Is the word "Partner" the new politically correct term for "husband" and "wife"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: yllus
My immediate reaction to you writing it was, "This guy is a homophobe, and is attempting to convey a homophobic message while trying to sound like he isn't." Frankly, it sounds like it bugs you that they (homosexuals) are having an influence on the language you consider yours.

Obviously just my opinion. Hopefully you take it as something to think about instead of an indictment - you're of course free to feel any way you wish towards anyone on Earth. Personally, I hate puppeteers.

Edit: I meant puppeteers, since puppets clearly aren't people. :eek:

This is just more politically correct nonsense.

This is just more nonsense.

How do you feel about gays, charrison? Are you a bigot? IN favor of equal marital rights?

I dont have a problem with gays. However I feel that marriage is between a man and woman. If they want to live together fine, it does not bother me. If they want a civil union, go ahead.

And no I am not bigot.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Partner has been used for non-married heterosexual couples for as long as I can remember. What else do you call two people in a committed monogamous relationship but yet aren't married?

Cautious!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Why does it matter? Calling the person you are married to your husband or wife isn't looked down upon at all... I've heard people use the term partner for as long as I can remember. Do you have even a single experience where someone has stated explicitly or implicitly that saying husband or wife is not okay? I'm guessing not. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I for one will never understand the hate towards 'political correctness'. It's simply about respect for other people.

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Exactly wrong.

Are racial names - the ones with history of use by bigots - ok, or is it respectful not to use them?

Is a CEO calling the female VP at the meeting a 'girl' on a regular basis ok, or is it respectful not to?

Is him calling the black VP 'boy' ok, or is it respectful for him not to?

Is referring to someone in a wheelchair as a 'gimp' ok, or respectful not to?

All of us agree PC can be taken too far, by men and womyn alike. But those I see against it without qualification, like charrison, come across to me as thoughtless and inconsiderate.

I see a sort of excessive problem-with-authority adolescent rebellion, sometimes to the extreme that they get all giggly using non-PC terms, or more likely, as followers in a mob mentality cheering on someone who 'dares' to use them, like a bunch of naughty boys playing with matches. I have yet to see any thoughtful reasoning from opponents.

What I see are people who have the ability to see things from someone else's point of view, and who can recognize bigotry, and those who are unable to.

It's odd, most bigots I have met are not aware of their own bigotry, it seems. I'll even say I've occassionally discovered some bigotry in myself I was surprised to realize.

People should get the respect they deserve, no adult should called a boy or girl in such a disrespectful manner. However, we do recognize our differences.

Why is not PC to say that men are more capable at math and engineering?
Why is not PC for a woman to put motherhood ahead of career?
Why is not PC for us to accept that some groups are better at some things than other groups?

Why must gender be watered down for something to be PC. Why must to be PC, women must be as capable as men in all categories.

This is the problem I have with PC, we are all different with different talents that as a whole make us better. We need to embrace the difference not pretend we are all the same so everything is fair and equal.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

People should get the respect they deserve, no adult should called a boy or girl in such a disrespectful manner. However, we do recognize our differences.

Why is not PC for us to accept that some groups are better at some things than other groups?

Why must gender be watered down for something to be PC. Why must to be PC, women must be as capable as men in all categories.

This is the problem I have with PC, we are all different with different talents that as a whole make us better. We need to embrace the difference not pretend we are all the same so everything is fair and equal.

What planet do you live on? This post explains a lot about you though.

1.) It's perfectly okay to say that men are better then women at science and engineering. What is not okay is to say that it is biological in origin because there isn't sufficient biological evidence to back that up. So to say that men are inherently better would be not PC because it would not be a supportable statement.
2.) Who said it was not okay for a woman to put motherhood in front of her career? I've never even heard of anyone saying this was a problem.
3.) What groups are you referring to?

I think you have some extremely warped view of what political correctness is. It seems to be some sort of product of right wing propaganda that is severely distorting your world view. Before you dislike something you should probably make more of an effort to know what it actually is, and make an effort to base your arguments against it more firmly in reality.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: sirjonk
I think gay couples everywhere would love to call their partner their husband or wife if 40 fucking states didn't go out and ban gay marriage. Bigoted 2-faced "we don't discriminate" flyover craptards.

