Is T-Mobile Edge fast enough for Pandora?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by amdhunter, Jan 9, 2013.

1. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

I think keeping my iPhone permanently in the car outweighs carrying my Nexus 4 for no reason. It does bluetooth audio better, has more space for music, actually syncs with Rdio (which both my Nexus 4 and Lumia cannot do reliably) and I'm tired of carrying two phones at all times.

Thinking about dumping my Nexus 4 and unlocking the iPhone to use my T-Mobile SIM in it.

All I care is whether or not Pandora will stream. I can always sync tracks with Rdio, and have a ton of music for offline playback. Occasionally, I'd like to stream Pandora.

Will it stream on Edge? Has anyone tried this? I don't care at all about browsing the web.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Mobile Edge fast Forum Date
    Is ebay a recommended place to buy unlocked (new) GSM / LTE phones? Want to use on T-Mobile network. Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 15, 2017
    Smart home Apps for Windows Mobile Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 5, 2017
    Your largest mobile app download? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 15, 2017
    Which mobile providers DO NOT require a fee to remove their block on hot-spot ? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Feb 15, 2017
    T-mobile S7 and S7 edge update adds FM radio! Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 5, 2016

3. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

It will stream and does it decently, but the second you go to do anything else you'll buffer.

How about keeping the iPhone in your car and using the N4 as a hotspot for radio access when you need it.

And again, if you decide you want to sell that Nexus 4... /whistles.

#2 bearxor, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

By dumping you mean selling way above the price you paid for it, I guess.

In optimal conditions EDGE will suffice for lower quality stream, the HQ will skip and buffer a lot. I sense you are aggravated with the phone because you provided some unnecessary information.

5. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Prob sell it for 3 even. I don't really care if I don't sell it or not. You've never seen any of my FS/FT threads have you? :)

6. Jynxed

Jynxed Junior Member

Don't know if you heard but T-mobile is changing their system so old Iphones can get 3g. Here is a user based coverage map.

http://www.airportal.de/

And to answer your question........In my experience No edge isn't enough to smoothly stream Pandora

#5 Jynxed, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. magomago

magomago Lifer

yup you can i do it a lot. On my old blackberry, with most likely buggy SW, it takes a while to buffer, but once it starts, it keeps going so as long as you have a semi-decent connection (ie: not barely 1 bar)

8. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Yeah, but I move back and forth a bit, so I don't want to get myself worked up on thinking 3G will work everywhere.

9. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Service on my Nexus 4 has been fantastic so far. I've streamed Pandora for hours on end with not a single hiccup. If their Edge service holds up, I'll be happy.

10. Jynxed

Jynxed Junior Member

Why don't you just put your N4 into 2g mode and fire up Pandora and see for yourself then?

11. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Everytime I try to dumb down the settings my phone stopped responding. I'm too lazy to find a ROM to test.

Ended up buying an unlock on eBay. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to test it from work.

12. magomago

magomago Lifer

Yup same experience on edge. I've streamed Pandora for 8+ hours a day at work. I do have to set my audio at 'Low Quality' though...but the Shitty Ear Buds means that I probably don't hear the difference hahaha.

When I'm in a 3G zone and my AT&T phone (yup I was stupid and thought 'sim card is sim card') switches the logo from edge to 3G, I can play HQ music without an issue.

13. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

arent you in the bronx ? u should have 3g by now, 3 months ago i only have a little 3g in nyc, now I get it more.. still not full 3g everywhere but i say 30-50% of the area have 3g now , i been using a 4s on tmo

14. Sid59

Sid59 Lifer

why not just tether your nexus to your iphone and stream your iphone BT to your headunit?

15. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

I get HSPA+ and from the website linked above, things seem like it'll be fine in all the areas I go to. Hopefully, I'll get to test in the morning.

16. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

I just want to sit in the car, hit the Pandora icon and go.

I don't want to sit in the car, start tethering, pick up the iphone, set up the wifi and hope it works, then go. :)

Plus I'm tired of having two phones on my body.

17. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

No, I haven't seen the FS threads nor was I implying you were scalping, just saying that your post painted the phone as a paperweight yet it fetches close to twice it's MSRP.

18. Sid59

Sid59 Lifer

id rather do that than a buffer issue on edge

19. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Ah. Yeah, I know what it's worth. I'd honestly be happy with a Nexus 7 in a trade. That's probably what I'll end up doing if anything.

20. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Unlocked the iPhone, threw my T-mobile SIM on it. Ran Pandora, Rdio and both worked beautifully. It's just ever so slightly longer to switch tracks, but I never forwarded much anyway.

Can't wait to take it for a spin in the car later today.

21. s44

s44 Diamond Member

22. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Nice. I ended up keeping the phone because I didn't realize my pants were eating the edges away. It sucks, the glass on the Nexus is really too damned soft.

The sides look serrated and one of the scratches have 4 lines coming to the top of the screen at the edge. :(

At home I didn't see it, but I was cleaning it with an eyeglass kit and sure enough, I noticed a ton of scratches on the sides. *sigh*

At least I know not to keep my Lumia in my pocket now.