Is the 3570k worth getting?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by jehuty2276, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jehuty2276

jehuty2276 Junior Member

Before I get a bunch of replies saying "YES", note that I live in Jamaica and I have no air conditioning in my house, it's not an option either because air conditioners are very expensive here and it causes huge electric bills. The only time it ever gets cool is at night.

I'm building a new pc primarily for gaming and emulating ps2/wii but I don't know whether to get the 2500k or 3570k or to just get a non k ivy bridge. Everything else is picked out, just stuck on the processor. I have the corsair 400r case. Was planning on getting the Hyper 212 Evo, but I'm sure anymore.

2. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

You got it right, 3570K + 212 Evo = :biggrin:

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

A 2500K produces more heat than a 3570K. So it should be pretty obvious to pick a 3570K.

4. WiseUp216

WiseUp216 Platinum Member

+1

You won't need to run the air conditioner just because you bought a 3570K.

5. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

Just get a non K IB with the CM Hyper212 Evo. Since you most likely will never overclock under that climate.

6. jehuty2276

jehuty2276 Junior Member

I didn't mean it like that, it's just that most people always say "turn on the a/c" whenever someone talks about IB in high room temps and that isn't an option for me. The most I wanted to do was 4.0-4.2, so nothing extreme.

#6 jehuty2276, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Thats honestly people full of BS to say it mildly.

SB makes more heat in the room than IB does.

IDC made a nice graph actually:
    [​IMG]

All power gets turned into heat in your room. Less power used=less heat generated. Plus IB is around 5% faster clock for clock.

#7 ShintaiDK, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. jehuty2276

jehuty2276 Junior Member

So I'd be fine with just the 212 evo and opened windows?

9. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

You could just use the stock cooler and open or closed window is all up to yourself.

Do you have a graphics card? And what model?

10. cytg111

cytg111 Platinum Member

And maybe turning on the ac is not for the benefit of the human factor but rather to cool the chip down.

Anyway, IB > SB should be a nobrainer either way.

11. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Given the same room temp. Ivy will have a higher core temp than SB whether it produces less heat or not. The temperature will still be higher.

12. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

I imagine that even with the hot weather you have, you should be able to hit 4.4ghz without excessive voltage if you get a nice aftermarket cooler. It's only a few percent higher than you could go with a non-K model, but sometimes that last few percent is key in emulation.

It also operates safely at higher temperatures. Why is that relevant?

13. jehuty2276

jehuty2276 Junior Member

I decided to go with the 3570k and the Hyper 212 evo and doing an overclock to 4.0. If the temps are good then I'll either keep it that or increase it until I reach a limit. If they're bad then I'll keep it at stock until I can buy a better cooler.

14. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

This is the critical part to me. I think the temperature of the chip is what the op is concerned about in an environment with a high ambient temperature, not how much heat the chip gives off. I see this as a weakness in ivy, despite giving off less total heat. The temperature of the chip is what counts, maybe not so much in desktops with extra cooling, but I see it as a bigger problem in mobile.

15. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

My experience at home here with both SB and IB is that IB handles a hot summer much better than SB. Simply because the cooler needs to get rid of less heat as well.

16. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

IB runs hot on the cores, but is very inefficient at transferring that heat up to and out of the IHS. This is due to the tiny die surface area and bad conductivity from die surface through TIM to IHS. So in the end, even if you have an overclocked IB that's running in the 90C range, the heat coming off of the HSF won't be that much really.

I say it's fine, but be aware that IB is a true crap-shoot with OC. I personally prefer SB even after installing dozens of IBs as I almost always can get the build up to 4.5-4.8 on moderate voltages and get temps well under control with a good HSF, which makes me feel good for long-term stability. With IB (I don't de-lid client systems), I tend to run into walls at 4.2-4.4 with most of them without going over my comfort zone in voltage.

In my personal system (mainly gaming), I went from 2500K to 3570K to 3770K and back to 2500K. I can get easy 4.9Ghz and relatively mild temps at a safe voltage with my 2500K, the best I've been able to do on 1.28V with the 3770K is 4.5Ghz, with substantially higher core temps.

Cliffs = Ivy will run hotter in the core, but put less heat into the room and also use a bit less power. Ivy generally also overclocks less, but has a very slight IPC advantage that somewhat offsets this. Ivy also has PCI-Express 3.0, which is essentially meaningless right now outside of high-end multi-GPU setups, but that might come into play with the next-gen top-SKU GPUs. Ivy generally costs a few bucks more.

17. jehuty2276

jehuty2276 Junior Member

I'm perfectly fine with 4.4 or less tbh so that sounds pretty good to me.

18. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Yep, I think you'll do fine. Heck, unless you're running at least a really good 7950/670 or higher, I'd recommend sticking with lower volts and 4.2 as max. In that case, Ivy is your winner!

19. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

If you are concerned about power and heat get a Haswell next year and leave it at stock.

20. 2is

2is Diamond Member

As stated already, IB produces less heat. Running hotter and producing more heat are two different things. The flame from a lighter is a lot hotter than the heated air from the vent in my living room, but it does not produce anywhere near as much heat.

If power/heat is a concern, buy the chip and leave it running stock. You can safely save $30 on the cooler and a little more by not buying the K varient.

21. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

You'll be fine. If the temps are too high for you in the summer then you could just lower clocks a smidge for a few months or consider delidding the CPU.