Is the word "Partner" the new politically correct term for "husband" and "wife"?

Oct 30, 2004

A few minutes ago while listening to an archived NPR clip, I heard a reporter refer to her husband as her "partner" without ever mentioning the word husband. (I assume she had a husband and not a lesbian partner since she was talking about her son too.) I also read a local newspaper article where a travel writer referred to her husband as her "partner".

Now, it isn't linguistically incorrect to do that, but I've noticed the use of "my partner" in place of "my husband" or "my wife" more and more often lately.

So, is using "my partner" instead of "my husband" or "my wife" part of the rules of political correctness now? For years, homosexuals would refer to their partners as simply "my partner" and I would always assume that anyone who had a "partner" was referring to a homosexual partner. Is this new use of "my partner" to refer to heterosexual partners an attempt to change the language in order to mainstream homosexuality?

For the record, I'm not homophobic or anti-gay and I don't have a problem with gay marriage. However, I do have a problem with political correctness perverting our language.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
It's not really a perversion of the language, is it? Nobody is stating that using the term "husband" or "wife" is wrong - it's just that a different term is gaining some popularity.

I've only ever said "girlfriend" myself, or when in a peculiar mood, "significant other". I'd probably also infer "partner" to mean someone of the same sex, and I would imagine that NPR is being politically correct with its use of the term.

Lastly, it sure does sound like you are a little homophobic by your need to make a disclaimer at the end of your post. Likewise the over-the-top reaction to the use of the term. :p

Oct 30, 2004
I included the disclaimer because I figured that by putting up such a post, some people might infer that I'm anti-gay, which isn't true. However, I am against touchy-feely political correctness. I don't ever want to be told that it's inappropriate to refer to my wife as "my wife".

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
My immediate reaction to you writing it was, "This guy is a homophobe, and is attempting to convey a homophobic message while trying to sound like he isn't." Frankly, it sounds like it bugs you that they (homosexuals) are having an influence on the language you consider yours.

Obviously just my opinion. Hopefully you take it as something to think about instead of an indictment - you're of course free to feel any way you wish towards anyone on Earth. Personally, I hate puppeteers.

Edit: I meant puppeteers, since puppets clearly aren't people. :eek:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Homosexuals feel comfortable with themselves and their partners
*whatever* the term - Boyfriend, gf, wife, mate, partner ...

otoh, the peoples of the religions of christendom are bigoted hypocrites
--It is for THEM - to make the bigots more comfortable
rose.gif

partner really says nothing or everything
- a perfect way to describe their alternate union

"straights" use it as a PC way to have solidarity .. with open-mindedness

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
My immediate reaction to you writing it was, "This guy is a homophobe, and is attempting to convey a homophobic message while trying to sound like he isn't." Frankly, it sounds like it bugs you that they (homosexuals) are having an influence on the language you consider yours.

Obviously just my opinion. Hopefully you take it as something to think about instead of an indictment - you're of course free to feel any way you wish towards anyone on Earth. Personally, I hate puppeteers.

Edit: I meant puppeteers, since puppets clearly aren't people. :eek:

This is just more politically correct nonsense.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
You know what Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people here
in the trailer park. Oh no, don't get me wrong, they're fine people, good
Americans. But they're content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and
Mindy on channel 57. Maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer. They're
good fine people, Stuart. But they don't know what the queers are doing
to the soil.

You know that Johnny Werzner kid - the kid who delivers papers in the
neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes
crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his 10th birthday, all he
wanted was a burrow owl, just like his old man. "Dad, get me a burrow
owl. I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live". So the guy
breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. Anyway at 10:30 the other night I
go out into my yard and there's the Werzner kid looking up in the tree. I
said, "What are you looking for?" He said, "I'm looking for my burrow
owl." I say, "Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows that a
burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they
call it a burrow owl, anyway?!" Now Stuart, do you think a kid like that
is gonna know what the queers are doing to the soil?

