Is the 6850 a worthy upgrade from 4890?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I'd say wait. Your 4890 was a top card of its day. You would need to jump on a top card two generations later in order to really feel difference. You should go for 6950 at least in order to really make this worthwhile.

It sounds like you're more annoyed with the fan sound than actual performance. if u can get a good GPU fan, you may want to look into that. Or introduce some fan to move the hot air out of the case better.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
I'd say wait. Your 4890 was a top card of its day. You would need to jump on a top card two generations later in order to really feel difference. You should go for 6950 at least in order to really make this worthwhile.

It sounds like you're more annoyed with the fan sound than actual performance. if u can get a good GPU fan, you may want to look into that. Or introduce some fan to move the hot air out of the case better.

Yeah I'm using a Lian Li PC-7B which doesn't get the greatest airflow. I've looked at GPU coolers in the past but it doesn't seem like a decent option considering I'll have to buy the ramsinks as well. Replacing the cooler will probably cost almost half of what this card is worth, and I'd rather spend that money towards a new card entirely.

As far as actual GPU performance goes, it does dip to ~30 fps in Black Ops, but I have a feeling that the game itself is not greatly optimized for PCs. Civ 5 also taxes my system, but it doesn't bother me as much as it's turn-based.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Yeah I'm using a Lian Li PC-7B which doesn't get the greatest airflow. I've looked at GPU coolers in the past but it doesn't seem like a decent option considering I'll have to buy the ramsinks as well. Replacing the cooler will probably cost almost half of what this card is worth, and I'd rather spend that money towards a new card entirely.

As far as actual GPU performance goes, it does dip to ~30 fps in Black Ops, but I have a feeling that the game itself is not greatly optimized for PCs. Civ 5 also taxes my system, but it doesn't bother me as much as it's turn-based.
even for Black Ops you are going to need a faster cpu than your E5200 to keep the framerates where you want them. http://www.techspot.com/review/336-cod-black-ops-performance/page8.html

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
I've looked at GPU coolers in the past but it doesn't seem like a decent option considering I'll have to buy the ramsinks as well. Replacing the cooler will probably cost almost half of what this card is worth, and I'd rather spend that money towards a new card entirely.

I have the opposite problem, I silenced my 4890 for a gaming HTPC build, so I'm wondering what a good (but very quiet) performance upgrade would be. I eventually want to get a better performing DX11 card at 1080p, but it has to be a quiet as my 4890.

I silenced the 4890 with a Scythe Musahsi kit for $20. Very easy cooler to install, especially if you have a reference 4890. The reference 4890 has a huge, unitary VRM metal heatsink that according to tests is more effective than any kit, replacement heatsinks. The Musashi is compatible with this heatsink, so you only need to add ram heatsinks from the kit. Easy mod.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I'd personally be disappointed with that. DX11 is great for maintaining a fully capable gaming rig, but given the lack of what DX11 has brought so far to games I think performance has to weigh in a lot more than just a non widely used feature set that looks to be demanding enough to warrant very high performing cards.

For the OP, i'd suggest looking to a 570gtx, 6950, 6970 or wait. If you want an upgrade you can really feel I think you need 50% gain.

I second this opinion. 20% is something you can often times get just by OCing your card's core and memory speeds. I would say double this (40%+) would be ideal for an upgrade, unless you always want the best (480 to 580 for example). For me personally, GTX260 -> 5870 was a pretty nice upgrade, and I would not currently upgrade to any single GPUs from my card until something faster is released.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I went from the 4890 to the 6850.

Its not really worth it - wait another generation even. The most notable difference is a quieter PC.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I agree with u.
you agree with a post that was inaccurate? the 6850 only has 1gb of vram not to mention 2gb would be useless on that level of gpu anyway.

as for the other stuff, DX11 is almost worthless for now and should certainly not be the main reason for upgrading. in most cases DX11 looks identical while running slower. DX11 will give options to run a few settings that will slow down the performance even more.

also factor in the OPs cpu which would limit what little jump there already is in those very cpu intensive games and its hardly worth the trouble and cost.

Last edited:

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
have you considered picking up a second 4890? i doubled up recently for $75.00, and i think the combo approaches 5870 level performance, at the cost of more heat and electricity.

Two 4890's are quicker than a 5870 -I had both and tested them side to side. Very good performance and pretty cheap. I'd get a 6950 if you can afford it and then you can get another down the line and have ample video memory for the future. You want to really notice the difference with a new card-if it doesn't make you grin then what is the point?

Last edited: