Is the EVGA GTX 780 SC worth extra over the standard GTX 780?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I prefer to get a GTX 780 with the reference cooler. I've narrowed it down to either to the PNY GTX 780, EVGA GTX 780 SC or the standard clocked EVGA GTX 780. Is there any throttling problems on the GTX 780 SC and does the SC (non-ACX) version run louder than the standard version?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Any reason you are not going for the MSI Gaming 780? If you are looking for the quietest 780, it's the best option.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-780-sli-msi-palit_4.html#sect0

I wouldn't get a reference card period since nearly every after-market cooler is superior in performance and noise levels. You can always set up a custom fan curve and because the cooler is superior drop the rpms but then if you need the extra cooling ability, increase the fan speed and receive it since the cooler is superior. The main situations where the reference card has an advantage are in small cases, cases with poor airflow, or when going with an SLI/Tri-SLI configuration.

For single GPU configs in a modern case, an open air design is almost always superior. I would go for the SC card from the ones you listed since it also comes factory pre-overclocked which means it's more than 10% faster than the reference design out of the box for $20 more.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I prefer to get a GTX 780 with the reference cooler. I've narrowed it down to either to the PNY GTX 780, EVGA GTX 780 SC or the standard clocked EVGA GTX 780. Is there any throttling problems on the GTX 780 SC and does the SC (non-ACX) version run louder than the standard version?

I'd really have to agree with RS on his points above - any particular reason for the reference design? It's a fine design but won't perform as well as an aftermarket cooler, and the 780 scales really well with clockspeeds. On average the reference cooler will have you hovering around 80C, but if you want to OC an aftermarket cooler will always be substantially better with any kepler card (so long as you're not using a super small chassis).

Also, if you OC the reference blower you will negate some of the quietness - you will have to use higher manual fan settings and you will still not be able to achieve the clocks that an aftermarket card would. If your case can handle it, i'd really suggest one of the better aftermarket designs - you'll get higher clocks, quieter idle operation and quieter load operation. It's a win-win unless you're trying to SLI (reference may be better in this case) or if you're using a small mITX case.

Piklar

Aug 9, 2013
Get the reference card if: You have a case like Silverstone FT02 or Raven series that has large intake fans on the botton of the case and verticly mounts the card to blow air out the top.

Get the reference card if: You do not care about overclocking beyond 1150mhz and don't mind the sound of the reference fan @80% (its not overtop loud but noticeable)

Get the reference card if: You want to run SLI or Tri SLI and vent the hot air out of the case.

Get the aftermarket cooler if: You want to overclock beyond 1150mhz , have average airflow in your case and need the extra cooling, want a quieter card as the fans wont have to spin up as high to achieve similar or lower temps, just want the one card and want to get the most out of it.

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
I have 2 of the 780 SC ACXs from EVGA. So far, quite pleased.....and if they are good enough for a cpl 10s from MaxPC...good enough for me.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I prefer the look of the reference design cooler over any other 3rd party cooler for the GTX 780. Also if I want to keep my CPU from overheating during an overclock, should I go with a GTX 780 with a reference cooler?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I prefer the look of the reference design cooler over any other 3rd party cooler for the GTX 780.

What difference does it make since the card is upside down in the case. You can never see the reference cooler after.

Also if I want to keep my CPU from overheating during an overclock, should I go with a GTX 780 with a reference cooler?

Did you not read any reviews of after-market 780s, any of the comments made in this thread? The reference cooler on 780 has the worst cooling ability out of all the 780s. A reference cooler cannot compete with after-market dual or triple fan designs with 4-6 heatpipes. Then take a card like Galaxy HOF. It comes with more premium components/VRMs and out of the box is 20% faster than a stock 780, all that for just $40 more. When it comes to running just 1 GPU in your system, the reference cooler is usually the worst choice when it comes to noise levels, performance and overclocking. It sounds like you are set on the reference cooler so go with that.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I prefer the look of the reference design cooler over any other 3rd party cooler for the GTX 780. Also if I want to keep my CPU from overheating during an overclock, should I go with a GTX 780 with a reference cooler?

It's all up to you but this is a non issue if you have a good case. It won't increase your CPU temps unless your case is a horrible mess in terms of air flow and is tiny - I was assuming you had a full size ATX/EATX case.

The reference definitely is louder (at load and while OC'ing) than the best aftermarket designs, and has less OC headroom. The reference 780 will always hover around 80C, and with that being the case it limits your OC ability fairly drastically. You can OC some but not to amazing levels. So your choice basically depends on what you value more. If you value OC headroom and quietness while OC'ing - an aftermarket card would be the best bet. If you plan to SLI later reference may make sense - but as a single card, I seriously seriously doubt that it will raise your CPU temperatures. I have used aftermarket cards of many brands for several generations and CPU temperatures have never been an issue for me with any my ATX cases.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
OP, I agree with getting aftermarket cooling. Because of the thermal throttle temps being set so conservatively improved cooling is more critical with Kepler than any previous designs. Your CPU will likely fair better with any additional heat given off by the gpu than the GPU will by running hotter.

When Titan first came out there were review sites who ran benches with the cards warmed up and they were throttling. The 780 has voltage control and "could" suffer worse from it. Especially if you try O/C'ing. Go with the best cooler you can get.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I think a serious gtx770/gtx780/titan owner would seriously consider a aftermarket card,my zotac gtx770 with its amp! cooler has been excellent and i would say its housed in a poor mans case and still no issues with heat,highest load since ownership has been 75cel with a oc on a 65% fanspeed....

The higher tdp of this series of gpus should by itself be enough justification for a aftermarket cooler.