Is the word "Partner" the new politically correct term for "husband" and "wife"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: apoppin
otoh, the peoples of the religions of christendom are bigoted hypocrites

:confused:

Hell yeah

show me from the Book

especially what Jesus Would Did[do] :p

My reply was in regards to you calling Christians bigots, which is a rather bigoted remark to make.

I had no idea that I hated homosexuals until you told me I did.

Do you ?

Did i really say you do ? .. or perhaps there is something within yourself that is either repressed or sensitive to what i did NOT say. Freud might have something to say to you about it on his couch in the day.

i said the "peoples of the religions of christendom" are bigoted

do you not see ANY difference?
rose.gif

or would you like me to point you to some examples of bigotry by peoples of the religions of christendom?

If you are a Christian, you would already know that you are NOT to hate homosexuals.

it is in the book

my apologies if i mistook you for a cardboard cutout of yourself

You mean all those hot chicks were just i love you hags?
i was going to say google it .. but then you get pics :p

i love you hags are women that have gay men as best friends .. they are "safe" and are .. friends

i love you hag is pretty demeaning

this is safe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_hag

A i love you hag is a slang term for a woman who either associates mostly or exclusively with homosexual men, or is best or good friends to a gay man or men. It originated in gay male culture in the United States and was historically an insult.[1] Some women who associate with gay men object to being called i love you hags,[2] while others embrace the term.[3][4] The male counterpart, men who have similar interpersonal relationships with lesbian women, are called *** tykes; furthermore people who associate with gays, lesbians, and bisexuals may be called "fruit flies" regardless of their sex.

i love you hags are frequently stereotyped as outgoing women who are seeking a substitute for heterosexual relationships, or who are secretly sexually attracted to gay men.[5][6] In fact, many women who identify as i love you hags are already in romantic relationships, either with straight men or with women[6] but appreciate the alternative experience of socializing with gay men.

In interviews with gay men and self-described i love you hags, the most common theme is safety.[7] A rich relationship can develop between a straight woman and a gay man without sexual tension. The i love you hag relationship allows the participants to separate intimacy and sexuality. The term i love you hag can also mean a gay icon.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: charrison

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Examples please.

Let start with this thread and the attempt to remove gender from our language. Men and women are different. Each gender is better at different things, however PC attempts to make it seem like we are all the same. We are different and we are all better for it.

Who has attempted to remove gender from our language? It's a common word that's been used for decades. Maybe people use it because it's easier to say partner and cover everything at once. Remember when the term 'politically correct' came out, it implied that the words being replaced were in some way offensive or intolerant and so to continue to use the old terms would be a bad thing. I see absolutely zero evidence of that in this case.

You seem to be taking the classic conservative persecution complex stance. Nobody is making you say anything you don't want to say, nobody is condemning you for using gendered language like husband and wife. If this is the best example you have, it's a laughably poor one.

Please supply an accurate example.

I disagree. There has been an attempt to change the language, maybe you are fine with it. I am not.
You can have the loose and vague term of partner, but I much prefer more specific term of husband and wife for married couples.

There has been a significant to remove gender differences from our culture and that is a big part of PC. If you cant see that you are blind.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Do you ?

Did i really say you do ? .. or perhaps there is something within yourself that is either repressed or sensitive to what i did NOT say. Freud might have something to say to you about it on his couch in the day.

rose.gif

or would you like me to point you to some examples of bigotry by peoples of the religions of christendom?

If you are a Christian, you would already know that you are NOT to hate homosexuals.

it is in the book

Well, I am a Christian, and you said I hate homosexuals.

Maybe you shouldn't stereotype a billion people, it makes you look like a bigot. ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Do you ?

rose.gif

it is in the book

Well, I am a Christian, and you said I hate homosexuals.

