Is the Pentium G4620 The First Decent Stopgap in Years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
Non-K overclocking was made possible by a debug microcode, which disabled the PMU.
Since Kaby Lake uses different microcodes (AFAIK), there won't be similar OC exploit for Kaby Lake unless Intel somehow manages to repeat their mistake and slip such microcode again.
These boards are using different external clock generators. I still want to upgrade and upsize my main rig even without overclocking. I already have a Corsair 350D case and want to go matx. The Asrock z270m Extreme4 is not in stock so I'm getting the Asus Strix z270g (I like how it can output audio from different programs to different devices at the same time) and some faster RAM. My itx rig will be down graded with a new Pentium as a HTPC (replacing an overclocked G3258/B85 rig.)

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
But what if the 7700k gets a jacked up price for months like the 6700k did? There was a while there where it was very hard to buy one for under $400.

What if Zen comes along and changes the price structure for all CPUs later this year as noted above?

What if one day we can stick a Coffee Lake six core CPU in a Z270 board? And the stopgap is for more than a 7700k?

Maybe the answer is "no, no, just don't" but I am ever hopeful.

I bought a G3258 and a built a whole rig around it for a reason - half the fun in computing in the time I have done it is beating the system with OCed Celerons and unlocked GPUs. If this hobby turns into purely "you get what you pay for" with no gaming of the system to be had then a lot of the magic is lost.
At the moment the 7700k doesn't have a premium. Companies are selling it in the $349 range. And desktop Coffee Lake is a long time from now (even longer for it to be under $200 for your method to save money).

So far, I don't see evidence that Zen is attempting to compete with Intel here. I think Ryzen is competing with the high end desktop processors instead (such as the 6950X). If so, Ryzen won't really impact Intel's pricing on the standard processors. A duopoly only significantly impacts pricing over a monopoly if there is not much product differentiation (with product differentiation, you just have two monopolies doing whatever helps them best). I think Ryzen and the 7700K are differentiated enough not to have a significant price impact. However, Ryzen will likely have a major impact on Intel's pricing of the HEDT processors. I could be wrong though as it is just speculation at this point.

The gains are too small, the processor releases are too spaced in time, and the prices are too similar for this stopgap method to be useful any more.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
"1 percent before and after the performance up from Skylake
  ideal for replacement from the previous-generation

result is now as you can see, basically 10% before and after the performance up.
Power consumption (it seems that individuals) some products is unnaturally high despite such as i5 7600K,
the whole, it is a slight decrease - equivalent. Given that the clock and the performance went up,
watt performance is likely to say that it has improved.
Checked in some products, even in an environment in which the VGA equipped with time and memory to PC4-17000
each has won the Skylake.

The impressions, is not a truly immediately Kaikaeru product from Skylake,
looking at the performance of successive i7, i7 is from 4770K 30% or more, you will more than double from the i7 870 primary.
It will obtain a large effect and Kaikaeru from that time on the PC.
Moreover, power consumption down can be expected, it will improve storage environment is sufficient to prepare the latest M.2 SSD.
This new product appearance of opportunity, what is by all means to consider an update of the PC how.
However, please note that Kaby Lake of support OS Only Windows 10 64bit. "

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1657/13
In very selective cases HT can hurt performance.

Regarding stop-gap cpus. the G3258 held its own in some games, lost badly in others due to 2/2 vs 2/4 (slower clocked i3 beat it handily in several cases).
http://www.techspot.com/review/849-intel-pentium-anniversary-edition-overclock/page13.html

Stop-gap used to work quite well, when CPU power actually increased significantly from generation to generation. A "flagship" processor cost $700-1000 and would worth half that or less when the next generation launched, or even faster if the other CPU producer created an upheaval (remember when there was competition in CPUs?). This created opportunity to pick up a bottom tier chip, overclock to get 70-90% of top chip performance, then upgrade on the cheap a year-ish later if desired to the former flagship chip.

These days, barring the HEDT lines, flagship CPU costs <$400, for gaming you really need 4/4 to do it right and until recently the 2/4 chips couldn't be overclocked at all. The days of getting more than your money's worth are over and there's little value in a stop-gap setup.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The stopgap has worked for me in the days of AM3, I've updated a few AX2s to quad-cores. However, since the debacle with my wife's SB bridge board officially claiming that it could handle IVB CPUs and couldn't, I'm somewhat reticent to try that trick again, at least with Intel.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
apparently the Ryzen are coming out probably by the end of february so at this point it might be worth a wait if you have a satisfying CPU.

