Is the DJI Phantom 1 a good starter drone?

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
Or is it severely lacking compared to the current ones. I want to take 1080p video and just get started out on it. Guy at the local park flying them had an extra, says he will sell me one for about $100.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I have a Phantom 1. The Phantom 1 is a very capable drone but lacks a dedicated camera. It does have a fixed mount for a camera. You'll need a GoPro to take video

small_1@2x.png

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can add a 3D gimbal with pitch control that works with the remote and analog video streaming for several hundred dollars more.
dji-phantom-2-s-videoprenosom.jpg

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Given a Phantom 3 can be had for under 500 dollarbucks I'd just get one of those.

Or if you're really cheap maybe a Parrot AR Drone? IIRC those are under $200.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
$100 is a great price to get your feet wet.
if you want something more capable while still saving some money, this forum has a lot of good used deals too
phantompilots.com

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
No clue, but I was impressed that the Phantom 3 base model was only $500 during the holidays.

On the other hand, if you don't know what you're doing, getting some practice crashing a $100 drone feels better than a $500 drone.

drquest

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
$100 isn't much to spend on one, as long as the battery is decent it's probably worth picking up and would be fun to fly around. Your best bet is a Phantom 3, which I have, but it's more money, but those prices keep dropping too. I also did just hear that DJI is stopping production on the Phantom 3's.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I have a Phantom 1. The Phantom 1 is a very capable drone but lacks a dedicated camera. It does have a fixed mount for a camera. You'll need a GoPro to take video

That was the most surprising thing when I looked at the Phantom 3: newer Phantoms may come with cameras. I hadn't paid much attention since Phantom 1 when it was still BYOC.

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
No clue, but I was impressed that the Phantom 3 base model was only $500 during the holidays.

On the other hand, if you don't know what you're doing, getting some practice crashing a $100 drone feels better than a $500 drone.

My son picked up a Phantom 3 standard from BB for $399 during the holidays with his xma$ haul. Pretty cool little gadget.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For $100 I'd buy it. The 3's are like $1,500 when I recently checked, the 1 is still going to be pretty decent especially compared to drones you can buy new at that price. You can always later on splurge on a 3 or something else in that price range if you feel the need to.

I got a small ~$100 drone but it lacks range and camera is very flaky. It does not always record and you don't know whether or not it recorded until you check the SD card. But can't complain for $100. I'd definitely pay that for a phantom, that's a crazy good deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9TAubP-ZQ (this is from my cheap drone, it's a "Holy Stone" one. )

I want to look into building a drone at some point actually, could make a fun project. You can buy all the parts more or less premade just the thing of assembling it all. Can probably build a decent drone for under $500 that way. + add a gopro.

Edit: Holy crap they must have price dropped a LOT in the past months. Way cheaper now even for the 3.

https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-Recording...id=1484274494&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+3+drone Only $678.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
That was the most surprising thing when I looked at the Phantom 3: newer Phantoms may come with cameras. I hadn't paid much attention since Phantom 1 when it was still BYOC.
I can't believe how cheap they've gotten. I still need to install my gimbal, telemetry chip, larger props, video transmitter, video receiver, antennas, larger battery, and get my ham radio license for the transmitter to give myself most of what the Phantom 3 has.

It's probably just easier to buy a complete package these days. But then again spending $100 to learn how to fly before moving up to a 3 or 4 might be worth it.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Speaking of drones and how far they've come... I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to attach a fail-safe parachute or airbag to drones yet -- I know they have return home features. Some backup system with accelerometer or speed gauge that detects that it's falling too quickly and deploys an airbag or parachute. If Amazon actually goes through with their delivery thing, could be useful.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Speaking of drones and how far they've come... I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to attach a fail-safe parachute or airbag to drones yet -- I know they have return home features. Some backup system with accelerometer or speed gauge that detects that it's falling too quickly and deploys an airbag or parachute. If Amazon actually goes through with their delivery thing, could be useful.
For the larger drones they do:

maxresdefault.jpg

dji-dropsafe.jpg