Maybe you shouldn't stereotype a billion people, it makes you look like a bigot. ;)
You are insane

find where i said it .. *in Bold*
rose.gif

a challenge to the ADD
- perhaps you do hate homosexuals .. i don't know that - you could be gay
-i dunno .. i don't care, it's beside my point

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
find where i said it .. *in Bold*
rose.gif

a challenge to the ADD

:heart:

"otoh, the peoples of the religions of christendom are bigoted hypocrites"

:|

If that isn't what you meant, :eek:

_then what did you mean? :confused:

:p

- perhaps you do hate homosexuals .. i don't know that

If I do, then its news to me. :confused:

- you could be gay

If I am, that's also news to me, and my GF will be highly upset, too! :shocked:

-i dunno .. i don't care, it's beside my point

Not that there's anything wrong with that? :confused:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
We're seriously arguing over a common and general term such as 'partner' to refer to husband/wives?I think this oversensitivity to political correctness is becoming more annoying than political correctness. The OP + charrison are idiots.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Phokus
I think this oversensitivity to political correctness is becoming more annoying than political correctness

don't be so sensitive now :p

rose.gif

yes, bamacre .. i stand by what i said about you

maybe someone else can explain - maybe they can use pictures - what this really means .. i already tried twice

i think someone that is not insane or a little kid should be able to figure it out - especially after i explained it

Having a GF means crap-all; you may find you like men better later. Many gay men have good sex with their GFs and even their wives and raise families only to "come out" later :p
-- and your GF might really like it too!!
:Q
so who knows? - don't be smug or feel "superior"; evidently you are young
There is a subdivision of "gay" that actually encompasses it - it is called *bisexual* and is just as hated by bigoted peoples of the religions of christendom

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Examples please.

Let start with this thread and the attempt to remove gender from our language. Men and women are different. Each gender is better at different things, however PC attempts to make it seem like we are all the same. We are different and we are all better for it.

Who has attempted to remove gender from our language? It's a common word that's been used for decades. Maybe people use it because it's easier to say partner and cover everything at once. Remember when the term 'politically correct' came out, it implied that the words being replaced were in some way offensive or intolerant and so to continue to use the old terms would be a bad thing. I see absolutely zero evidence of that in this case.

You seem to be taking the classic conservative persecution complex stance. Nobody is making you say anything you don't want to say, nobody is condemning you for using gendered language like husband and wife. If this is the best example you have, it's a laughably poor one.

Please supply an accurate example.

I disagree. There has been an attempt to change the language, maybe you are fine with it. I am not.
You can have the loose and vague term of partner, but I much prefer more specific term of husband and wife for married couples.

There has been a significant to remove gender differences from our culture and that is a big part of PC. If you cant see that you are blind.

You did nothing to address my point.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I think this oversensitivity to political correctness is becoming more annoying than political correctness

rose.gif

maybe someone else can explain - maybe they can use pictures - what this really means .. i already tried twice

i think someone that is not insane or a little kid should be able to figure it out - especially after i explained it

Having a GF means crap-all; you may find you like men better later. Many gay men have good sex with their GFs and even their wives and raise families only to "come out" later :p
There is a subdivision of "gay" that actually encompasses it - it is called *bisexual* and is just as hated by bigoted peoples of the religions of christendom

So I am a bigot, and a homosexual.

Damn, you know more about me than me. You're a genius.

Oct 30, 2004
We're seriously arguing over a common and general term such as 'partner' to refer to husband/wives?I think this oversensitivity to political correctness is becoming more annoying than political correctness. The OP + charrison are idiots.

If you don't mind being told what to think or being influenced by a code of political correctness, then perhaps you're the real idiot.

Reread my original post carefully. Am I up in arms over this? No Am I really all that upset? Not particularly. I'm merely a little annoyed. I just wanted to point out my recent observation and to see if anyone else had noticed this and to see if anyone had evidence that a conspiracy existed in academia to replace the terms "my husband" and "my wife" with "my partner".

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

A few minutes ago while listening to an archived NPR clip, I heard a reporter refer to her husband as her "partner" without ever mentioning the word husband. (I assume she had a husband and not a lesbian partner since she was talking about her son too.) I also read a local newspaper article where a travel writer referred to her husband as her "partner".

