Question Is the ASUS RADEON RX 6600 DUAL 8GB GDDR6 a good card for digital animation?

Inikay

Dec 29, 2004
I need a graphic card for beginner digital animation (and some light gaming).
My budget is around 300€ and I'm Europe based.
Is the ASUS RADEON RX 6600 DUAL 8GB GDDR6 a good choice?

Rig:
GIGABYTE B560M DS3H V2
INTEL Core i5 11500 2.70GHz 12MB Socket 1200
G.SKILL KIT 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Ripjaws V Black

Thanks!

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
for what your wanting to do, its going to be a nvidia card that fits all your objectives best.

which is admittedly kinda of lame, but your not going to change the world.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I am not familiar with Krita, but just looked it up and they have full AMD support. All of the others also have AMD support. There was a bug impacting Adobe software early this year, but that was already fixed in the spring.

With a 300 euro budget, you can get a much more powerful AMD card than you can nVidia. For an nVidia card, you would be stuck with a pretty low end card. But if you buy now, AMD cards are on sale as AMD tries to get rid of old inventory. So you can get them for cheap. If you shop around (depending if you have VAT and such), you should be able to find a Radeon RX 6600 for 300€ .

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I am not familiar with Krita, but just looked it up and they have full AMD support. All of the others also have AMD support. There was a bug impacting Adobe software early this year, but that was already fixed in the spring.

With a 300 euro budget, you can get a much more powerful AMD card than you can nVidia. For an nVidia card, you would be stuck with a pretty low end card. But if you buy now, AMD cards are on sale as AMD tries to get rid of old inventory. So you can get them for cheap. If you shop around (depending if you have VAT and such), you should be able to find a Radeon RX 6600 for 300€ .
Stuka87 is right.

If you buy AMD your getting much better hardware in your price bracket. More performance, runs cooler, more memory, less electricity consumed.

If all your software supports it properly, buy AMD.

I was concerned your software wouldn't support AMD properly, but if I am wrong about that AMD is the right choice in your price bracket. AMD support is sometimes added in as an afterthought, but over the last year the whole situation has become better.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My $.02 if you are looking for professional software "full support" then the Quadro is the "safe" play but for the money spent you'll get the least performance.

I would either go AMD for the value or Quadro for the drivers and compatibility. Going with normal desktop nvidia GPUs is a middle compromise that might be disapointing. Some acceleration is reserved for Quadros running certified drivers. Now, I don't think I see any software on your list where this would be true, but that would be something I would look into.

A Quadro P2000 5GB might be available for your budget and is probably the sweet spot for relative performance and CUDA capabilities at that budget point in the Quadro family. For light gaming it would also be serviceable with performance in the ~1060 3GB range.

The AMD 6600 is significantly faster.

Last edited:

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
@Inikay

Some of the software you name is CPU-limited and won't care about the video card. But the rest does run more reliably and faster on Nvidia. AMD is trying to improve it, but the feedback I see from people is that it's not yet good enough and results in a lot of headaches.

Unfortunately, a budget of 300€ is really low with Nvidia right now. I would suggest increasing that budget to 400€ and getting a 3060 12 GB. The 3050 is way weaker and worse value. You will also miss out on the extra memory which can be especially useful for rendering.

Be aware that Nvidia is trying to defraud customers with a slow 8GB model of the 3060. Don't get that one, even if it is a little cheaper. Also get a 3060 with at least 2 fans, not a 1-fan card.

@blckgrffn

I would never suggest a Quadro unless someone has a big budget and is OK with poor value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inikay

Trefugl

Dec 3, 2013
While those programs might support AMD, for several, Nvidia is just a lot faster even with "slower" cards (eg 3060ti is close to 6800xt). The need for CUDA really sucks for a lot of professional apps.. it's getting better, but still not there yet. I nearly snagged a great deal on a 6650xt or 6700xt, but passed thanks to CUDA.

Here's one excerpt for blender:

Reactions: Tlh97 and Inikay

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Programs like:
Clipstudio paint
Blender
Kripta
Photoshop
DaVinci
Illustrator
After effects
Premiere pro
What is your main program that you use? There isn't necessarily a best universal card. If something like Blender and DaVinci Resolve are the most important for you then things are a bit different than if you would mainly just use Clipstudio.