Ok i feel better.

maybe if gays did the not try the hijack the tradition term marriage. the bond betwen a man woman(however imperfect it may be). it would not be a problem.

We put ourselves in a bad position when we allowed government to manage marriages.

When you are reasonable is is easy to agree with you
:heart:

However I feel that marriage is between a man and woman. If they want to live together fine, it does not bother me. If they want a civil union, go ahead.
Who cares what you feel? You are no "authority" on anything

rose.gif

FOR MODERN SOCIETY - is it better to have a loving "marriage" between two happy, committed and well adjusted gay people OR two renegade "married" straight serial killers - a "man and a woman"?

which "feels" more natural - to you - Bonnie and Clyde or Will and 'Grace'?

well?

who would you rather have living next door if you could only choose the gender of your next door neighbor's couple?
==========
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Partner has been used for non-married heterosexual couples for as long as I can remember. What else do you call two people in a committed monogamous relationship but yet aren't married?

Cautious!
*brilliant* .. or at least really smart .. the taxes are another thing .. they have to get a "civil union" and - even if not, after awhile - they are stuck together same as "married" by "common law"

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

1.) It's perfectly okay to say that men are better then women at science and engineering. What is not okay is to say that it is biological in origin because there isn't sufficient biological evidence to back that up. So to say that men are inherently better would be not PC because it would not be a supportable statement.
What difference does it make if it is or is not not biological? But studies do point to toward it being biological as the mathematical genius men outnumber women by something like 100 to 1. The studies basically say men and women on average have very similar intelligence, but on the high end of the spectrum men dominate. The flip side to this study, on the low end men dominate as well by the same ratios.

2.) Who said it was not okay for a woman to put motherhood in front of her career? I've never even heard of anyone saying this was a problem.

You have not been paying attention then.

Does it matter what groups are? We are not all the same. but you are trying to make us that way.

I think you have some extremely warped view of what political correctness is. It seems to be some sort of product of right wing propaganda that is severely distorting your world view. Before you dislike something you should probably make more of an effort to know what it actually is, and make an effort to base your arguments against it more firmly in reality.

I am quite understand what is going on here. You are actually proving my point by making an effort to make it sound as if we are all the same and we are not. And guess what, I have no problem that we are all different.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin

Who cares what you feel? You are no "authority" on anything

And neither are you.....

rose.gif

FOR MODERN SOCIETY - is it better to have a loving "marriage" between two happy, committed and well adjusted gay people OR two renegade "married" straight serial killers - a "man and a woman"?

which "feels" more natural - to you - Bonnie and Clyde or Will and 'Grace'?

well?

who would you rather have living next door if you could only choose the gender of your next door neighbor's couple?

I could care less who lives next door to me. I dont want serial killers living next door, but that has got nothing to do with the argument of marriage. As I stated before, marriage is between a man and woman. And even if it is imperfect, it still is important to keep this tradition defined as it is.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What difference does it make if it is or is not not biological? But studies do point to toward it being biological as the mathematical genius men outnumber women by something like 100 to 1. The studies basically say men and women on average have very similar intelligence, but on the high end of the spectrum men dominate. The flip side to this study, on the low end men dominate as well by the same ratios.

You have not been paying attention then.

Does it matter what groups are? We are not all the same. but you are trying to make us that way.

I am quite understand what is going on here. You are actually proving my point by making an effort to make it sound as if we are all the same and we are not. And guess what, I have no problem that we are all different.

1.) It makes every difference if it is biological or not for obvious reasons. If something is socialized then it doesn't have to be that way. (and there is no particular reason society gains by having only men in those fields) If it is biological then there's no sense in swimming against the tide. Your evidence you are citing is EXTREMELY flimsy to support your assertion. To make an opinion that you would support strongly based on it would be incredibly ignorant.

2.) Oh, so it's another one of those 'I just know that's how things are' things from the right wing. Show me something to back up what you're saying here or can it.

3.) It matters very much what groups you are talking about. If you want to say that men are better then women at power lifting on average, this is something that can be backed up by scientific evidence. Men have larger and stronger muscles. If you're trying to say that Asian people are better at math because of their biological super Asian math brains, that is not backed up by scientific evidence.

