all that different, i've served with women that have been every last bit of as capable as me and i'm a Captain of the SAS, i've found that when you LET your daughter roam free, well, then she outclasses the boys in shit like math and engineering, in fact, the most advanced forms of engineering of today are ALL results of women. But that sucks for you because you don't believe in saving the air, shit like catalytic converters or the latest fuel cell developments are lost on the likes of you, BIG oil men.

wtf? Big oil men are you talking about?

WHY is it not OK for a man to put fatherhood ahead of career, when you answer that question, you'll have your anser.
Before we had out daughter, it was discussed who would stay home and raise. We both decided my wife would stay home, I wold hav ebeen more than happy to do the same.

Women are not lesser beings and i'm sorry to have to break it to you twat, they are not slaves opf men either, not anymore, they have been for millions of years but not anymore because you know what? Physical strenght isn't that important and they ARE usually smarter than men.

At no point did I say they were lesser beings or slaves you knucklehead. I just said we naturally excel at different things.

[/quote]

Yeah, you "decided" that your wife would stay home, you may think you actually agreed on that but society says it's the womans job and lo and behold, you decide as society says you should.

You HAVE said that they cannot achieve greatness through intelligence in math and engineering, why can't they do that? Curie sure did, didn't she? Maybe your wife could too, but women belong in the kitchen, right?

Fuck you for tying your wife to the home with "we decided she should take care of the children", if you had any balls, ANY balls at all you'd share it with her which "you'd be more than happy with".

Words, words, words, that is all i ever hear from you "more than happy with being home" twats, never actions, just words.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
random, The problem with your argument is that people don't have the moral right to take away the happiness of others in order to foster/facilitate prejudicial irrationality or opportunism. People do have an obligation to society to not be bigots. People who refuse to treat others with respect can always find a cave somewhere, because if anyone is to function in society some measure of civility is required.

This is why education is the key. If people are educated, they won't be heterosexist/homophobic because they'll know that homosexuality is not a disorder and that prejudice is the only "problem of homosexuality", not the orientation itself.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The problem with not having politeness, though, is that everyone has the right to happiness. There is a conflict between our freedom and the freedom of others.

Happiness is defined differently

Some people like to cut themselves while having sex
- or beating others makes them "happy"

F^CK HAPPINESS .. it is no "right" .. we have only a 'shot" at the pursuit of it.

no conflict

it is "will"

and there is a balance

'self-interest' is what destroyed our political system - happiness of the privileged - causes pain to the majority; and those rich bastards are STILL not happy. Happiness is an illusion . . . it comes from within; being at one with ourselves .. if we are we naturally work well with others

Screw PC
rose.gif

my conclusion

=========
Are we politically correct here?

No one has yet died here in P&N because of rudeness or lack of political "correctness"
rose.gif

at least not yet
:evil:
We have moderators who ban people who cross the line.
*Precisely* .. WHO CROSS THAT LINE !!
[and some of them are too PC, *perhaps* - unless you missed it]

you agree with me and i with you

what blows MY mind is that i agree with John of Sheffield
:Q

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Which is why the "Golden Rule" is flawed. It's an egoistic conception of civility because it's based too much in the individual's perception of happiness. However, it's certainly better than a predatory attitude.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not sure I agree. We have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Equality of opportunity, not of outcome.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Which is why the "Golden Rule" is flawed. It's an egoistic conception of civility because it's based too much in the individual's perception of happiness. However, it's certainly better than a predatory attitude.

Flawed .. it is STUPID

what if the person wanting to "do unto you like unto themself"
- what he likes is torture and masochism - like some "christians" that are filled with hate and want to stick you in their PRISON - is insane?

what then?
rose.gif

Buddah had a better one

"Do NOT do .. "

the medical profession has it as Rule1
"do no harm"

also imperfect .. for they also do very little good

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Riddle Homophobia Scale

Read it.
Gay/lesbians are sick, crazy, immoral, sinful, wicked,
and damn entertaining and fun to be around.

Some are great fun, others are as boring as anyone else :p

. A guy I work with (who happens to be gay and that matters only in this thread, at least to some) happens to be waiting for the new Camaro convertibles to come out. We're both interested in them so I bought him a remote control concept car. That thing kicks ass!