Is Sleeping Dogs a example of great optimization?

Protomize

Jul 19, 2012
Besides the fact that having AA on extreme makes your GPU sweat bullets, I find this game to be very optimized. The graphics are wonderful in 1080p with all the settings cranked except AA and I get a nice and steady 62 FPS on my OC'd HD 7850. While in Saints Row The Third, I hover around 45 FPS and the graphics are no where near as good as Sleeping Dogs. Also, both are open world games. I hope future games can follow this trend because I know we can have legitimately graphically advanced games without making our powerful rigs fall to their knees.

Last edited:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
No, it's not. It's the difference between a credible publisher or a crap publisher and the reason many people prefer games that come from big STRICT companies like EA over crap titles like Saints Row. Strict publishers contractually obligate developers to a specific standard they deem an enjoyable experience, lucky for us Square Enix has been around forever and like ubisoft or any other credible publisher they're strict about good frame rates.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
No, it's not. It's the difference between a credible publisher or a crap publisher and the reason many people prefer games that come from big STRICT companies like EA over crap titles like Saints Row. Strict publishers contractually obligate developers to a specific standard they deem an enjoyable experience, lucky for us Square Enix has been around forever and like ubisoft or any other credible publisher they're strict about good frame rates.
Not sure if trolling or incredibly stupid.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Walk around some of the alleys in the game and observe the textures on the ground. Even with the high resolution texture pack the garbage on the ground is rendered flat in 2D and looks like a NES game. The atmosphere and a lot of the fell and look when driving around is pretty good but walk around and get up close with the environment and you will begin to see weird stuff like that. Can't even render an empty bottle on the ground in 3D? That's lame right there.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My meager system easily handles Saint's Row the Third with everything on but AA and DX11, but Sleeping Dogs runs like a dead dog at medium, both games at 1920x1080.

I have an e8400@3ghz, 6gb ram and a GTX460gc 768mb.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
It looks good but in an old fashioned kind of way, you can tell it's designed for the consoles because even setting the npc level to extreme means there are only a few cars on the road at once. The graphics also heavily rely on textures to make up for a lack of particle effects and a sparse environment - being both lack of NPCs and detail in areas.

It runs OK for what it is, but considering what the PC could run on a title designed with DX11 from the ground up, it isn't impressive.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
PCs are capable of pushing a lot better graphics than this game provides. The so called high level of performance is easy when the game is basically designed to run on 6 year old hardware, we have well over 15x the performance available plus a tonne of features that this game doesn't even bother to use. Its not well optimised so much as its not aiming very high.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i'd rather see some good NPC A.I. over graphics, something to have some fun with.
I wish devs would do something in their games similar to what the devs who made Facade demo did. Where you could optionally type in what you want to say and they respond. It was funny to ask that guy's wife to have sex with you

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Not quite. While it's one of the more impressive games out there visually, IMO it takes too much power to set everything to max. I also had to scale some options back a tad as during the day time the framerate drops quite a bit on my GTX570. Apparently the Nvidia crowd isn't getting quite as much bang for the buck on this one.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Is it me or has AMD Gaming Evolved come a long way in the last few years? AMD's recent Gaming Evolved list actually include games I've heard of. http://blogs.amd.com/play/category/gamepartners/ Although, until the latest drivers, BF3 was running better on NV hardware which was kind of funny.
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/03/10/amd-gamers-manifesto/

NV's massively entrenched position with gamedevs is probably still better, but it's not the laughably lopsided rout it used to be.
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/26/roy_taylor_interview_twimtbp_dx10/2
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/26/roy_taylor_interview_twimtbp_dx10/3
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...to-be-played-celebrates-its-10th-anniversary/

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Thing with Gaming evolved is that while TWIMTBP did help developers use Nvidia strengths for performance and visuals, this could all be caught up to by AMD in drivers (except use of physx). With Gaming Evolved you have games that do not look better than the previous title in the series (Dirt Showdown), but run like shit on Nvidia stuff. So I'm not sure it's all that great at all. Using stuff that adds no visual improvement but tanks performance is bad for consumers.

Tessellation was once better on NV (still is a bit) but it adds visual effects. Physx adds visual effects. The lighting in DirtShowdown doesn't look at all spectacular but since it uses DirectCompute which NV cards simply don't do in games, you get almost unplayable framerates.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Thing with Gaming evolved is that while TWIMTBP did help developers use Nvidia strengths for performance and visuals, this could all be caught up to by AMD in drivers (except use of physx). With Gaming Evolved you have games that do not look better than the previous title in the series (Dirt Showdown), but run like shit on Nvidia stuff. So I'm not sure it's all that great at all. Using stuff that adds no visual improvement but tanks performance is bad for consumers.

Tessellation was once better on NV (still is a bit) but it adds visual effects. Physx adds visual effects. The lighting in DirtShowdown doesn't look at all spectacular but since it uses DirectCompute which NV cards simply don't do in games, you get almost unplayable framerates.

So... like unoptimized tessellation on Crysis 2, amirite?