Is Ryzen 3000 Ready?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are you content with how your Ryzen 3000 based system is running?

• There are showstoppers which make life very difficult/make me regret the purchase

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • There are some issues I can live with

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • There are small issues I can live with

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • 100% satisfied

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Other situation (please leave a comment)

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I prefer my silicon to be cool, low voltage and quiet.

Just get an Intel T-series CPU. Cool, quiet and low voltage.

It's not like you'll loose a huge amount of performance compared to the regular ones.

And I'm not content with my future CPU running at 1.45V at stock which doesn't sound like a safe figure.

Once upon a time, my K6-2 required a core voltage of 2.4V. Voltages by themselves are meaningless. If AMD says they're safe, they're safe.

Did you know Intel guarantees 3 years of continuous operation at TJmax for a given CPU?

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
Seriously then, wait around three months, follow progress on these forums, and then you will know if this is the right long term buy for you. If you can't wait buy a Ryzen 2700x/x470 board or go Intel again. It's just not worth it to fret about this as much as you are - it's not like you're buying a house.
I'll wait for a month or two. Guess that will be enough to see any wide-spread issues. Some people go crazy with their CPUs (crypto-mining, video encoding/rendering 24x7, etc.), so reports should start coming soon if there's anything wrong.

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
While I can fully understand your OCD and tend to feel the same with wanting complete access to interesting data, this change is actually an improvement wrt "true data" if AMD's explanation that the new rolling averages are what their PB2 algorithm is actually acting upon is correct.
It's the second time you're insulting me and I don't know why. I don't even bump the topic - I just reply to certain messages sometimes- I'm sorry if it's getting on your nerves.

Reactions: ItsAlive

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I prefer my silicon to be cool, low voltage and quiet. My last CPU which is Intel Core i5 2500 is still in a perfect condition eight years after I purchased it. My Nexus 5 phone still works perfectly six years after I bought it. I would like my Ryzen 3000 system to serve me for at least the next five years. I do understand that most middle-class Europeans and Americans (who I guess prevail at these forums) can afford a new PC every month but it's not my case. And I'm not content with my future CPU running at 1.45V at stock which doesn't sound like a safe figure.

And thanks for calling me a nervous wreck. Much appreciated. Being concerned about HW equipment longevity is a trait of a madman. Right, I get it.
Actually I never called you a nervous wreck. If you read my statement correctly, you'll see I suggest getting a Ryzen 300 system might make you one. All these questions and speculations now is a wasted effort as it should be apparent to anyone that things are still in play with parameter changes still occurring.

In other words it's impossible to get the clarity and answers you seem to need at this point in time.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Voted for small issues I can live with. 3900x on Crosshair VIII Wifi and Gskill Royal 3600 CL 16 RAM, system is 100% rock solid after tweaking per CCX overclocks and running Ryzen RAM calculator. My only gripe is that I haven't been able to play Apex Legends since I changed from my 4790k to the 3900x, same 1080ti on the same driver but now the game gives me the old device hung engine error.

I'll live with it because the frame rate increase has been at least 30% and in some cases as high as 50% and I'm locked at 144 FPS at 1440p in all of the games that matter to me. MT performance is actually insane, at 4.4 all core OC I'm beating Intel CPU's with 24 cores at half the power and half the price. Highly recommend the platform to all my customers, but recommend for them to stick to the 3700x if they don't need the MT perf due to weird boost clocks on 3900x.

Reactions: Drazick

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's the second time you're insulting me and I don't know why. I don't even bump the topic - I just reply to certain messages sometimes- I'm sorry if it's getting on your nerves.
Uh sorry, did you mistake me for somebody else? No insults intended whatsoever, and neither are you getting on my nerves at all.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
In my over 25+ years of running various CPUs I've never seen a situation when light monitoring tools like CPU-Z or HWiNFO would cause any discernible CPU clocks/voltages ramp up.
So you were using Ryzen back in 1994?!! :p

I agree with you, but it's not the end of the world for a CPU to behave differently than what we're used to. The only thing I would be disappointed with is that "Turbo" doesn't necessarily behave the way we're used to, but that's a "me" problem, I'd just have to get used to it. They shouldn't even put the boost clocks on the box IMO.

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
So you were using Ryzen back in 1994?!! :p

I agree with you, but it's not the end of the world for a CPU to behave differently than what we're used to. The only thing I would be disappointed with is that "Turbo" doesn't necessarily behave the way we're used to, but that's a "me" problem, I'd just have to get used to it. They shouldn't even put the boost clocks on the box IMO.