Now, it isn't linguistically incorrect to do that, but I've noticed the use of "my partner" in place of "my husband" or "my wife" more and more often lately.

So, is using "my partner" instead of "my husband" or "my wife" part of the rules of political correctness now? For years, homosexuals would refer to their partners as simply "my partner" and I would always assume that anyone who had a "partner" was referring to a homosexual partner. Is this new use of "my partner" to refer to heterosexual partners an attempt to change the language in order to mainstream homosexuality?

For the record, I'm not homophobic or anti-gay and I don't have a problem with gay marriage. However, I do have a problem with political correctness perverting our language.

Just woke up from your nap, Rip Van Winkle?:clock:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

rose.gif

Damn, you know more about me than me. You're a genius.

Since you are admitting it .. awesome, i *still* don't hate you
- i love you also

Jesus told his followers to "love - even your enemies, and to even PRAY for those PERSECUTING you" .. in that context of love, Jesus is telling real Christians to LOVE gay people also.

the word "love" that Jesus used - principled love - is from the Greek 'agape' and is not to be confused with the sex-play you do with your GF or now with another boy - that is 'eros'

Have fun exploring your new experiences .. but drop the bigot-part .. it is self-defeating and hateful .. unlike your supposed "God of Love" that you are commanded to "imitate" as your Teacher also loved even his enemies

Did i get it all right? .. or shall i keep on preaching love till you get it?
rose.gif

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
since you are admitting it .. awesome, i *still* don't hate you

Jesus told his followers to "love - even their enemies, and to even PRAY for those PERSECUTING you" .. in that context of love, he is telling real Christians to LOVE gay people also.

the word love is from the Greek 'agape' and not to be confused with the sexplay with your GF or another boy that is 'eros'

have fun exploring your new experiences .. but drop the bigot-part .. it is self-defeating and hateful .. unlike your supposed "God of Love" that you are commanded to "imitate" as your Teacher also loved even his enemys

rose.gif

If you enjoy preaching to the choir, feel free to continue.

Sep 12, 2004
Nobody seems that offended when we refer to someone as our significant other. I don't see how partner is any different, at least at this point.

My problem with PC is when it makes competing words dirty or verboten to use. If "husband" or "wife" goes that way I'll complain. Until then it's just not worth expending the energy to get bent out of shape about.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
since you are admitting it .. awesome, i *still* don't hate you

Jesus told his followers to "love - even their enemies, and to even PRAY for those PERSECUTING you" .. in that context of love, he is telling real Christians to LOVE gay people also.

the word love is from the Greek 'agape' and not to be confused with the sexplay with your GF or another boy that is 'eros'

have fun exploring your new experiences .. but drop the bigot-part .. it is self-defeating and hateful .. unlike your supposed "God of Love" that you are commanded to "imitate" as your Teacher also loved even his enemys

rose.gif

If you enjoy preaching to the choir, feel free to continue.

more love .. or perhaps sex education ?

i am qualified

Maybe we should move this to L&R .. but ..

How are your new experiences with the boys going? are you feeling confusion or do you feel Jesus will forgive you - or that it is just OK with Him?

rose.gif

Maybe we could ask moonie for help ..
i don't have a lot of experience with "gay" plus "bigoted" - not even separately; this seems to be more in the "self-hate" dept; we need a real expert:

paging self hate ... paging self hate ... paging self hate .. Mr Self-Hate, there is a Blue-Light Special in the Partner thread

:laugh:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: sandorski
The only "PC BS" is those who constantly talk about "PC BS". Language changes, it's not a freakin conspiracy.

Pretty good speech made by Charlton Heston...
http://www.thevrwc.org/keepers/hestonSpeech.html

Not sure what that has to do with the Subject at hand.

