Is the Fong Kai 603 case any good?

Essence

Sep 10, 2000
the case is great! to make it even better my local best buy has the unmarked fk-603 on sale for $55. the power supply is amd approved and the cooling is above average...good luck

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
there have been a lot of reviews on this case and it always gets high marks. It's also a good-looking case. I would recommend it.

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
The local Best Buy in my area does have the Fong Kai 604 but not the 603. Unfortunately, the 604 is a smaller case than the 603. The Best Buy case is sold under the Digital Research brand name.

RobD

Jan 28, 2000
I just received two of the FK-603 cases. I have one hooked up so far, the second one I plan on doing tonight. I think this is the best case I have seen so far (though I like the Antec SX830, but it was too tall for under my desk shelf). The case was easy to install everything into, had plenty of room for working, and didn't take a chunk of flesh out of my hand in the process.

The first one replaced an Antec KS388 case. I will say that I think the Antec 250W power supply is much better unit than the FK 250W. The FK was a tiny bit weaker in some of the amperage, and didn't have as many power connectors.

So tonight when I replace my InWin A500, I will swap the Antec 300W power supply that is in that case for the FK one. The A500 is going to house one of those cheap Tekram motherboards and my old Celeron 466, so it doesn't need the big power supply.

jebus

Jun 9, 2000
In a similar topic, what does everyone think about the Fong Kai FK-320? I'm considering getting this case.. should I or shouldn't I? at what price is it a good deal?

RobD

Jan 28, 2000
I bought my two from www.directron.com, paid $71 a-piece plus $27 to ship them both. I think they were $69 each, but I bought the extra $2 "Intel P3" sticker, since I trashed my old ones trying to get them off the old cases.

One problem I was having with my A500 was that my SB Live Value was VERY fussy about being seated properly in my CUSL2 board (guess the SBLive has a very short PCI slot-edge). With the FK603 case, it fit and was recognized in the very first install. It took me 30 minutes last time to get it recognized by the motherboard with the A500. You mileage may vary, but it made me a happy camper!

AMB

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2000
jebus,

the FK-320 is a very good case, one of the best around, good build qualty, excellent thermals

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
It seems Best Buy carries the Fong Kai 604 equivalent under the Digital Research name.

Does anyone know if Best Buy carries the Fong Kai 603 equivalent?

Thanks...

Essence

Sep 10, 2000
i just upgraded to the fk 320, and whereas i like both the 603 and 320, unless you absolutly have to have the 2 external 3.5 bays, the 320 is the way to go.

i saw the fk 603 sold at best buy in austin last week, i did not notice what name it was sold under, but it was on sale for $55 a good deal!!!

jebus

Jun 9, 2000
how much did you pay for your FK320 and where did you buy it? I was considering getting it but the case is too expensive for me.

Chex

Aug 19, 2000
I just built a system with the 603. It runs cool and is easy to asemble. However, be gentle with the air outtake that fits over the CPU. The little tabs break easily.

raiford56

Oct 18, 2000
I bought the Kong Fai 603 after reading the write-up on this site. I paid $120 for the case with a 300W PS. Putting it together was pretty easy, but I don't like the plastic feet at all. What really bothers me is that it sounds like the exhaust fan in a factory somewhere. I need ear plugs to make it quiet enough to get any work done. To say I am displeased with the situation would be an understatement. The article talked about how quiet it was, and mine sounds like it will get airbone at any minute. I am going to have to take the fans out one at a time, and replace the noise maker. So, be ware. I also bought mine from Directron.com, but the prices must have gone up after Anandtech reviewed it. The front case fan was extra, and I paid $28 to upgrade to a 300 W PS. I just checked the fans, and it is the PS fan that is so loud. Not just loud, terrible. Directron.com is gouging!!
Thanks

markymark618

Aug 24, 2000
The Fong Kai 320 is one bad mofo. Great cooling and lots of room. I live in Houston so I didn't have to have it shipped so it ae out to ~$100.