Is the SUV Age about over?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: Robor
Ugh, it's moronic and selfish attitudes like yours that make "us" hate "you". I sure hope you don't have to make a quick manuver and roll over in your top-heavy tank. Putz... :disgust:

:confused: I don't own an SUV.
And that changes the attitude in your previous reply how...? Someone shouldn't have to buy a Stupid Useless Vehicle just so they can see over other Stupid Useless Vehicles and not be blinded by them in their mirrors.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Not until fuel costs rise up higher... People are still willing to stretch their finances to drive one of these.

If we needed the room we'd get a cheaper, sizier minivan. Sure minivans are lame, but hell they are better for most people.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The number one prob with SUVs and the way they run people off the road is usually because the soccer moms that drive them are 5'5" and can't see over the steering wheel....not to mention their use of hairbrushes, eyeliner, lipstick, and cell phones while driving. It's like giving a teenager an Xbox and putting them at the helm of an aircraft carrier.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
SUVs are just cliche.
please do buy one if you want to look like everyone else.
My knock agaisnt them is they arent any fun to drive, park or manage and most beyond a few exceptions(land rover etc.) just look fscking stupid.
as far as offroading//lmfao...yes.when my friend takes me wheeling in his 73 cj, there is a pack of yukons,excursion and durangos right behind us..:roll:
stock they would make it about ten feet in on some of the trails that (modded) cj goes on...they would need a wrecker to get back out too.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ncircle
SUVs are just cliche.
please do buy one if you want to look like everyone else.
My knock agaisnt them is they arent any fun to drive, park or manage and most beyond a few exceptions(land rover etc.) just look fscking stupid.
as far as offroading//lmfao...yes.when my friend takes me wheeling in his 73 cj, there is a pack of yukons,excursion and durangos right behind us..:roll:
stock they would make it about ten feet in on some of the trails that (modded) cj goes on...they would need a wrecker to get back out too.

remember when people bought SUVs so as not to look like everyone else?

smoothness

Dec 12, 2004
ncircle - it all depends on what you drive as well. i'm sure that driving a v10 or a twin turbo SUV is no fun at all. really.

syconub

Aug 7, 2004
i love those people who buy their giant hummers and drive very carefully, and dont drive in the mud, or on gravel roads NOT to get theyre 4X4 monster of death dirty.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Unless it affects others. And IMO large amounts of people with inefficient vehicles does affect everyone else.

Oh, but it's perfectly fine to commute 100s of miles per day in your little buzz boxes. Never mind the fact that you'll use more gasoline per year than the soccer moms in even the largest SUVs. Hypocrite maggots!

76% do not need SUV's for any legitimate purpose.

Oh, but it's perfectly fine to pack as much horsepower as possible in your spoiler and "performance wheel" clad compact sport ( compact sport :roll: ) cars. You certainly have a "legitimate purpose" for owning that, eh sport?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Not until fuel costs rise up higher... People are still willing to stretch their finances to drive one of these.

If we needed the room we'd get a cheaper, sizier minivan. Sure minivans are lame, but hell they are better for most people.

Well, looks like the beginnings of another run up in Gas prices, just when everyone got complacent and happy about $1.75 to $2 range. Gas has gone up a dime in last 3 days here after bottoming out after Christmas.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
Unless it affects others. And IMO large amounts of people with inefficient vehicles does affect everyone else.

Oh, but it's perfectly fine to commute 100s of miles per day in your little buzz boxes. Never mind the fact that you'll use more gasoline per year than the soccer moms in even the largest SUVs. Hypocrite maggots!

76% do not need SUV's for any legitimate purpose.