It seems like you are mostly just mistaking socialization for some sort of inherent advantage. Once you get past that you'll understand what I'm talking about. I have in no way proved your point in the slightest.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
it still is important to keep this tradition defined as it is.

oh .. tradition . . .

why didn't you say so from the beginning? .. illogical stuff .. based on what your grand parents did - you may hate their old ways but still like useless "tradition" as a "gesture" to bigotry, perhaps

I get it .. kinda like carrying the pope on a gold throne while his priests continue to prey on their faithful
rose.gif

that is 'tradition' also .. almost as long as marriage

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
[
1.) It makes every difference if it is biological or not for obvious reasons. If something is socialized then it doesn't have to be that way. (and there is no particular reason society gains by having only men in those fields) If it is biological then there's no sense in swimming against the tide. Your evidence you are citing is EXTREMELY flimsy to support your assertion. To make an opinion that you would support strongly based on it would be incredibly ignorant.

Go read up the studies that cover this. The basic conclusion is that mens brains are wired different than women. Part of this is social, but part of it is not. What make men excell at the head also appears to handicap them at the low end as well. Women appear to lodged "safely" in the middle, which makes them far less likely to be supersmart or superdumb.
Men and women are different, but anyone with 1/2 a brain will know that.

2.) Oh, so it's another one of those 'I just know that's how things are' things from the right wing. Show me something to back up what you're saying here or can it.

I guess you missed the missed the entire movement that stated women can do anything a man can do,. And al ot of people bought into it as well, putting their career in front of kids only to later regret such decisions.

3.) It matters very much what groups you are talking about. If you want to say that men are better then women at power lifting on average, this is something that can be backed up by scientific evidence. Men have larger and stronger muscles. If you're trying to say that Asian people are better at math because of their biological super Asian math brains, that is not backed up by scientific evidence.

People from kenya seem to do well at distance running. An obvious physical trait.
Asians do seem to do better at math, at least statistically anyway. Is this social or genetic? I think it is safe to say no onw knows for sure, but we sure cant deny they do perform better in this area.

it seems you are willing accept physical differences, but not so eager to accept cognitive differences. but I will agree those are much more abstract and harder to prove.

It seems like you are mostly just mistaking socialization for some sort of inherent advantage. Once you get past that you'll understand what I'm talking about. I have in no way proved your point in the slightest.

Other than you continue state we are all the same, when it obvious that men and women are different, both physical and mental. the same can be said of other groups as well.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

oh .. tradition . . .

why didn't you say so from the beginning? .. illogical stuff .. based on what your grand parents did - you may hate their old ways but still like useless "tradition" as a "gesture" to bigotry, perhaps

I get it .. kinda like carrying the pope on a gold throne while his priests continue to prey on their faithful
rose.gif

So tell me if this tradition is so illogocial, why would any logical person want to be part of it.

You may see marriage as illogical, but it is an important human tradition.

The can walk for all I care, but I think it is important for kids to have stable home with a mother and father. Can this be done without marriage? Yes, but it works out better for the most part when are committed to each other.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
[

Go read up the studies that cover this. The basic conclusion is that mens brains are wired different than women. Part of this is social, but part of it is not. What make men excell at the head also appears to handicap them at the low end as well. Women appear to lodged "safely" in the middle, which makes them far less likely to be supersmart or superdumb.
Men and women are different, but anyone with 1/2 a brain will know that.

I guess you missed the missed the entire movement that stated women can do anything a man can do,. And al ot of people bought into it as well, putting their career in front of kids only to later regret such decisions.

People from kenya seem to do well at distance running. An obvious physical trait.
Asians do seem to do better at math, at least statistically anyway. Is this social or genetic? I think it is safe to say no onw knows for sure, but we sure cant deny they do perform better in this area.

it seems you are willing accept physical differences, but not so eager to accept cognitive differences. but I will agree those are much more abstract and harder to prove.

Other than you continue state we are all the same, when it obvious that men and women are different, both physical and mental. the same can be said of other groups as well.

Please show me one place I have ever stated that we are all the same. You've said this twice now and both times it's been a lie. You don't understand political correctness in the slightest, you've twisted it into some sort of boogeyman based on what you think it should be. It's easy to knock things down when you turn them into something they aren't isn't it?

