is setting up family sharing needed if we all use the same apple ID

Feb 25, 2011
Yes. Don't use the same Apple IDs if your children are in their teens. You just don't want to know.

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
No just a 4 year old. I did not think I should set it up as I hear it not reversible once it's setup. Ok I think I'll just leave ios8 as it is . No family sharing

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Thats odd, why wouldn't it be reversible? Pretty sure all you have to do is kill off the common credit card from the other accounts and accounts should go back to individual accounts.

SSWilson

Dec 29, 2001
I setup family sharing for my wife and it worked well at first. One day it stopped working and when I tried to fix the issue it said that I couldn't make changes for 90 days. It still didn't work so were back to sharing my Apple ID for everything but iCloud.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Thats odd, why wouldn't it be reversible?.

FWIW, from https://developer.apple.com/icloud/documentation/family-sharing/
Leaving Family Sharing
When you leave Family Sharing, your account is removed from the family group and you immediately stop sharing music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps with any remaining family members.

Any DRM-protected music, movies, TV shows, books, or apps you previously downloaded from other family members’ collections will no longer be usable, and other family members will no longer be able to use content downloaded from your collection. If you have made In-App Purchases from an app originally purchased by someone else, you will need to purchase the app yourself to regain access to your In-App Purchases.

In addition, family photos, calendar, and reminders will be removed from your devices, you will stop sharing your location with other family members, and your devices will be removed from the family Find My iPhone device list.

-KeithP

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
That's obvious, but it doesn't mean it's not reversible. Not reversible would mean once you set up family sharing, any ID that is part of it cannot go back to being an individual ID with it's own credit card.

I guess I should have elaborated a bit on why I posted that. Reading between the lines, my assumption, based on the quoted section, is that it is completely reversible other than loosing access to the items that were shared.

-KeithP