Oh, but it's perfectly fine to pack as much horsepower as possible in your spoiler and "performance wheel" clad compact sport ( compact sport :roll: ) cars. You certainly have a "legitimate purpose" for owning that, eh sport?
Riiiiiiiight. And the radio of people who commute 100's of miles per day or drive over-horsepowered vehicles to unnecessary SUV's is...??? :thumbsdown:

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most people bashing SUVs in this topic, have unnecessary spoilers, "performance wheels", more than 4 cylinders, and use more gasoline per year than the average SUV driving soccer mom. Since you provide no link to back up your blathering, I guess I won't have to either.

Dec 12, 2004
I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes as gas prices on Long Island are over $2 also any mom driving an suv is gunna be suckin gas to much more than a minivan simply due to the weight and the v-8

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: aircooled
I don't mind an SUV if you own it for a reason. I just hate it when people buy them for 'show'.
Why? If you think a vehicle is a nice, good-looking machine, and you can afford it, why shouldn't you buy it if you want it?

People who bitch about the "soccer moms" driving SUV's simply aren't looking at the facts. They are not the main ones driving SUV's, they mostly have minivans.

The ones who are not good drivers would still be bad drivers if they had a Camry. And they'd still run you off the road.

And what blind spot are you talking about in SUV's like the Suburban? (I saw it mentioned above)
They have more glass down the side than a damn bus, and there are virtually no blind spots to speak of.
If someone doesn't look before they switch lanes, it doesn't matter what they are driving.
There are more asswipes in small cars that zip in and out of traffic that endanger others than "soccer moms" who "can't drive" SUV's.

An SUV is great for hauling kids around in. Irrelevant whether it's a 4wd or 2wd. You just can't beat it. You can talk to me all day about how some smaller cars/vans have nearly as much space and all that crap, but it isn't the same. Sure, you can pack all your stuff that you take on vacation into a minivan instead of a Suburban, but it will be just that: packed in. If you want to stop at any point and access some of that stuff, you'll have to take it all out to do so.
SUV's are all about style, convenience, and room. If someone never takes it offroad, so what? It's their money.
If you can't afford an SUV, or afford to feed one, just STFU, you're just jealous.

if you want to drive kids around get a minivan or hatchback or something ...
suv are big annoying cars that make the women who dive them feel "safe" ..
when they are more risky
the only trivehtem because theylike to think they have power .. .

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DurocShark

Right, and Tom and Ray are SOOOOO reliable as sources. :roll:

And that crushed bus... You really think a different car would have survived better in that kind of wreck?

that is the primary false perception peope have .
if you want saftry drive a safe car like a volvo or a suburu
no neeed to get a huge unsightly SUV
they are actually more unsafe ( roller overs etc ..)

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: Gurck
Originally posted by: purbeast0

If the standard was bigger vehicles with more ground clearance, you'd have a point - but it isn't. I'm not even bitching about gas mileage or SUVs' ugly looks and the fact that most buyers have them only to be trendy, just about their ground clearance. Automakers could give them a lower center of gravity, negating their lethal status to other people, but then office workers who think they're pioneering explorers because their mosntrosity's commercial depicts it climbing Mt. Everest might not think their fashion statement was as uber as someone else's and sales might dip. Automakers won't even consider it, instead offering entirely different vehicles for people with a conscience. The whole "ahm commin, git outta mah way" mentality is responsible for so much human tragedy, this is but a small aspect of it.

okay Mr. Full-O-Facts ... where is your proof of that fact I bolded out of your quote. or was that YAA ... yet another assumption.

give it a rest.

I need to prove that 95% of the population doesn't go offroading? :confused:

since when does "Sport Utility Vehicle" = Off roading?

dude, just stop posting.

that is what american car makers make it seem like
have u ever seen a ford/gm etc TV AD !

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: complacent

I live alone, thanks. I was commenting on namecalling when you have no argument and thinking you "owned" someone, both hallmarks of the very young and/or stupid.

I live in southeastern NY state, which is very hilly country, and where a winter without a few 8-12" storms is rare. The Audi is awd and has no problems getting me around in the stuff.