Whether or not women regret their choices to leave the home or not has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about. Insofar as our modern economy is concerned with very very very few exceptions women can do any job a man can do. Your attempt to prove otherwise through science, math, and IQ outliers does nothing to address the actual substance of that argument.

You are slowly coming to my position though, and this is encouraging. There is a large difference between something biological and something social. Pretty much if a certain group of people is better then another due to some sort of socialization effect, then it is entirely reversible and shouldn't mean the slightest thing. If a group is better because of a biological reason, then that's something we should recognize and accept. (by the way, Kenya might not be a good example of physical traits, the altitude and social atmosphere in Kenya strongly encourages good runners.)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

oh .. tradition . . .

rose.gif

So tell me if this tradition is so illogocial, why would any logical person want to be part of it.

The can walk for all I care, but I think it is important for kids to have stable home with a mother and father. Can this be done without marriage? Yes, but it works out better for the most part when are committed to each other.

for you and for people who think like you

not for everyone
rose.gif

It is tradition .. it should be questioned and adapted as we evolve - idont' give a crap about "tradition" in a Patriarchial Society .. just over a century ago a woman was the "property" of her husband; women didn't vote and they still treated like shit by men

yes that is also tradition

you know where you can stick traditon

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

oh .. tradition . . .

rose.gif

for you and for people who think like you

not for everyone
rose.gif

It is tradition .. it should be questioned and adapted as we evolve - idont' give a crap about "tradition" in a Patriarchial Society .. just over a century ago a woman was the "property" of her husband; women didn't vote and they still treated like shit by men

yes that is also tradition

you know where you can stick traditon

Whoah down there boy! I shore could use some help 'round here and this Tradishun thing might just be what I need!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Whoah down there boy! I shore could use some help 'round here and this Tradishun thing might just be what I need!

homosexuality is also a tradition in some societies .. think Greece .. 2K years ago
rose.gif

or San Francisco .. there is more than rice-a-roni in the City by the Bay

which tradition do you need?

i swear to Drunk i am NOT god!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Then stop attacking respectful speech as 'PC', and attack the specific issues you think are excessive.

To answer your questions:

A reason not to say that men are more capable at math and engineering:

First, I'm no expert on the biological differences, so my answer doesn't assume either way.

- Because there's a long history of pushing women out of those fields, and that hurts them beyond any 'natural' issue.

- Because there are plenty of women who are far better at math and engineering than you, so the differences are slight enough that pointing them out serves only to damage

- Because pointing out a difference like that is often an excuse for some sort of misogyny, trying to 'keep women down' more broadly (no pun intended)

Why is it not PC for a woman to put motherhood ahead of career?

You have left the topic of PC language, and crossed into some other issue you have.

You exaggerate the issue, for a start - many women do put motherhood first, and are supported in doing so.

- There's a history of women being pressured and denied opportunities they want, to make them have to choose motherhood. That's a problem.

- Again, the 'motherhood' issue is used by some as a 'put-down' to women, implying that only men are to be taken seriously.

You don't make at all clear what your issue there is - it's like a rehash of the 1970's debates on feminism trying to make all the choices available to women.

You ask why it's not PC to point out that 'some groups are better at some things than other groups'.

The answer includes:

- Because nearly all of the time, such discussions are cover for bigotry. 'Blacks sure do like that fried chicken and watermelon' is a fun comment for anti-black racists, as it's said in a sort of put down way to make the speakers feel they've somehow made themselves superior by noting an alleged racial trait. Why do they care about black diet? They don't, they just like being able to talk about 'those people' in a nudge nudge wink wink put down.

- Because the reasons, between nature vs. nurture, are typically far from understood, and such discussions usually are nothing more, again, than a sort of defense for bigotry.

The very act of trying to look for and talk about such traits is to box people into a group, and prevent them from having their other attributes recognized equally.

Imagine a business meeting where the chair tells the woman present she looks very nice. It may be and probably is true, but it has an implied message, 'you're female'.

It has a negative effect on her standing in the group, without saying it it creates a division and second-class status for her, much of the time.

So, you just don't do it, out of respect for her.

No one seemed to catch my earlier use of the word "womyn" as an example of PC gone too far, when some wanted "women" changed because it implied they're just a form of "men".

