Is something wrong with this?

murphyslabrat

Jan 9, 2007
I got a set of Razer Moray canalphones, and they sound like crap. the whole frequency range sounds muddy, and indistinct. For $35, I was expecting performance to at least approach the SteelSeries 3H ($35 MSRP, $15 at the egg), but it can't even touch a $12 set of Micro Innovation headphones. The budget MI headset has a weaker bass response, but everything is quite clear.

Bump up to the Steelseries 3h (which is remarkably similar in appearance to that new Rosewill RHM-556 headset), and you get a whole different class of sound.

So, despite my experience, there are a bunch of 5-star reviews at the Egg. So, I wanna know if I should be expecting less from canalphones, or if I should RMA this set.

--Edit--
Another question I have, is regarding a LTB MG-51USB headset, that occasionally gives a crackling noise. I emailed the customer support, and they told me (a week later) that this was not a known issue, and that I should just try it in another computer. I have not had the opportunity.

It rarely happens when I am listening to music or browsing, and didn't happen once during a collective 12 hours of movie watching. It seems to only happen when I am gaming (UT 2004, CoD 4, and Civ 4). The only way I know of to get rid of it, is to switch the audio-channel configuration (2 channel to 6 channel, any switch will work), and it'll go away for a while. It usually comes back after 10-15 minutes, with varying degrees of intensity. It doesn't matter what's muted, or what's not.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
Canalphones are hit or miss. I've never owned the phones you listed, but I've owned Etymotic ER-6i's and Shure E2c's. I have a pair of Shure SCL4's coming in the mail. My recommendation is to buy canalphones from companies dedicated to audio equipment and not companies like Razer or SteelSeries. For $35 though, you're not going to find any remarkable canalphones. The only thing that comes to mind in that price range is Ultimate Ears' MetroFi series, but I don't know much about them. A quality set of canalphones will cost $70 and up.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
keep in mind these are specialized ear buds. But the sound has to travel threw the rubber canal which can distort or muffle the sound. If your really looking for good sound quality then you need to stick with a full heaadset and not the buds or canal phones.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: murphyslabrat
So, in other words, the crappy audio performance is to be expected in that form-factor?

No, I didn't say that. You can get amazing sound out of a nice set of canalphones, though $35 full-size cans will usually be better than $35 canalphones. You pay for the small form factor.

Originally posted by: mpilchfamily
keep in mind these are specialized ear buds. But the sound has to travel threw the rubber canal which can distort or muffle the sound. If your really looking for good sound quality then you need to stick with a full heaadset and not the buds or canal phones.

Again, canalphones can sound VERY good if you get the right fit and find a good pair.

Don't judge every canalphone out there based on a cheap set made by a gaming peripherals company.

toronado97

Dec 30, 2006
I've got a pair of Creative canal phones that came for free with my buddy's Dell system, and they blow away every other headset/earpiece/whatever I've ever heard. I checked on the Egg and I don't see them listed there, but they may still be available from Dell for around 35 dollars.

murphyslabrat

Jan 9, 2007
OK, with the issue with the canalphones answered, can anyone toss a guess at my other issue. If it helps, the LTB MG-51 USB headset uses a C-Media integrated audio controller. Not sure the model number or specs on it.... But, what could cause the intermittent crackling?

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I have some IM716s and E3Cs. I don't like them that much, though the im716s aren't bad value for money. The only IEMs I've ever really liked are my UE10 Triple.Fis, and I still think there's a lot of room for improvement.

So, yeah, unless you want to pay through the nose, expect mediocrity. Also note that most IEMs are very low impedance, which can cause increased distortion.

Originally posted by: shlemielo

Don't judge every canalphone out there based on a cheap set made by a gaming peripherals company.

Curiously enough....my $330 Triple.Fis are made by a Logitech subsidiary.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
OK, with the issue with the canalphones answered, can anyone toss a guess at my other issue. If it helps, the LTB MG-51 USB headset uses a C-Media integrated audio controller. Not sure the model number or specs on it.... But, what could cause the intermittent crackling?

That cracking is probably coming from high CPU usage if it only happens during gaming. Try listening to music and running a CPU intensive task at the same time and see if the crackling occurs.

Originally posted by: Cheesehead
I have some IM716s and E3Cs. I don't like them that much, though the im716s aren't bad value for money. The only IEMs I've ever really liked are my UE10 Triple.Fis, and I still think there's a lot of room for improvement.

So, yeah, unless you want to pay through the nose, expect mediocrity. Also note that most IEMs are very low impedance, which can cause increased distortion.

Curiously enough....my $330 Triple.Fis are made by a Logitech subsidiary.

They were made by UE before Logitech acquired UE, which I believe happened this August. Anyway, dumb argument. Obviously a lot of people don't like IEMs, but I love them for their portability and isolation. I also need them for performing music on stage.

murphyslabrat

Jan 9, 2007
That cracking is probably coming from high CPU usage if it only happens during gaming. Try listening to music and running a CPU intensive task at the same time and see if the crackling occurs.
Uhm...Yeah....that makes sense. I only have a 1.66Ghz C2D, so that would apply...the question, then, is why? How come high CPU usage makes it static-y like that?

--EDIT--
Answering my own question, but I just now realized why it crackles: since USB is CPU managed, it is most likely the CPU being unable to push audio through. Wild guess, but that's probably the reason. This means that I will either need a new CPU, or just give 'em away/sell them, as I already have a new headset.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
Uhm...Yeah....that makes sense. I only have a 1.66Ghz C2D, so that would apply...the question, then, is why? How come high CPU usage makes it static-y like that?

I have no idea. I have an external USB sound card (EMU 0404) and I hear crackling sometimes when my CPU is maxed.

murphyslabrat

Jan 9, 2007
I asked this question a long time ago, and I since started using a different headset (I picked up a SteelSeries 3h for $7 on eBay), but I started using this USB headset again. I hear crackling after about 30 minutes (a rough estimate), and this is with CPU utilization at, basically, nothing. I was watching some Hulu, with an average CPU usage of 20%. This indicates an issue separate from CPU utilization.

any ideas?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The USB spec is 5 vdc @ 500 millamps. Crackiing can sometimes be the result of poor shielding in the connector and internal circuitry as well as in the external ear phones.

Have you tried different USB ports? Have you tried using a powered hub to connect to? That could also solve your problem in that it reduces what the CPU has to do in your audio system.

Personally, I dislike all ear buds. I have yet to find any that will stay positioned properly in the ear canal. Full cans that enclose the entire ear are the most comfortable for me. Also, how they sound is somewhat subjective - has a lot to do with the listener's aural acuity.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
I owned the other ones, the Razer M100's. At the time I thought they were decent for the money. Obviously better than included iPod headphones. However, once I got my Etymotic Research ER-6i headphones they now sound like crap and I could never go back to something like that.