Is text good on a 22inch widescreen ?

bendixG15

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Got to buy a monitor for 11 year old mostly for school work.
I am concerned about getting good, clear text and not concerned about games.

Right now looking at 22" Acer al2216wbd.
I don't own any widescreens so I need your input.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I *think* most of the 22" widescreens are pretty close to the same thing... different inputs, warranty's, name brand vs. off brand, etc. I have the Acre monitor you mention in your OP, it's fine for text/office work. But, I would think any 22" will be fine for text if you run the native res, there shouldn't be any blur, it should look sharp. I'd say grab the Acer if you have a deal on it, I have it and like it a lot.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I *think* most of the 22" widescreens are pretty close to the same thing... different inputs, warranty's, name brand vs. off brand, etc. I have the Acre monitor you mention in your OP, it's fine for text/office work. But, I would think any 22" will be fine for text if you run the native res, there shouldn't be any blur, it should look sharp. I'd say grab the Acer if you have a deal on it, I have it and like it a lot.

An 11 year old should have a 3008 Dell no matter what! :D

It will be fine

bendixG15

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BassBomb
An 11 year old should have a 3008 Dell no matter what! :D

She ought to have two .. what can you do with one 30" screen ?? :roll:
-----------------------------------
Looks like all Pro .. no Con ..

Griswold

Dec 24, 2004
Good and clear text is not so much a matter of size but quality of the panel. Size comes into play when the resolution for a given screen size is unusual high. dpi (dots per inch) is the magic acronym here. Too high dpi will result in small (but still can be "good and clear) letters - but sometimes too small for a good reading experience. For screens that are mostly used for text processing, I always aim for a model that comes with less than 100dpi, preferably around 95dpi.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
What about the LG L227WTG I have it, and text is crystal clear with the glossy screen.

IronGeek

Jun 5, 2004
I would venture to say that unless you're piping the image into an old, analog television, text clarity won't be an issue. Also, your eleven-year-old *will* be concerned about games, so you probably want to rely on onboard video, if limiting them is your intent.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Text will be fine.
If he/she has a problem reading, just increase the DPI in the display settings for large text.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
If you're in the US and you have a Sams Club membership snag the Samsung 223BW. I just set one up for someone and it's a very good monitor - comparable to my own LG L226WTQ, and you can get it for $250.00 with no rebates of course.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: psihog
damn spoiled kids, some of us used 14" monochrome CRT when we were kids! :p

The real unfortunate one used Green Monochrome!

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
My 9 year old has the 22" Acer - works fine. You would be best off with a monitor with a larger pixel size, like the 22" widescreens, or a 19" non-widescreen. Just don't get a 20" widescreen - text is tiny at native resolution on those.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Looks great on mine:
24 inch dell ultrasharp

But it might be a bit hard for some older people to see due to smaller pixels (although you COULD just lower the resolution, and get a slight blur).

22 inch has larger pixels, so do the 27 and 30 inch monitors...
If you want larger but sharpest text then 22 inch is the ideal size.

Srock

Jun 25, 2004
Each LCD screen is built with a "native resolution". This is the horizonal and vertical pixel dimensions. Crisp text wil be best at "native resolution" which will assign an image at one dot per pixel. If you dont use the native resolution, the video card will interpolate and will use multiple pixels in some areas and a single pixel in others to create a "dot". The result is fuzzy text. You should check the driver for your video card (especially if it is older) and be certain it will support the native resolution of your monitor- If so, use that for your resolution and you will have crisp text. Be aware though that the very high native resolution of some monitors may cause text to be small (OK for young eyes, not so good for mine). You can sometimes find a lower resolution for a monitor which is an exact devisor of the native resolution which will assign 2 or 3 pixels for every dot and will still provide sharp images as well.

Steve

bendixG15

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Yea, the video card is what I have to look at next.

Got a Radeon 9600 something, have to check the resolutions.

Jun 8, 2008
I have a 22" acer and the text is super crisp at long as its at 1680x1050. If u lower the res. any the text gets really crappy(as with most LCDs.) But the bigger the monitor the worst it looks at lo res. If you can run that res. then that monitor should serve you well.

(edit)That card should run at 1680x1050