Attack the specifics you don't like, and show respect to people. Respect I don't see much in your posts now, frankly, which are all about how you don't like PC, not any concern.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
First, I'm no expert on the biological differences

i am

what would you like to know .. physical? emotional?, sexual? cultural influences? religion? - mother-god religion, earth goddess; psychology? woman as virgin, woman as whore, whore-virgin complex; nurturing, bearing children? role as mother, wife, woman in matriarchal society .. etc?

there is a lot to [un]cover .. and a lot to like
-except perhaps for maybe almost one week in 4 .. and that is a hormonal cycle

rose.gif

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
since you are admitting it .. awesome, i *still* don't hate you

Jesus told his followers to "love - even their enemies, and to even PRAY for those PERSECUTING you" .. in that context of love, he is telling real Christians to LOVE gay people also.

the word love is from the Greek 'agape' and not to be confused with the sexplay with your GF or another boy that is 'eros'

have fun exploring your new experiences .. but drop the bigot-part .. it is self-defeating and hateful .. unlike your supposed "God of Love" that you are commanded to "imitate" as your Teacher also loved even his enemys

Did i get it all right? .. or shall i keep on preaching love till you get it?
rose.gif

If you enjoy preaching to the choir, feel free to continue.

more love .. or perhaps sex education ?

i am qualified

So I am a bigot, and a homosexual.

Maybe we should move this to L&R .. but ..

How are your new experiences with the boys going? are you feeling confusion or do you feel Jesus will forgive you - or that it is just OK with Him?

rose.gif

Maybe we could ask moonie for help ..
i don't have a lot of experience with "gay" plus "bigoted" - not even separately; this seems to be more in the "self-hate" dept; we need a real expert:

paging self hate ... paging self hate ... paging self hate .. Mr Self-Hate, there is a Blue-Light Special in the Partner thread

:laugh:

My guess is that you start these battles and create misunderstanding so you can get close to feeling some sort of self pity in being misunderstood, sort of a persecution complex common among many Christians, but not of course the peoples of the religions of Christendom because that really does sound like it means all of them, maybe a mania before a depression, the genius that's misunderstood and way way ahead of his time??? Anyway, as an expert is self hate, that's one route I'd take.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

A few minutes ago while listening to an archived NPR clip, I heard a reporter refer to her husband as her "partner" without ever mentioning the word husband. (I assume she had a husband and not a lesbian partner since she was talking about her son too.) I also read a local newspaper article where a travel writer referred to her husband as her "partner".

Now, it isn't linguistically incorrect to do that, but I've noticed the use of "my partner" in place of "my husband" or "my wife" more and more often lately.

So, is using "my partner" instead of "my husband" or "my wife" part of the rules of political correctness now? For years, homosexuals would refer to their partners as simply "my partner" and I would always assume that anyone who had a "partner" was referring to a homosexual partner. Is this new use of "my partner" to refer to heterosexual partners an attempt to change the language in order to mainstream homosexuality?

For the record, I'm not homophobic or anti-gay and I don't have a problem with gay marriage. However, I do have a problem with political correctness perverting our language.

LOL, this sheit coming from a yank? You must be taking the piss.

You're the nation that is known for fuck and shit, that is your only linguistic heritage, son.

Jun 26, 2007
Why does it matter? Calling the person you are married to your husband or wife isn't looked down upon at all... I've heard people use the term partner for as long as I can remember. Do you have even a single experience where someone has stated explicitly or implicitly that saying husband or wife is not okay? I'm guessing not. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I for one will never understand the hate towards 'political correctness'. It's simply about respect for other people.

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Exactly wrong.

Are racial names - the ones with history of use by bigots - ok, or is it respectful not to use them?

Is a CEO calling the female VP at the meeting a 'girl' on a regular basis ok, or is it respectful not to?

Is him calling the black VP 'boy' ok, or is it respectful for him not to?

Is referring to someone in a wheelchair as a 'gimp' ok, or respectful not to?

All of us agree PC can be taken too far, by men and womyn alike. But those I see against it without qualification, like charrison, come across to me as thoughtless and inconsiderate.

I see a sort of excessive problem-with-authority adolescent rebellion, sometimes to the extreme that they get all giggly using non-PC terms, or more likely, as followers in a mob mentality cheering on someone who 'dares' to use them, like a bunch of naughty boys playing with matches. I have yet to see any thoughtful reasoning from opponents.

