Is the Pope actually mentioned in the Bible?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: impeachbush
Originally posted by: classy
Originally posted by: conjur
Uhhhh

NO.

Purely man-made.
No Cardinals either, or preists shouldn't marry, there is no such thing as certain people being saints, no nuns, no rosary beads, no such thing as a preist forgiving sins, no such thing as pentanace, no such thing as praying to Mary, no pergatory, I could go on but I think you get the picture.
Ephesians 2:19,20
19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Adding to classy's list of changes made from the original church of Christ....

No more prophets and apostles, churchs name changed to catholic, the term saints (church members) became something entirely different, supremecy of the Pope declared by Pope Bontine approx.606ad, blessing of the popes feet approx.709ad, burning of 'holy' candles approx.850ad, forced celebacy of priests approx.1074ad, sale of indulgences approx. 1190ad...
Should probably add in that the concept of angels as cheeky little beings came into being about 1500 years after Jesus lived. "Angel" was a titular term referring to certain titles of Jewish high priests.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Friends don't let friends be crucified alone. :disgust:
Mods shouldn't let asshats post bigotous messages. :disgust:

I wonder why you are trying to change the subject. The topic of discussion here was the fair weather nature of Peter's friendship to Jesus. And then there was this silly comment made by you:

"I doubt you would watch your best friend be crucified. I guarantee you'd miss it if you knew getting caught there would end up with you being crucified with him."

I certainly would not slink away from a friend's crucifiction merely to avoid being crucified myself. Life is not that precious, and some things are worth more than life. Self-respect, for example. I'd take the noble death standing up for my friend. Or I would give my friend some company by dying with him. I take it from your comment that you would indeed slink away in the night, in order to save your own precious skin, leaving your "friend" to die that horrendous, drawn out death alone on the cross? Why am I not surprised?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I certainly would not slink away from a friend's crucifiction merely to avoid being crucified myself. Life is not that precious, and some things are worth more than life. Self-respect, for example. I'd take the noble death standing up for my friend. Or I would give my friend some company by dying with him. I take it from your comment that you would indeed slink away in the night, in order to save your own precious skin, leaving your "friend" to die that horrendous, drawn out death alone on the cross? Why am I not surprised?
Yes, the typical response in complete isolation from any threat. "I would have balls, no question. I would gladly die to accomplish nothing." This is typical of those who feign lofty ideals but are not grounded in reality.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Yes, the typical response in complete isolation from any threat.

Unsurprising response from someone who is apparently a coward and does not know the meaning of friendship or loyalty.

"I would have balls, no question.

I have put myself in physical danger, in order to assist a person close to me, and that behavior has nothing to do with "balls" or testosterone. It's about doing what is right. As opposed to doing what is wrong, i.e., slinking away in the night like a coward, leaving one's "friend" to be crucified.

I would gladly die to accomplish nothing."

I don't consider keeping someone company as they are dying "accomplishing nothing". Particularly if that person is a friend. You must not know the meaning of friendship. Furthermore, there would be the opportunity to speak against the injustice to the crowd or guards or whatever. That also is not "accomplishing nothing".

This is typical of those who feign lofty ideals but are not grounded in reality.

I have placed myself in dangerous circumstances, in the past, without concern for my own safety, I know what that feeling is like, and I would do it again under certain circumstances. What's interesting to me is the way you dismiss or ridicule something you yourself are apparently not capable of -- i.e., an act of selflessness in service of something more important than your own pathetic existence.

I wonder again why you are trying to change the subject. The topic of discussion here was the fair weather nature of Peter's friendship to Jesus. And this silly comment made by you:

"I doubt you would watch your best friend be crucified. I guarantee you'd miss it if you knew getting caught there would end up with you being crucified with him."

For some reason you seem to think you know how everyone would behave in such a situation. Actually, your comment above is merely indicative of how YOU would behave. A reminder - not everyone is as cowardly and selfish as you apparently are.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Crimson
Abortion isn't in the Constitution either.. yet liberals somehow believe it is..

Hmmm, technically it is.

The document exists to serve the people not the other way around.

Therefore Government does not control the bodies of the people.

