Is Sarah Palin qualified to be Vice President of the USA?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
I am pretty sure this poll will have roughly the same percentage of yes and no, as my poll for Oboma vs McCain.

Except, probably a bit more no, since some who would vote for McCain don't think she is qualified.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Don't you just love living in CA?

Nobody comes here, no ads are run here, yet we have the most electoral votes by far.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'll be honest: McCain is more "qualified" to be President than Obama. However, I find his policies to be steering this country in the completely wrong direction. Especially if his selection of a science advisor from the creationist folks is true. The *only* way the U.S. can maintain it's position in the world is through technology. We're already losing manufacturing jobs. I don't think many people realize that just the top 25% of students in China are more students than all the students in all of North America. And, our potential administration thinks that creation is even realistic??! I just wish Obama had a more diversified group of science advisors. (Too many from the life sciences, if you ask me.)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I'll be honest: McCain is more "qualified" to be President than Obama. However, I find his policies to be steering this country in the completely wrong direction. Especially if his selection of a science advisor from the creationist folks is true. The *only* way the U.S. can maintain it's position in the world is through technology. We're already losing manufacturing jobs. I don't think many people realize that just the top 25% of students in China are more students than all the students in all of North America. And, our potential administration thinks that creation is even realistic??! I just wish Obama had a more diversified group of science advisors. (Too many from the life sciences, if you ask me.)

buffalo chicken comes from buffalo, it's what humans rode when they fought the great dinosaur wars a hundred years ago.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I GOT IT!!!

I now remember who Sarah Palin reminds me of...
TRACY FLICK!
From the movie ELECTION (1999) with Reese Witherspoon.
She's another Tracy Flick!!!

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
:laugh:
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: DrPizza

buffalo chicken comes from buffalo, it's what humans rode when they fought the great dinosaur wars a hundred years ago.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
First big 527 hit piece ad appears.

According to MediaCurves (a company that does focus group studies on campaign ads), this is the first ad in over a month to post a statistically significant shift, averaging 6 points towards Obama/Biden among all three major political affiliations (Rep., Dem., Ind.).

I'm curious to see what MoveOn has planned for the October; they seem to be banking a lot of their ad budget right now for something big.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I bet'cha 'ol McCain is ROFL'ING at the spectacle he's created by choosing Palin for his VP pick. I bet'cha 'ol McCain is eating all of this up and giggling like a little girl at what he's done.

See what six years of being tortured and dehumanized in a NVA prison camp can do to a man?

I'd like to hear what the repubs have to say about all of this after they get their asses handed to them in November.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: tweaker2

I'd like to hear what the repubs have to say about all of this after they get their asses handed to them in November.

it's simple.

winning this election was a long shot from the beginning, considering how much of this country thinks that the country is headed in the wrong direction. McCain can make decisions like picking Palin because he's got nothing to lose.

if he does lose, I think republicans will rightly say that he was probably the only candidate who could have been this competitive against Obama, but we're in the worst climate for republicans since Nixon's resignation.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Of course she is.

She is:
a natural-born citizen of the United States;
at least thirty-five years old;
have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.
has never been the president

eligible != qualified

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn
Originally posted by: chess9
You've seen a bit of Sarah Palin by now, so you must have an opinion about her qualifications to be Vice President of the United States.

Personally, I think this is McCain's biggest blunder ever, but, I'm usually wrong. :)

Keep it clean, no low blows, switchblade knives, brass knuckles or references to Germany's undearly departed WWII leader.

-Robert

So basically you leave for like what......3 or 4 years......and your grand re-entrance topic is YASPT? Now I remember why you suck. :D

Welcome back anyway. :beer:

Thanks for the beer, mate! Ah, that was perfect at 7:25 a.m. :)

I've been online here off and on but haven't had the time to post. Now that the election is looking very interesting, I thought I'd post this question, which seems appropriate. I see the minions of the conservative establishment have been busy over night defending the honor (?) of Sarah Palin. :)

Meanwhile, here's a very thoughtful piece on Palin: http://tnr.com/politics/story....4a84-aaf2-0d92e09bd9f3

"Engagement, not experience, is the difference between Palin's qualifications and Obama's. Obama has a longstanding interest in national and (to a lesser extent) international issues, and has answered questions on all those issues in extensive detail. Palin has dealt almost exclusively with parochial issues in a wildly atypical state. (Her fiscal experience, which consists of divvying up oil lucre, offers better preparation to serve as president of Saudi Arabia than the United States.) It's possible Palin has harbored a long-standing, secret passion for policy wonkery, but the few signs available thus far--her convention speech that spelled out "new-clear weapons," her evident lack of familiarity with the term "Bush Doctrine"--suggest otherwise. The Republican intelligentsia is frantically tutoring her while they run out the clock until November 4.

