Is Scantron a monopoly? Does it have competitors?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
I looked up on Yahoo and seems like there is no other company which does what it is doing. Do you think it is a monopoly?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
is 15 cents a scantron too much for you

Haha, you are getting ripped off. I have a coupon for 3cents off and I use it all the time. I get all my scantrons for 13 cents. Sucks to be you. Too bad you don't know how to search for the deals.

j/k

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It's prolly around 10 to 15 cents a piece. My school stopped using them a couple weeks ago cause they were too expensive! I'll probably get smaller tests now cause teachers don't want to grade a bunch of huge tests. :)

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
15 cents a scantron?!?! That is a fvcking ripoff

My school uses them all over the place.. It costs $15 just for 100 papers?

The software to make a scantron is minimal and the equipment could be made for cheap. That'd be a nice market for another company to jump into.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Actually they're slowly being replaced for quizzes and tests by web-based course management systems from WebCT, Blackboard, and eCollege, at least at the college level.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
I've seen non-scantron type scantron sheets and tests... so its not really a monopoly... although the non-scantron sheets are REALLY ghetto looking

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Actually they're slowly being replaced for quizzes and tests by web-based course management systems from WebCT, Blackboard, and eCollege, at least at the college level.

webCT sucks. we use it for my comp sci labs.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

yeah webCT is such a piece of crap, so many things wrong with it im not gonna bother to list them

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dighn

yeah webCT is such a piece of crap, so many things wrong with it im not gonna bother to list them

we use webCT for our materials course and its garbage! I hate its discussion page as well!

I like CCNet which most of the other courses use.

How come you guys have to buy SCANTRON sheets? Doesn't the school provide it for you? Our highschool used to do that.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
How come you guys have to buy SCANTRON sheets? Doesn't the school provide it for you? Our highschool used to do that.

You were provided text books in High School too...................;)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Out of curiousity, what about it do you guys hate? ed - besides the discussion page, mentioned above

My employer (respondus.com) sells software to make the quiz/exam creation step easier, so I'm pretty familiar with that part of WebCT (and Bb, eC) but its been a decade since college so I've never used it as a student or TA.

jarsoffart

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2002
My teacher makes his own "scantrons." He has people fill in boxes and then has a piece of paper with holes that line up with the answers. If the marked spot does not coincide with the holes in the piece of paper, then it's wrong. I heard that scantrons cost 25 cents each though, not 13-15.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001

Out of curiousity, what about it do you guys hate? ed - besides the discussion page, mentioned above

My employer (respondus.com) sells software to make the quiz/exam creation step easier, so I'm pretty familiar with that part of WebCT (and Bb, eC) but its been a decade since college so I've never used it as a student or TA.

aside from the discussions board?

just off the top o fmy mind

need to press "back" twice to go to previous page
files posted on webct cannnot be easily saved unless your browser has a good "save frame" feature (only one i've see that handles this weel is opera)
the navigation text is useless b/c it's never accurate. its as if they expect you never to use the back button

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Arg, I pay 25 cents per scantron.

There is some competition, something called "Par-Score", a blueish and white tone instead of the usual green of the scantron. I'm yet to use one of these other sheets.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
I would just buy a couple cases of scantrons to get some sort of bulk discount, and then resell them to random college students.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PsychoAndy
I would just buy a couple cases of scantrons to get some sort of bulk discount, and then resell them to random college students.

I think the homeless man selling newspapers next to you would make more money :)

Moemar

Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: brtspears2
Arg, I pay 25 cents per scantron.

There is some competition, something called "Par-Score", a blueish and white tone instead of the usual green of the scantron. I'm yet to use one of these other sheets.

Yeah, I had to use a ParScore for some crazy GE comm class I had to take. Works just the same though. Whatever.

And I'm assuming those of you who have been gasping about paying for scantrons are still in high school. Things are a little different up here in the "big-kids" school. ;)