Is the government of Myanmar purposfully letting it's people die?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Duddy, May 14, 2008.

1. Duddy

Duddy Diamond Member

I thought this when I heard that they weren't letting international aid in to their country and that they weren't doing anything to save the people affected by the cyclone.

But I read the article on CNN right now about a second cyclone forming near them and that it is about to impact the Delta region again. Their state-controlled media has not ONCE reported it though to it's people and the only way people are finding out is through the internet and international broadcasts.

So, could they be killing of their citizens intentionally? If so, what's the purpose? Is there an overpopulation problem in that country?

2. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Its what happens when the military takes over.

Theres a reason why our forefathers put a civilian as the top commander of the miltary.

Look at JFK. All the military advisors were saying invade cuba, attack attack attack... he held fast and probable kept us out of WW3.

3. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Golden Member

maybe they just don't give a shit. Someone on this board pointed out that the people dying are poor and thus aren't contributing anything to that nation's coffers. I heard on the radio that the junta were hoarding food aid received for themselves and handing out spoiled food to the people.. I'd say the answer has to be somewhere between they just don't care and they really are maliciously, intentionally harming their own people.

4. shocksyde

shocksyde Diamond Member

The second cyclone did not form. It is not a threat anymore.

5. Vic

Vic Elite Member

Their govt is a severely f'ed up thing. A dystopia to rival NK. Here's one example. Where they moved their capital to the new city of Naypyidaw a few years ago, almost every factor in the construction of the new capital city was purposefully done with the intent of preventing any possible revolution of the government. From their govt's perspective, if a million Burmese die, and the govt maintains its absolute control, then it's mission accomplished.

6. dphantom

dphantom Diamond Member

Untrue. Civilian governments can and are just as or even more oppressive.

The reason for civilian control is to provide more checks and balances to ensure adequate safeguards for our democracy.

Link

7. rezinn

rezinn Platinum Member

You sure know a lot from reading CNN and seeing stuff on tv.

8. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

To some extent it makes their lives easier if there are fewer peons to keep down. Mostly they really simply don't care. This loss of life is a drop in the bucket over the full term of their rule.

Keep in mind that while all this going on, the generals in charge are carrying on about the country's new constitution and how wonderfully the vote for it has gone.

For the generals, referendum trumps relief

9. Duddy

Duddy Diamond Member

We are trying to discuss a government intentionally letting thousands of it's citizens die and the only thing you can contribute is a sarcastic comment about my intelligence?

It's like you just walked into this thread and farted.

And that's how we will remember you, as a big fart.

Goodbye big fart.

10. Robor

Robor Elite Member

Sorry but that response was classic. I don't know if you borrowed it but it fit perfectly nonetheless. :thumbsup:

11. Vic

Vic Elite Member

Words fail me at this moment... :(

:|

12. JS80

JS80 Lifer

Less people to feed, plus if there are more survivors they will be asking government questions and higher risk of revolt. What the government is doing is absolutely deliberate.

13. JS80

JS80 Lifer

14. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

Maybe. Or they are merely trying to keep the Outside looking In or the Inside looking Out.

15. AlienCraft

AlienCraft Lifer

Yes, they are.

16. maddogchen

maddogchen Diamond Member

I think they're more worried about staying in power than about their own people. They don't want any foreign help because of how paranoid they are:

Text

Its just sad, a really bad tragedy. :(

17. woodie1

woodie1 Diamond Member

As has been said above, they really don't care about anything but themselves.

18. LittleNemoNES

LittleNemoNES Diamond Member

What would happen if things got so bad that -- wait I just remembered Darfur...that place is a mess and no government has decidedly intervened.

19. maddogchen

maddogchen Diamond Member

Sudan and Myanmar, both governments that are aided by China who has used its Veto power to block any action against the two governments.

Last January China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning Myanmar's human rights situation.

It also has repeatedly used, in the past, veto threats to block deployment of a joint UN-African Union peacekeeping force in Darfur. Only recently because of criticism of China ahead of its Olympics has it pressured the Sudannese government to allow the deployment of a UN peacekeeping force in Darfur. China also supplies weapons and helicopters to the Sudanese military which have been used in Darfur. China could do a lot more towards pressuring the Sudanese government to allow intervention in the crisis in Darfur but they are unwilling to.

How China's support of Sudan shields a regime called 'genocidal'

20. WhipperSnapper

I'm not real knowledgeable about Burma, but isn't it severely overpopulated? Perhaps some of the government leaders are Machiavellian and really wouldn't mind all that much if a cyclone helped reduce the population.

21. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

I think "we don't mind" is the answer. They're completely indifferent. It's all about them and that the bottom line.

22. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I didn't know China used the threat of veto to prevent action in Darfur or that it vetoed the resolution condemning Burma. Why doesn't that reach the media?? All I kept hearing with the whole Olympics fiasco is "China isn't doing anything about Sudan". Now the news is about how wonderful China is and how well it's handling the earthquake aftermath.