On i3s though I really couldn't find much. I found German hardware site that suggested for 2 cores the 4 threads really did help in games by quite a bit. But I might have been reading it wrong. Google translate doesn't work on image graphs.
if you post the pictures in question and quote this post so that i see the notification I can try to translate it. Not the whole wall of text though, ain't nobody got time for that.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
apparently the Ryzen are coming out probably by the end of february so at this point it might be worth a wait if you have a satisfying CPU.

if you post the pictures in question and quote this post so that i see the notification I can try to translate it. Not the whole wall of text though, ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm not to worried about it. :p I should probably just run it through google translate.

Here's the article I was looking at: https://www.computerbase.de/2011-04/test-intel-core-i3-2100-2120/29/#abschnitt_f1_2010

Now that I look at it I'm pretty sure the graph is clear enough. The result is way more significant than I'd believe though.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah, its obvious.

I ran google translate and they say 15% improvement overall in the gaming benchmarks just from enabling it. I guess that isn't crazy either. Must have been having an off day when I looked at it last time.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I stand corrected. It seems like dual cores do make better use of HT than 4/8 core chips. Assuming there will be motherboard support for bus overclocking G4620 can serve as a stop gap just fine. "Stop gap" can be anything, though, and I think a bit more refined query is necessary to reach a meaningful consensus, though.

pic_disp.php

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Star-Citizen-Benchmark-Arena-Commander-v0-8-571/page6

Last edited:
Reactions: poofyhairguy

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I stand corrected. It seems like dual cores do make better use of HT than 4/8 core chips. Assuming there will be motherboard support for bus overclocking G4620 can serve as a stop gap just fine. "Stop gap" can be anything, though, and I think a bit more refined query is necessary to reach a meaningful consensus, though.

pic_disp.php

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Star-Citizen-Benchmark-Arena-Commander-v0-8-571/page6
That was a test with a CPU limited game, though. That is, a game that is unable to make use of more cores/threads.

And a 6 core chip with 4 cores disabled is not exactly the same as testing an actual 2 core chip.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013

pic_disp.php

Even in the case of the quad HT should be called a tie or a win and not a regression; an increase in minimums can often indicate less stuttering, which is a real positive. The regression we see so often in hexacores is likely more due to OS scheduler limitations than anything to do with the CPU, of course the net result is still the same, I have HT off on my 5820K because of this.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
That was a test with a CPU limited game, though. That is, a game that is unable to make use of more cores/threads.

And a 6 core chip with 4 cores disabled is not exactly the same as testing an actual 2 core chip.
None of which change the fact that even a 2014 6core (so obviously older than '14 core) gives you HT benefits in games,which was the one and only point.
HT,OoO,ILP and so on get improved all the time,the pentium runs stock ddr4 2400 while the i3-6100 was only capable of 2133 stock and so on and so on,things improve.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The regression we see so often in hexacores is likely more due to OS scheduler limitations than anything to do with the CPU,
Or with HT,since basically it doubles cores as far as the cpu is concerned,the cpu just doesn't see enough cpu usage to raise it's turbo clocks...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
None of which change the fact that even a 2014 6core (so obviously older than '14 core) gives you HT benefits in games,which was the one and only point.
HT,OoO,ILP and so on get improved all the time,the pentium runs stock ddr4 2400 while the i3-6100 was only capable of 2133 stock and so on and so on,things improve.
Yeah, I don't think those charts tell us too much about HT overall.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Or with HT,since basically it doubles cores as far as the cpu is concerned,the cpu just doesn't see enough cpu usage to raise it's turbo clocks...
I don't know if that's it, I think the OS has to be aware of how to allocate the workload properly between real and virtual cores, something that is still evolving. With dual cores it's a lit less important because they are very often strapped for resources and anything helps. Re turbo bins, recall that one core fully loaded will always carry the highest clockspeed.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Re turbo bins, recall that one core fully loaded will always carry the highest clockspeed.
Yes but with HT on, threads might be spread too far and between (so to speak) for a single core to have full load, especially if the GPU can't handle it's load(maxes out under the load before the/a cpu core can max out) .