Its about PC and freedom of speech? :D

Mostly about Freedom of Speech. "PC" is just a buzz word with little meaning as terminology is not only ever-changing, but has always had people changing it one way or the other. Both Liberals and Conservatives attempt to change Terminology all the time.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I don't mean to rain all over the anti-PC police parade, but has anybody considered the idea that people should be free to use whatever the hell terms they like? If someone came out and demanded that people use the phrase "partner" instead of "husband" and "wife", that would be cause for bitching...but nobody's done that. All anyone has done is use a different term than the one you might prefer in their own speech...OMG, better call O'Reilly :roll:. In fact, the only people I see here demanding that specific words be used are WhipperSnapper and company.

The funny part is that most of the anti-PC movement seems to be like this. Someone uses a different term than the "traditional" one, giving no impression that it's anything but a matter of personal taste, and the anti-PC police jump all over them, demanding that the use words approved by the Council of Extremely Christian Tight-Asses or whoever it is that decides what "traditional terms" are. So if you think about it, the political correctness is mostly coming from one side...and it's not the side WhipperSnapper and friends would have you believe.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I think gay couples everywhere would love to call their partner their husband or wife if 40 fucking states didn't go out and ban gay marriage. Bigoted 2-faced "we don't discriminate" flyover craptards.

Ok i feel better.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sirjonk
I think gay couples everywhere would love to call their partner their husband or wife if 40 fucking states didn't go out and ban gay marriage. Bigoted 2-faced "we don't discriminate" flyover craptards.

Ok i feel better.

maybe if gays did the not try the hijack the tradition term marriage. the bond betwen a man woman(however imperfect it may be). it would not be a problem.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Ok i feel better.

maybe if gays did the not try the hijack the tradition term marriage. the bond betwen a man woman(however imperfect it may be). it would not be a problem.

We put ourselves in a bad position when we allowed government to manage marriages.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Ok i feel better.

We put ourselves in a bad position when we allowed government to manage marriages.

I tend to agree with that. However, even if government was not involved, a large majority of people do not want to see the term marriage changed to be vague meaningless PC term.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus
My immediate reaction to you writing it was, "This guy is a homophobe, and is attempting to convey a homophobic message while trying to sound like he isn't." Frankly, it sounds like it bugs you that they (homosexuals) are having an influence on the language you consider yours.

Obviously just my opinion. Hopefully you take it as something to think about instead of an indictment - you're of course free to feel any way you wish towards anyone on Earth. Personally, I hate puppeteers.

Edit: I meant puppeteers, since puppets clearly aren't people. :eek:

This is just more politically correct nonsense.

This is just more nonsense.

How do you feel about gays, charrison? Are you a bigot? IN favor of equal marital rights?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why does it matter? Calling the person you are married to your husband or wife isn't looked down upon at all... I've heard people use the term partner for as long as I can remember. Do you have even a single experience where someone has stated explicitly or implicitly that saying husband or wife is not okay? I'm guessing not. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I for one will never understand the hate towards 'political correctness'. It's simply about respect for other people.

Exactly wrong.

Are racial names - the ones with history of use by bigots - ok, or is it respectful not to use them?

Is a CEO calling the female VP at the meeting a 'girl' on a regular basis ok, or is it respectful not to?

Is him calling the black VP 'boy' ok, or is it respectful for him not to?

Is referring to someone in a wheelchair as a 'gimp' ok, or respectful not to?

All of us agree PC can be taken too far, by men and womyn alike. But those I see against it without qualification, like charrison, come across to me as thoughtless and inconsiderate.

I see a sort of excessive problem-with-authority adolescent rebellion, sometimes to the extreme that they get all giggly using non-PC terms, or more likely, as followers in a mob mentality cheering on someone who 'dares' to use them, like a bunch of naughty boys playing with matches. I have yet to see any thoughtful reasoning from opponents.

What I see are people who have the ability to see things from someone else's point of view, and who can recognize bigotry, and those who are unable to.

It's odd, most bigots I have met are not aware of their own bigotry, it seems. I'll even say I've occassionally discovered some bigotry in myself I was surprised to realize.