Is The Witcher 3 being an Origin game gonna stop many people from playing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
What do you guys think about that? Is the Origin hate still palpable?

Locked due to misinformation from the OP.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Eh? I have it on pre-order from GoG. Aren't the owners of GoG the parent company of the makers of Witcher 3??

tidy

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2012
I don't even understand the Origin hate. If Origin is bad, it's for all the same reasons Steam is. They're all crapware, and no one should be forced to use any of them just to be able to play a game they've paid for, but if I must choose, I actually prefer Origin over Steam. I get less of an arrogant "we know best" vibe from them, because they actually provide options like 'close Origin with game' (as opposed to Valves assumption that you want their horrid client running 24/7). I think the update system is more flexible/configurable too. These clients are always changing though, so origin will probably get worse over time.

But why anyone would purchase the game through any one of these bloated DRM clients when there is a 100% clean DRM free version available is beyond me.

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Whoops. I thought it was Origin only, looks like I was wrong.

This thread can be deleted or whatever.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
First, Witcher 3 isn't an Origin exclusive game. Its available on GoG and Steam.

Second, Origin is a fine platform now with little to dissuade people from using it.

makwy2

Sep 3, 2010
I think if the game is worth it the platform is worth the hassle. I don't "like" steam or origin or battlelog.. I tolerate them because they provide a platform which allows me to play great games and manage them. I could play/download them from GOG and other DRM-free environments but I find Steam/Origin to have better sales and an easier management system.

Since W3 is being released across multiple platforms you have options as to which platform is best for your needs and preferences but if a game is platform exclusive then it is up to the gamer to weigh the addition of another platform to the content of a game. I haven't played a single game from uPlay but if and when there is a great game that is exclusive to it, I might consider it.

tl;dr - game distribution platforms are annoying, games make them worth it.. or not.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I don't even understand the Origin hate. If Origin is bad, it's for all the same reasons Steam is. They're all crapware, and no one should be forced to use any of them just to be able to play a game they've paid for, but if I must choose, I actually prefer Origin over Steam. I get less of an arrogant "we know best" vibe from them, because they actually provide options like 'close Origin with game' (as opposed to Valves assumption that you want their horrid client running 24/7). I think the update system is more flexible/configurable too. These clients are always changing though, so origin will probably get worse over time.

But why anyone would purchase the game through any one of these bloated DRM clients when there is a 100% clean DRM free version available is beyond me.

Agreed. I don't get the Origin hate as well. I won't have a problem with having to get the Witcher 3 on Origin if this is what it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.