In lieu of opening Palin to regular questioning from the press corps, of the sort the other three candidates have all undergone many times before, the McCain campaign is helpfully leaking positive appraisals of her studiousness. "Despite the worries, [Palin] struck many campaign officials as more calm and cerebral than expected," reported Newsweek. "She was quick to ask questions, and to 'engage in a back and forth' with briefers." See, the McCain campaign says she's on the ball. That settles it, right?

But, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, this admiring appraisal of the prospective veep's intellect struck a familiar chord. With a quick search, I discovered that, indeed, the same was said of Dan Quayle in 1988. Twenty years ago, The Washington Post reported, "Bush aides, who were getting their first in-depth exposure to Quayle, were impressed by his attention span, the quality of his questions and the facility with which he moved through the agenda."

Other parallels stood out as well. Conservatives received Quayle's selection rapturously. L. Brent Bozell pronounced himself "ecstatic," and Jerry Falwell called the surprise pick "a stroke of genius." After a media frenzy, Quayle's speech was well-received. The convention hall burst into cheers of "We want Dan!" NBC anchor Tom Brokaw said that Quayle executed "flawlessly," and CBS's Bruce Morton called it "a good speech."

Questions about Quayle's readiness remained, but he did his best to turn them into elite condescension toward small town America. Quayle, in his acceptance speech, spoke movingly about the small towns in Indiana where he had grown up, and later disparaged Dukakis for "sneer[ing] at common sense advice, Midwestern advice."

Today, Quayle is remembered as a disaster. But, during the campaign, his supporters believed that media skepticism of Quayle had rallied ordinary Americans to his side. Dukakis "looks down on his fellow Americans. He looks down on Bush and Dan Quayle as--in his word--'pathetic,' " wrote right-wing columnist Michael Novak. "Thus, the 'feeding frenzy' of the press in New Orleans stirred a national backlash. It united all the scorned of America as one."

Conservatives are saying the same things about Palin. "Elite opinion," insisted McCain strategist Steve Schmidt, "looks down with contempt at people who are not part of their world." As Palin herself said, "If you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone." To the right, the mere fact that the press questions her fitness proves that she is one of them.

As the original rationales for Palin melt away, this bond has become unshakable. Her lack of qualifications turns out to be her greatest qualification."

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: sportage
I GOT IT!!!

I now remember who Sarah Palin reminds me of...
TRACY FLICK!
From the movie ELECTION (1999) with Reese Witherspoon.
She's another Tracy Flick!!!

Brilliant association! Better than mine. I thought of Captain Queeg, without the three marbles, which seems appropriate. ;)

-Robert

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: tweaker2

it's simple.

winning this election was a long shot from the beginning, considering how much of this country thinks that the country is headed in the wrong direction. McCain can make decisions like picking Palin because he's got nothing to lose.

if he does lose, I think republicans will rightly say that he was probably the only candidate who could have been this competitive against Obama, but we're in the worst climate for republicans since Nixon's resignation.

Seriously. There's no shame in the Rep nominee losing this year. The dems losing? Seppuku time.

As to OP, the VP is supposed break ties in the Senate, a duty for which I have every faith Palin can perform admirably. But she's also supposed to be able to step into the Presidency should it become necessary. We're in a global war and the financial markets are collapsing. She is not the right person at this time.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"As the original rationales for Palin melt away, this bond has become unshakable. Her lack of qualifications turns out to be her greatest qualification."

You can put lipstick on a pig if you're a Republican.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
"As the original rationales for Palin melt away, this bond has become unshakable. Her lack of qualifications turns out to be her greatest qualification."

You can put lipstick on a pig if you're a Republican.

BUT.....

Can you put a BRAIN

IN

A

PIG?

-Robert

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Originally posted by: alchemize
Of course she is.

She is:
a natural-born citizen of the United States;
at least thirty-five years old;
have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.
has never been the president

eligible != qualified
Dictionary.com definition #2:
having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., required by law or custom for getting, having, or exercising a right, holding an office, or the like.