Owned is a common term. I don't care too much about the further assumptions you make about people that use it, but it has replaced the term "Point, match" in common English usage. I am 23 years old and am currently studying for my Masters degree in Computer Science. I am neither young or stupid. Wow, nice assumption there. You really are quite bad at this guess work. "If he uses this word, he must by young and stupid." Using fallacious arguments and name calling is a sign of the immature, which you are. That is not an assumption.

You claim I have no argument? You are disturbed. My argument has been all along that you make wild, stupid assumptions and have no facts to back it up, while my argument is backed by various statistics. I have a sound argument, and it seems to be generally agreed that your argument holds no water.

Does your Audi have a backseat? When was the last time you used it? If you don't make good use of your back seat, you should not be driving a car with a backseat. When was the last time you used your trunk? If you don't use your trunk all the time, or if you could use your backseat instead of your trunk, you should not be driving a car with a trunk. AWD? Do you need all-wheel drive? Couldn't you get away with 2wd during the summer? It wastes gas when you don't need it. You should really be driving a 4-wheel drive car since you don't need AWD. Do you get the point? We all have nice things that we COULD live without, but why? Personally, I hope I get the chance one day to roll over your crumple zone.

OWNED

his car may be empty 80 percent of times but whenever i see a SUVit is empty 99%of the time .
espically here in bergen county nj

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: EGGO
I'm not an SUV basher, but I see a problem with your argument: Usually those who own pickup trucks have a real good reason why they own them.

Agreed, the main highway in my area down to NYC no longer allows pickups on it (Taconic). Further I'm not as concerned about gas usage as I am my safety when some soccer mom too busy putting on her makeup or yakking on her cell phone to stay on her side of the road head-ons me and kills me.

:thumbsup:
more highways need to do this

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Next time you are out and about , count the Grand Marquis that you see. That car and the ford CrownVic must be the official car for the AARP bunch . I have had several Crowns doing my job,they do get very good mpg for their size , but it freaks me to see do many old people in those cars.

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Why do you care so much? So people want large cars - it's their money, STFU already. How they spend THEIR money is of no concern to you.

When they can't see the cars around them and can't drive a large vehicle and can't park for sh!t, then it *IS* of concern to me.

Hell, I get SUV soccer moms and teenagers who don't notice me driving my VW Bus and change lanes into me causing me to slam on my brakes or swerve out of the way. How the hell can you miss the Great White Bus??!!?!?!?!

I'd say a good 60% of the vehicles in my office building's parking structure are midsize or larger SUVs, yet they all seem to think they can park in the compact spaces. Or that they're so special that they can park straddling the line between 2 spaces.

It's the pisspoor driving skills these people display that pisses me off. When they were driving small cars, it was much less noticable and much less scary. :Q

piss and moan, piss and moan, blah, blah, blah.....How about a little cheese to go with that whine........JEZUS!!!!! :roll:

Edit: BTW, I drive a full size Chevy P/U with a 350 in it and I love it!! :D The wife drives a Dodge Mini van.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Ornery
Most people bashing SUVs in this topic, have unnecessary spoilers, "performance wheels", more than 4 cylinders, and use more gasoline per year than the average SUV driving soccer mom. Since you provide no link to back up your blathering, I guess I won't have to either.

Your blathering is patently false though, it's pretty obvious that most vehicles which aren't SUVs aren't riced. If that's the best argument you can come up with, you'd do better to remain silent & rethink your viewpoint.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
No, people will continue to buy them, and manufacturers will continue to make new models. I'd say something about SUV owners, but I rather not offend anybody so early in the year.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most people bashing SUVs in this topic, have unnecessary spoilers (even Corolla's come from the factory with spoilers), "performance wheels", more than 4 cylinders, and use more gasoline per year than the average SUV driving soccer mom.

SuperStrokey

Golden Member
May 28, 2003
well i live in canada and vehicles like suv's and pickups are pretty darn handy. Although i do agree they are overly bought nowdays.