Is Style XP only way to use quality WinXP skins?

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Err.. I ran out of their free trial. I can't believe they charge for the skins. Is there any other similar programs like that out there?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Download the UXTheme Util on tgtsoft's site. It will patch the actual dll so you don't need to use StyleXP at all.

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Download the UXTheme Util on tgtsoft's site. It will patch the actual dll so you don't need to use StyleXP at all.

What exactly does it do? :confused:

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: thawolfman

It "patches" the dll (uxtheme.dll) that takes care of the theme's in XP to allow third party themes to be used. You run it, it creates a new dll, you replace the old one (it's actually stored in two places- c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\dllcache) and then you're done.

Edit: Link It's the last one on the page.

JayPatel

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
tweakxp.org has really simple tutorial on hoow to patch the dll, its much easier to follow than the tgtsoft's readme file

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002

It "patches" the dll (uxtheme.dll) that takes care of the theme's in XP to allow third party themes to be used. You run it, it creates a new dll, you replace the old one (it's actually stored in two places- c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\dllcache) and then you're done.

I ran the patcher and doesn't work, rebooted and still doesn't work.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace

I ran the patcher and doesn't work, rebooted and still doesn't work.

Then you need to do it manually from the recovery console. That is what I had to do.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Then you need to do it manually from the recovery console. That is what I had to do.

Yeah, that should work.

Doh, I forgot - if you're running XPSP1 the one from tgtsoft might not work. Last I checked they hadn't updated it to work with SP1. There's one available that will work - hang on let me look.

Edit: The link to download it is here.