Is Secretary of State Powell the worst Secretary of State in recent history?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I can't think of a single diplomatic success under his watch. He seems to be far more of a liability than an asset to the president.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Only because Bush is using Powell as a cover. Powell is the face of diplomacy while the Vulcans run the machinery in secret and do as they damned well please.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the most over qualified person in the administration with a different ideals than the boss so he doesnt get a chance to shine

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
I can't think of a single diplomatic success under his watch. He seems to be far more of a liability than an asset to the president.

Under his watch is a good choice of words...The Dept. of state has been pre-empted from the beginning of the present administration by the defense Dept. Watch in dismay has been his only option, short of resignation. Perhaps he thought at least a voice from the wilderness was a better alternative than quitting. Or maybe he has some sense of duty and loyalty.

edit....I had my departments flip flopped.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Powell's ability and ideas are squandered by Bush the majority of the time, so you can't really say he's the worse Secretary of State in recent history.

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
I think most black people feel that Colin Powell is where he is today because of his ethnicity. I'm not saying the man can't do his job but lots of other people could do it as well or better who were not black and would not promote an image of diversity for the President's staff.

replicator

Oct 7, 2003
The rumours that he was kept in the dark about Iraq war, and that the Saudis knew before him is particularly embarassing for him. True or not, I think everybody knows that Powell is really not a powerful member in the administration.

He is great for propaganda, because he carried with him the credibility of integrity that many others lacked, but they have sadly used it all up.

He is just another lackey now.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Ayup, I have no idea why Powell just doesn't resign right now. He certainly cannot have any respect for this administration at this point.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
What is recent history? If you go far back enough, Kissinger was much worse. Do a google search for criminal and kissinger to get a taste of what the man was like.