Is the hate bar gone for good?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I just noticed that the little red and green bar is gone. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand I kind of liked the one click scoff option, on the other hand it was abused beyond belief, and on the gripping hand I'm old and don't like change. Life is a conundrum for us cranky old men.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Not really needed. If you spend a little time here, it's obvious who the trolls are. Now if there were forum consequences for the trolls...

• Love
Reactions: shortylickens

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Without a sort of mod team with a set of standards, it never really made any sense. People could be up or down voted for a myriad of conflicting reasons.

Its introduction was controversial, its removal is fine.

However, I WILL miss all the previous react options.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would have been OK with just a "Green-only bar", with a logarithmic scaling to it's length, to indicate to noobs who some of the more well-respected members were. Or maybe I'm just vain and like to collect "Likes". The Green/Red "Battle-scar bar" had to go, definitely.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I would have been OK with just a "Green-only bar", with a logarithmic scaling to it's length, to indicate to noobs who some of the more well-respected members were. Or maybe I'm just vain and like to collect "Likes". The Green/Red "Battle-scar bar" had to go, definitely.
you do realize the green bar was no indication of respect??? As the red bar should have been no indication of disrespect?
yet you could always count on those who had a lot of green as opposed to red were probqably those who you somewhat agreed with and those with a lot of red sad to say mostly were also you could say people who most disagreed with!

Over all I think it wqas a good move....for some reason peoples feelings were getting hurt by the red bar...yet those with the most red usually were the ones who were blatantly mis interpreting articles or P&N comment removed!
This is not a call out of anysorts...but if I didn`t know better I would think that perhaos somebody was using an alt account and got there feelings hurt so what you see now is tghe result......

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Over all I think it wqas a good move....for some reason peoples feelings were getting hurt by the red bar...yet those with the most red usually were the ones who were blatantly mis interpreting articles or were whole hog Trump supporters!

Like anyone in the CPU forum cared who was or wasn't a Trump supporter? That is one of the reasons why it had to go: P&N's cesspool was beginning to leak into other forums. Like/dislike features become distorted in the presence of any kind of tribalism, whether it's pro/anti Trump or pro/anti Intel. It speaks well of many of our regulars who did not reflexively dislike-bomb anyone who disagreed with them. Usually people had to repeatedly make provably false statements in the technical forums before dislikes would pile up. Usually.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A suggestion, but I doubt it would or could be done! The powers that be could always assign a hate bar that only reflects P&N!! If you post in other forums it is deactivated!! But that is just my 2 cents!!

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
You're so vain! You probably think this thread is about you.

. . . thanks, now you've got Stevie Nicks stuck in my head momentarily.
Carly Simon, unless Stevie did a cover i'm not aware of. Too bad there isn't a mechanism to dislike you post for being wrong!

:p

Actually, until i saw this thread i didn't even notice the like/dislike was gone. Probably because i rarely noticed it anyway.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Like anyone in the CPU forum cared who was or wasn't a Trump supporter? That is one of the reasons why it had to go: P&N's cesspool was beginning to leak into other forums. Like/dislike features become distorted in the presence of any kind of tribalism, whether it's pro/anti Trump or pro/anti Intel. It speaks well of many of our regulars who did not reflexively dislike-bomb anyone who disagreed with them. Usually people had to repeatedly make provably false statements in the technical forums before dislikes would pile up. Usually.
P&N comment removed.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Folks - this is NOT P&N. Leave that stuff there. Not in here.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Glad it's gone, it was daft. As was downvoting.

I do think it was valid to be able to distinguish between 'like', 'agree' and 'informative', though.