Is the new Lion King movie terrible -or-

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Is it an abomination that should be destroyed with fire?

Have they invented the Men in Black memory-wiper thingie yet? If my battery on the phone runs out before the movie finishes, I'm toast.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its OK. Not terrible. Just like all the other remakes. Disney keeps making money so the things will never stop.

Nov 8, 2012
Its OK. Not terrible. Just like all the other remakes. Disney keeps making money so the things will never stop.

This.

It's pretty obvious their line of work now that they are hugely bloated, and an outsourced company in general.

The object of the game for them now isn't to make a good product. It's to make a product that earns the most money with the least amount of work.

... So that means... rebooks, remakes, sequels, rehashes, side-stories.... to infinity!... and beyond!

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
... So that means... rebooks, remakes, sequels, rehashes, side-stories.... to infinity!... and beyond!

Exactly... Sadly the magic of Sunday nights "Wonderful World of Disney" are long gone along with it seems 99% of Disney writers original ideas.

All they are now is a another giant soul-less media company.

Reactions: Ken g6

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So does some version of the "Uncanny Valley" apply to animals?

I would say yes and that's the problem with this type of remake.

I once saw a Willem Defoe movie called The Hunter. At the end they used a CGI monstrosity that was supposed to be realistic but just came off as weird.

The tiger in Red Dragon was a little off, too.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
So does some version of the "Uncanny Valley" apply to animals?

I would say yes and that's the problem with this type of remake.

Yes that was 'part' of the problem but not exactly. It wasn't that they were too lifelike that it somehow became disturbing - to me, it's that they were emotionless. You have a bunch of lions/birds that are moving their lips and speaking human words, yet their faces are not conveying the emotions that you can accomplish with cartoons. The more lifelike they made the animals, the more lifeless they became.