What I see are people who have the ability to see things from someone else's point of view, and who can recognize bigotry, and those who are unable to.

It's odd, most bigots I have met are not aware of their own bigotry, it seems. I'll even say I've occassionally discovered some bigotry in myself I was surprised to realize.

You should get a daughter to teach you about your own ignorance.

Men and women aren't all that different, i've served with women that have been every last bit of as capable as me and i'm a Captain of the SAS, i've found that when you LET your daughter roam free, well, then she outclasses the boys in shit like math and engineering, in fact, the most advanced forms of engineering of today are ALL results of women. But that sucks for you because you don't believe in saving the air, shit like catalytic converters or the latest fuel cell developments are lost on the likes of you, BIG oil men.

WHY is it not OK for a man to put fatherhood ahead of career, when you answer that question, you'll have your anser.

Women are not lesser beings and i'm sorry to have to break it to you twat, they are not slaves opf men either, not anymore, they have been for millions of years but not anymore because you know what? Physical strenght isn't that important and they ARE usually smarter than men.

Me, there is nothing i admire more than womanhood, they are the missing part of me and while i do make most of my personal decisions on my own, all of them pretty much just goes back to women.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
You should get a daughter to teach you about your own ignorance.

Actually I have do have a daughter and she is goign to best whatever she wants to be.

Men and women aren't all that different, i've served with women that have been every last bit of as capable as me and i'm a Captain of the SAS, i've found that when you LET your daughter roam free, well, then she outclasses the boys in shit like math and engineering, in fact, the most advanced forms of engineering of today are ALL results of women. But that sucks for you because you don't believe in saving the air, shit like catalytic converters or the latest fuel cell developments are lost on the likes of you, BIG oil men.

[/quote]

wtf? Big oil men are you talking about?

WHY is it not OK for a man to put fatherhood ahead of career, when you answer that question, you'll have your anser.
Before we had out daughter, it was discussed who would stay home and raise. We both decided my wife would stay home, I wold hav ebeen more than happy to do the same.

Women are not lesser beings and i'm sorry to have to break it to you twat, they are not slaves opf men either, not anymore, they have been for millions of years but not anymore because you know what? Physical strenght isn't that important and they ARE usually smarter than men.

At no point did I say they were lesser beings or slaves you knucklehead. I just said we naturally excel at different things.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
As for PC bullshit, it's what gay people have to put up with which causes them to use the word partner in the first place instead of spouse. It's the bullshit that causes them to have to argue for a simple human right - marriage, in the face of endless stupidity.

But, yes... sometimes the word partner is something people, gay or not, are comfortable with because they don't consider their partners spouses.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Partner usually refers to mates in a gay relationship - unless talking of lawyers... But then, who gives a shit.

The thing that irritates me to no end is the hyphenated last names - most notable with women. So after several generations of this, there could be last names that are 50-100 letters long. I think the spanish do this.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There are certain common sense things to avoid getting in trouble. There are words you don't yell at a Black Panther and others you don't at a KKK rally. It's just stupid. On the other hand, I greatly dislike PCness. I don't care much for the Thought Police enforcing their sensibilities on others. There is a great deal of difference between tolerance and acceptance. One may not approve of homosexuality for example, yet tolerate it in the true sense. Accepting it is another matter. At the point one forces acceptance as the mandate then that's crossing the line. There is no inherent right to force people to accept homosexuality or black culture or religion or patriotism or any other "ism". People have the absolute right to be fools if that's how you choose to view them. The problem is when someone forces their beliefs on another. I don't mean talking to you about them, but acting in fact. You can talk to me about gay rights or God or Allah or whatever. That's free speech. When you forcibly detain me or punish someone for not adopting a particular POV, then that's wrong.

I've heard it said (and I agree) that freedom of speech is useless without the freedom to offend. I will tolerate it, however if you force someone to accept it, there's the issue.

As far as the OP's point- I believe if someone wants to use the word "partner" that's their business and I have no problem. I DO have an issue if NPR were to have a list of "recommended substitutions" that they "encourage" people to use to promote "sensitivity". That's a long way of saying coercion. I don't care for NewSpeak.