Is Stephen Strasburg the next Mark Prior?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
So Strasburg's on the DL again with a strain in his pitching elbow.

His pitching form is the same controversial "inverted W" that Mark Prior had.

Anyone else think we might see Strasburg follow in those footsteps? Two DL stints in your first half season is pretty bad. I guess we'll see what happens next year, but I give it about a 50/50 split right now that Strasburg remains effective for more than one more year.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Kerry Wood's been pretty effective as a reliever, too.

And while Prior did throw a lot of pitches, other pitchers in the past and present have and continue to throw just as many.

Maybe it's a combination: pitch count and mechanics. The Nats, though, have been cautious with him.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
How about we let the kid play next season and THEN decide if he's the next Mark Prior?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
perhaps its the beginning of a san diego pitchers curse? prior and strasburg, both of them promising pitchers from san diego. hell add matt bush in there if you'd like; a promising shortshop-turned-pitcher who had tommy john and then decided that fighting high school kids while drunk was more fun than baseball.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
No, unlike the Cubs, the Nationals are bieng smart with Strausburg. If these kind of injuries persist, though, Strausburg might have to back off that 97 mph heat more often than not.

Isn't an "inverted W" just a M?

I've always heard scouts refer to it as inverted W, no idea why.

For people that have no idea wtf inverted W is:
markprior_display_image.jpg

Mark Prior
IMG_4098&

Stephen Strausburg

Versus

large_cc-sabathia527.jpg

CC Sabathia

275px-Roy_Halladay_pitches_allison_full.jpg

Roy Halladay

Elbows above the shoulders, forming the upside down W = bad (supposedly).

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Given how they were annointing him earlier in the year, I thought he was elected to the HOF already.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Arm trouble this early and after so few innings is always a bad sign. He can go on to have a long and healthy career, but it's definitely against the odds.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
It's too early to be thinking too seriously about this. I have nothing against the guy, but after the never-ending ESPN lovefest, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find this slightly amusing.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think there are just limitations to the human body, and he's throwing the ball at the level where he's pushing the envelope. Guys like that are bound to get hurt. The only exception I can think of is Nolan Ryan, who pitched 100mph heat for like 50 years ;)

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
No, unlike the Cubs, the Nationals are bieng smart with Strausburg. If these kind of injuries persist, though, Strausburg might have to back off that 97 mph heat more often than not.

I've always heard scouts refer to it as inverted W, no idea why.

For people that have no idea wtf inverted W is:

*snip*
Although it's not quite as pronounced, if you want some more scary evidence...Mr. Joel "Zoom-Zoom" Zumaya. Freakish enough to break a bone in his elbow just by throwing, which isn't even supposed to be possible...

Detroit+Tigers+v+Kasas+City+Royals+f3FygDVaGWfl.jpg

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Although it's not quite as pronounced, if you want some more scary evidence...Mr. Joel "Zoom-Zoom" Zumaya. Freakish enough to break a bone in his elbow just by throwing, which isn't even supposed to be possible...

Back in the day, I was a pretty solid pitcher. Threw in the low 90's with the inverted W form. That was, until I tore the post medial epicondle tendon completely off the bone in my pitching elbow. Five years after getting it repaired, my right humerus snapped in the middle of a pitch (ala Dave Dravecky, but without the cancer). There might be something to the theory that the inverted W is more stressful on an arm than a different mechanic.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002

its official now with zumaya as another example. san diego pitcher + inverted w pitching style = injury disaster. :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think there are just limitations to the human body, and he's throwing the ball at the level where he's pushing the envelope. Guys like that are bound to get hurt. The only exception I can think of is Nolan Ryan, who pitched 100mph heat for like 50 years ;)

thats because Nolan Ryan is actually a terminator that got list in the time stream. instead of thinking he had to kill sara conner he thought he had to pitch in teh major leagues.

really the guy was a freak. not only was he a hell of a pitcher he was a tough one. i love the picture of him with a guy in a headlock beating his ass.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
It's too early to be thinking too seriously about this. I have nothing against the guy, but after the never-ending ESPN lovefest, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find this slightly amusing.

That is exactly my feelings when the Red Sox and Yankees lose.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Too early to say. When he lands back on the DL next year with arm/elbow problems then perhaps.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Latest MRI shows a torn ligament and probable need for Tommy John reconstructive surgery.

Holy fck, already? They were just talking about Tommy John surgery last night on mlbtv and how it took Liriano (Twins) two years to get back to his normal dominance. This is horrible news for baseball, luckily Strasburg is super young and will be much stronger in 2 years. Wow, the Nats are cursed... scouts should have been using the scientific pitching models and identified the flaw in the mechanics. Amazing they couldn't see this coming after all of the scientific analysis of mechanics that contributed to the downfall of Kerry Wood and Prior.