I first became aware of this, about 10 years ago, the summer my oldest boy
Bill Jr. died. You know that carnival that comes to town every year?
Well this year it came with a ride called the Mixer. The man said "Keep
your head and arms inside the mixer at all times." But Bill Jr., he was a
daredevil, just like his old man. He was leaning out saying, "Hey
everybody! Look at me, look at me!" POW! He was decapitated. They found
his head over by the snowcone concession. A few days after that, I open
up the mail and there's a pamphlet in there, from Pueblo, Colorado. And
it's addressed to Bill Jr. And it's entitled, "Do you know what the
queers are doing to our soil?"

Now Stuart, if you look at the soil around any large U.S. city with a big
underground homosexual population - Des Moines, Iowa, perfect example.
Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart. You can't build on it, you
can't grow anything in it. The government says it's due to poor farming.
But I know what's really going on, Stuart. I know it's the queers.
They're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay
Martians. I swear to God.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Sounds like repressed homosexuality, who it it, Stu?

maybe you should explore it you are pretty strange anyway
- and none of your last five wives were happy and your kids all turned out pretty f'dup

rose.gif

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Partner has been used for non-married heterosexual couples for as long as I can remember. What else do you call two people in a committed monogamous relationship but yet aren't married?

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Partner has been used for non-married heterosexual couples for as long as I can remember. What else do you call two people in a committed monogamous relationship but yet aren't married?

Well, lately it does seem as though it has been the effete, latte sipping set who uses the term more frequently. Hence the suspicion that it is subliminal PC Communist infiltration.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BoberFett

the religious nutjobs call it "living in sin", "producing bastards out of wedlock", "shacking up" ..

want more?
rose.gif

"partner" is PC for gay or straight unmarried *couples*
- what do they call a menage a trois?

A: *Fun* .. but the arguments are intense
- afterward the make up sex is awesome

But what the hell would i know about that *alternate* stuff?

o yeah .. alternate

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: apoppin

:confused:

Hell yeah

show me from the Book

especially what Jesus Would Did[do] :p
- not that crazy little Jew, Paul who said "this is my OWN opinion"

Go ... show us from your own Bible
:clock:

i wanna see what you find and how you will TWIST it
rose.gif

no jewish poison for christians please - NO OT!
-just say no to the hateful god!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre

:confused:

Hell yeah

show me from the Book

especially what Jesus Would Did[do] :p

My reply was in regards to you calling Christians bigots, which is a rather bigoted remark to make.

I had no idea that I hated homosexuals until you told me I did.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why does it matter? Calling the person you are married to your husband or wife isn't looked down upon at all... I've heard people use the term partner for as long as I can remember. Do you have even a single experience where someone has stated explicitly or implicitly that saying husband or wife is not okay? I'm guessing not. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I for one will never understand the hate towards 'political correctness'. It's simply about respect for other people.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The only "PC BS" is those who constantly talk about "PC BS". Language changes, it's not a freakin conspiracy.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Why does it matter? Calling the person you are married to your husband or wife isn't looked down upon at all... I've heard people use the term partner for as long as I can remember. Do you have even a single experience where someone has stated explicitly or implicitly that saying husband or wife is not okay? I'm guessing not. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I for one will never understand the hate towards 'political correctness'. It's simply about respect for other people.

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Because most political correctness is just stupid and has little to do with respect.

Examples please.

Let start with this thread and the attempt to remove gender from our language. Men and women are different. Each gender is better at different things, however PC attempts to make it seem like we are all the same. We are different and we are all better for it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, this agenda was set up about 15 years ago. It's caught on strong. I use the term "partner" all the time now. And yet, I didn't even realize it until I read this post. I guess that makes me a sheep. :confused:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Examples please.

Let start with this thread and the attempt to remove gender from our language. Men and women are different. Each gender is better at different things, however PC attempts to make it seem like we are all the same. We are different and we are all better for it.

Who has attempted to remove gender from our language? It's a common word that's been used for decades. Maybe people use it because it's easier to say partner and cover everything at once. Remember when the term 'politically correct' came out, it implied that the words being replaced were in some way offensive or intolerant and so to continue to use the old terms would be a bad thing. I see absolutely zero evidence of that in this case.

You seem to be taking the classic conservative persecution complex stance. Nobody is making you say anything you don't want to say, nobody is condemning you for using gendered language like husband and wife. If this is the best example you have, it's a laughably poor one.

Please supply an accurate example.