Is Seasonic any good for PSU's?

ViRaLRuSh

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2002
Had one in box for awhile now from a deal. 350W

I plan to put it in when put in my Radeon X850 XT 256MB card.

Will this psu be good enough for it? the Req's say 350W.

Also, on my current card, a Geforce 6600 GT, i get a line down the screen which i can only see when i go over water in WoW. It's a horizontal line. Is this a setting on the card like vsync or something? or is it the newest drivers from nvidia?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Yes. They are known for being solid, quiet PSUs. What other equipment are you going to be putting on this 350? It's not really a good idea to go with the absolute minimums when pertaining to PSUs. Purely my own opinion however.

Broly

Banned
Dec 18, 2005
I do not suggest the 350watt power supply for a computer that is using a radeon x series.

Truth is, 350 watts was good for an XP with AGP, but man, It's time to upgrade

I'm sure someone can find you a great deal for a seasonic 500 or 600 watt, but I would suggest not doing it otherwise some capacitators may leak or something else may happen

REgards.

Rockhound1

Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Broly
I do not suggest the 350watt power supply for a computer that is using a radeon x series.

Truth is, 350 watts was good for an XP with AGP, but man, It's time to upgrade

I'm sure someone can find you a great deal for a seasonic 500 or 600 watt, but I would suggest not doing it otherwise some capacitators may leak or something else may happen

:thumbsup:

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

REgards.

Why do capacitors leak again?

There is no need at all for a 500W PSU for an 850 unless there's a shed load of other gubbins in there too (8HDs, 5DVDRW and a fridge).

Broly

Banned
Dec 18, 2005
Well he's going ot have to shell out,
Why not spend 20 extra dollars and get that PSU he can use for 3 years instead of 1 1/2, truth be told in a world full of RAID arrays and SLI,

Everything is better in pairs.

That's just my 2 cents though

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Well he's going ot have to shell out,
Why not spend 20 extra dollars and get that PSU he can use for 3 years instead of 1 1/2, truth be told in a world full of RAID arrays and SLI,

Everything is better in pairs.

That's just my 2 cents though

Had one in box for awhile now from a deal. 350W

RTFOP :p

Broly

Banned
Dec 18, 2005
Yeah, but why would it be boxed? he should get rid of it.

i saw that, but I'm comparing your 400 to 500 watt analogy , 20 buckish more for hte upper scale one.

Sorry for the miscommunication

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Seasonics are well made PSUs and are known for being the some of the most quiet PSUs on the market.

My bet is that your Seasonic 350W PSU will be able to handle your system without much problems assuming you have a fairly standard setup.

NetDevil

Mar 6, 2005
I`m sure the seasonic will handle you rig as long as a Seasonic S12 330W hold this system:Venice @ 2.7Ghz 1.7V, 4GB RAM DDR500, 7800GTX

Broly

Banned
Dec 18, 2005
The problem is wobble, that it's just barely enough... Is it really worth it is the real question....

I guess to each his own.

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, but why would it be boxed? he should get rid of it.

Because it's still in the box it came in? It will run his rig, so there's no point in buying a new one is there?

It's far more than enough you fool.

An FX-60, 1900XT doesn't draw 300W from the wall at peak load.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ViRaLRuSh
Also, on my current card, a Geforce 6600 GT, i get a line down the screen which i can only see when i go over water in WoW. It's a horizontal line. Is this a setting on the card like vsync or something? or is it the newest drivers from nvidia?

What monitor do you have? If it's a CRT, then there's a good possibility it's using the sony tube (or whatever it's called) which has two subtle horizontal lines that you are seeing in WoW.

Broly

Banned
Dec 18, 2005
You should post anew thread bob

shows your idiocy.
From the wall? WE're talking PSU. jesus

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: ViRaLRuSh

Probably is VSync. Try forcing it on.

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

shows your idiocy.

No, a FX-60 system doesn't draw 300W from the wall, @ 80% efficency that means it's drawing less than 240W.

Yes, he needs a 500W PSU if he wants to add another HD.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Bobthelost

shows your idiocy.

No, a FX-60 system doesn't draw 300W from the wall, @ 80% efficency that means it's drawing less than 240W.

Yes, he needs a 500W PSU if he wants to add another HD.

^^ :confused: WTF?

Okay, PSU efficiency works like this. Say you have a 500w PSU is in a system, and the components in that system require a total of 250 watts. If the PSU is 100% efficient, then it will pull 250 watts from the wall. If that PSU is 50% efficient, it will pull 500 watts from the wall.

But then the system gets upgraded, and it then requires 450 watts. If the PSU is 100% efficient, it will pull 450 watts from the wall. But if the PSU is 50% efficient, it will pull 900 watts from the wall.

The capacity of a PSU is it power output. It?s efficiency is how efficient it can create that power.

EDIT: So efficiency has NOTHING to do with output. Eff = pwr out / pwr in. Pwr out is going to constant; pwr in is the variable, and what changes. The PSU will generate power up to the amps per rail that it is rated (thus giving a total wattage), and it will pull as much 120V electricity from the wall that it needs to do so.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
350 super silencer? i think efficiency can drop on lousy psu's at high drain.

seasonic tends to deliver full rated power. u should be ok.

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
The efficency does tend to drop off over 80% of max rated load, but it's not more than 5% or so for the most part.

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
You have so much room to play in your PSU might forget there is a load at all.

Look at the review of the FX-60, the power consumption they list is the power draw from the wall, the PSU is only sourcing maybe 80% of that (and it's the PSU's output that is rated). The reason you need leeway is because you may use all the availiable amps on one rail while still drawing less than your PSU's rated power. But that's not an issue here.