If you can prove the people "Serve" the Constitution therefore the Government itself (taking John Kennedy's saying of what you can do for your Country to the extreme and making what you MUST do for The Country, in this case must carry child under all circumstances) then Government owns the bodies of the people and not just the land.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
For some reason you seem to think you know how everyone would behave in such a situation. Actually, your comment above is merely indicative of how YOU would behave. A reminder - not everyone is as cowardly and selfish as you apparently are.
I in no way claimed I knew the response of everyone in these situations. I simply stated that such behavior would not be atypical. Fair play to you if you want to cast away your life for nothing. Myself, I would prefer to honor my friend by keeping my life for something useful. If I could save him by sacrificing myself I would in a heartbeat, but in the situation we're discussing, this is not the case. Heaping life lost on top of life lost simply to claim courage is foolishness, not bravery.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
I in no way claimed I knew the response of everyone in these situations.

You did EXACTLY that. Here is what you said:

I.e., you guarantee I would behave in the way you say I would, under the given circumstances. That is merely another way of saying you know the response of everyone in this situation.

I simply stated that such behavior would not be atypical.

You did not state any such thing. You *guaranteed* that I (and anyone else reading the post) would respond in a certain way.

Fair play to you if you want to cast away your life for nothing. Myself, I would prefer to honor my friend by keeping my life for something useful. If I could save him by sacrificing myself I would in a heartbeat, but in the situation we're discussing, this is not the case. Heaping life lost on top of life lost simply to claim courage is foolishness, not bravery.

You outlined circumstances where one would be crucified IF caught. However being captured was merely a risk and by no means guaranteed in this scenario. (Here are your exact words: "I doubt you would watch your best friend be crucified. I guarantee you'd miss it if you knew getting caught there would end up with you being crucified with him.) I would risk capture, to see what I could do to save a dear friend. Or simply to keep a friend company as he or she dies. You apparently lack that sense of loyalty in your friendships or relationships. You would simply walk away as your best friend (your wife, for example) is slowly crucified. Guess these are your christian values shining through. :disgust:

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
You outlined circumstances where one would be crucified IF caught. However being captured was merely a risk and by no means guaranteed in this scenario. (Here are your exact words: "I doubt you would watch your best friend be crucified. I guarantee you'd miss it if you knew getting caught there would end up with you being crucified with him.) I would risk capture, to see what I could do to save a dear friend. Or simply to keep a friend company as he or she dies. You apparently lack that sense of loyalty in your friendships or relationships. You would simply walk away as your best friend (your wife, for example) is slowly crucified. Guess these are your christian values shining through. :disgust:
I guarantee that if you tried to kidnap a high-risk prisoner from the Romans, they would catch you. Killing is what they did, and they were exceedingly good at it. If you tried to stop them, they would be more than happy to do you as well. They had no problem lining the Appian Way with crosses for hundreds of miles after the great slave revolt detailed in Spartacus, for example. In other words, attempting to interfere with the Roman national pasttime is its own guarantee of a death sentence.

As for my Christian ideals, I hardly need a lecture from you. As I said, I'd gladly lay down my life for a friend if it could save him.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Does the bible mention Catholocism(sp)?

No, but it mentions the Church. The Church is the body of believers. This was a universal church, not any number of denomations. It was a "catholic" church, which means universal. As time went on, the Catholic Church as we know it developed from the original concept.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: MCWAR
dmcowen674
Quote:
I have seen a ship and have documented proof of at least two minutes of missing time.

Cool, I made sig material :thumbsup:

Now if they would just beam me out of this hell hole would be very :cool:

Where would you rather go? :confused:

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
So I'm Googling my question (why isn't the Pope the head of all Christians?) and this is the second result that shows up...I haven't been here in six months--time to say hello! However, I think it's pretty awesome that AT forums showed up in my search results lol.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Catholic doctrine allows for changes in the understanding of revelation over time.

"The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ." Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

- http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a1.htm

It is a neat piece rationalization to be sure but just plain handy at times. In practice, the Catholic Church believes that revelation continues as reflected in the history of the Church. It is a continuation of the Catholic concept of the bible as revealing god through the history of the Hebrew people.

As it relates to this thread, the Church has had a pope for 1600+ years so it is reasonable to conclude that having a pope is in God's Plan®.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.