is the nintendo wii cheaper in the US or in the UK

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
Hello,

I wanted to buy the nintendo wii console.

my understanding was that it would be cheaper to buy it in the US then the UK with the buying power of the british pound. but it seems that the nintendo priced in the UK for around 180 pounds (corrected from dollars, sorry about that)is priced in the US for around 360 dollars.

has the price of the nintendo wii increased in the US or fallen in the UK?

is there a difference in the consoles being sold?

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
yeah the pal console and the ntsc console, also there's regioning i believe which means only american discs for the american console and such

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Uh... what?
The UK console is £180 which equates to $350 or so in $US terms.
The US console is $250, significantly cheaper.

The prices have remained the same since launch, and so has the exchange rate pretty much.
If you are in the UK, it would be cheaper to buy the console itself in the US, but then you would have to deal with possibly game issues, so it would not be particularly advisable.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Uh... what?
The UK console is £180 which equates to $350 or so in $US terms.
The US console is $250, significantly cheaper.

The prices have remained the same since launch, and so has the exchange rate pretty much.
If you are in the UK, it would be cheaper to buy the console itself in the US, but then you would have to deal with possibly game issues, so it would not be particularly advisable.

exactly what i was going to say.

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
thanks for the reply,

i thought the nintendo is a games console only, and NTSC/PAL are TV standards.

the prices seem to be comparable US/UK, do you guys know where i could get the console cheap in the US. i tried to check pricerunner and gocaompre and they came up with 400+ dollars
are the games issues due to regioning, how many regions do they have? why this regioning again :(

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: rookie1010
thanks for the reply,

i thought the nintendo is a games console only, and NTSC/PAL are TV standards.

the prices seem to be comparable US/UK, do you guys know where i could get the console cheap in the US. i tried to check pricerunner and gocaompre and they came up with 400+ dollars
are the games issues due to regioning, how many regions do they have? why this regioning again :(

NTSC and PAL are TV standards, but consoles sold in different markets output the video signal in the respective format of the country that they're being sold in.

As for actually finding one, good luck. Not all sellers will ship to the UK and (somehow) they still seem to sell out almost immediately after stock shows up.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Datel just announced the Wii Freeloader, which will allow you to basically region unlock the Wii. Good luck.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
In the US, we live in consumer paradise. Equivalent electronics, food, etc. have long been much cheaper here than anywhere in Europe.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Colt45
You'd need an NTSC TV, and US market games.

Freeloader rids you of needing US market games, and aren't a lot of TVs overseas multisystem? I know it isn't exactly the UK, but every TV I've ever seen in Israel was multisystem, even the cheap crappy ones.