Is the GMAT basically the same as the SAT?

batchusa

Aug 5, 2004
Hmm, GMAT verbal doesn't really test you on vocab. Basically, sentence correction, critical analysis, and reading comprehension. The math is at the same level (ie, up to Geometry), but prob a bit harder. A lot of stuff on number properties.

SLU MD

Aug 14, 2003
math is considerably harder. its all about logic and how you think, every question on the test. also, its a CAT exam, where questions get harder or easier as you continue along. by the end of my test, they were pretty freaking hard. by the way, i did well 700+ so i know what i'm talking about.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: SLU MD
math is considerably harder. its all about logic and how you think, every question on the test. also, its a CAT exam, where questions get harder or easier as you continue along. by the end of my test, they were pretty freaking hard. by the way, i did well 700+ so i know what i'm talking about.

I see, so my 1240 SAT will actually translate to a lower GMAT score then? :(

BTW, if you're a doctor, why did you take the GMAT? Don't you guys take the MCAT?

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
As others have said, I don't believe it's perfectly synonymous (other than being more difficult) than the SAT. I don't personally know anyone who's taken it, though. I'd recommend flipping through a GMAT study guide at Barnes & Noble sometime; that'd be the best way to get a feel for the test.

If anything, I'd say that the GRE is likely more comparable than the GMAT to the SAT. But again, I could be wrong.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

:D
Great! I did awesome on the math part of the SAT. 800 on the math or something, but not so great on the verbal.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
damn it, you just reminded me that i should be studying for the gmat, along with the series 7. :(

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
There's no SAT to GMAT translation since the tests are quite different. I've taken both and I think the GMAT questions are harder because they try to trick you and on some of the questions, you have to choose the best answer (as opposed to the one correct answer). That's just me ... I've spoken to people who thought the GMAT was a breeze but the GMAT is a computer-adaptive test so the more you get right, the harder the questions get and vice versa.

SLU MD

Aug 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus

I see, so my 1240 SAT will actually translate to a lower GMAT score then? :(

BTW, if you're a doctor, why did you take the GMAT? Don't you guys take the MCAT?

yeah u are right, we do take the MCAT. i am in an MD/MBA dual degree program, so i had to take both.