I meant x86 PCs in general. ;-)

I guess we can all agree that the Ryzen 3000 series release was somewhat rushed and almost a full month after it the platform still doesn't feel stable and feature-complete which is kind of a bummer. And I also jumped the gun with selling my perfectly working system and now I have to run a Core 2 Duo PC with 4 gigs of RAM which is incredibly slow and can't even play 1080p youtube videos without dropping frames and lagging like hell. ;-)

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

I guess we can all agree that the Ryzen 3000 series release was somewhat rushed and almost a full month after it the platform still doesn't feel stable and feature-complete which is kind of a bummer. And I also jumped the gun with selling my perfectly working system and now I have to run a Core 2 Duo PC with 4 gigs of RAM which is incredibly slow and can't even play 1080p youtube videos without dropping frames and lagging like hell. ;-)
I certainly cannot agree. I have 2 boxes running 24/7 completely stable@100% load. All 12 cores/24 threads, and they are great. Memory support and bios is still not the greatest, but I can live with the small speed hit.

Yes, its very stable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have 2 boxes running 24/7 completely stable@100% load.
Ever since I got my 3600 on 240mm AIO WC, and dropped the manual OC (back to "stock" CPU settings, with XMP set for 3600 GSkill RGB RAM), it's been stable, temps peak at around 80C, sure, I'm a little tiny bit below the "magic" 4Ghz level, which used to bother me, but now I just let my CPU do it's thing, and do work for me. Working like a charm, now.

Edit: I do have to wonder, how much of the changes to the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and the chipset drivers, and the Ryzen Master update, are more cosmetic to placate the concern trolls out there (OK, I used to be one of them), rather than actual, functional changes, but I guess we'll see. Still waiting for future AGESA updates to smooth out the last remaining bumps.

But on the whole, Memory compatibility (even with more-or-less "beta" BIOSes for 3rd-Gen compatibility with older boards), and overall stability (When I didn't attempt a manual OC), has really been fairly solid, for a new AMD launch like this.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Ever since I got my 3600 on 240mm AIO WC, and dropped the manual OC (back to "stock" CPU settings, with XMP set for 3600 GSkill RGB RAM), it's been stable, temps peak at around 80C, sure, I'm a little tiny bit below the "magic" 4Ghz level, which used to bother me, but now I just let my CPU do it's thing, and do work for me. Working like a charm, now.

Edit: I do have to wonder, how much of the changes to the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and the chipset drivers, and the Ryzen Master update, are more cosmetic to placate the concern trolls out there (OK, I used to be one of them), rather than actual, functional changes, but I guess we'll see. Still waiting for future AGESA updates to smooth out the last remaining bumps.

But on the whole, Memory compatibility (even with more-or-less "beta" BIOSes for 3rd-Gen compatibility with older boards), and overall stability (When I didn't attempt a manual OC), has really been fairly solid, for a new AMD launch like this.
Yes, it seems like the 3000 series has effectively removed OC'ing, as the chip basically automatically OC's itself very well. It does not hurt my feelings, since it is so much faster than the 2000 series, even when they were OC'ed.

I got my moneys worth.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009

My 3700x runs fine. No problems. It's as stable as the most stable Intel based PC's I've had.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Had some teething issues with the upgrade (due to the day one bios of the board) and was initially uncomfortable with the voltages I saw as this is my first Ryzen CPU. A new bios version has been released and I have had time to read up a bit more about the boosting of the 3700x.

I am now a very happy camper. It is equal to or much much better than my 6700k depending on what I am doing and the motherboard/CPU cost less. I actually sold my used 6700k for 2/3rds the price of the 3700x.

They are also soo power efficient and heat efficient at lower clocks its insane. As much as my Chromecasts work completely fine, I have a niggling idea at the back of my head that I will build a new micro ATX media PC when the APU's hit 7nm. You could cool one CCX running around the 3.0-3.6 GHz mark very easily.

Reactions: Drazick

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006

No we cannot all agree on that.
1. Ryzen is extremely stable, just not optimized (yet). There's a difference.
2. Ryzen's current stability is certainly far better than running a Core 2 machine.

Good grief you are really reaching here.

Reactions: OTG and Drazick

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I am with you @rbk123 . There is a big difference between being an unstable and unusable machine and the quirks we are dealing with here. Some of it just the lack of tools to visualize the activity. The top end single core clocks is about the only thing that actually comes off as a real issue and even that is a bit overblown in my opinion. With all the complaints you would think this launch is a dumpster fire. But it's probably one of the more stable new platform launches in 5-10 years (it's been a loooooong while since the actual chipset for Intel has been updated).

I get the desire for perfection. Problem is the closer we get to it the more pointless the complaints seem to get.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Just the OP title is trollish, this suggest that the R3000 is not ready at all, i wonder how such tengential thread titles make their way on forums like AT, or is AT a subsidiary of Reddit...?.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
The premise that Zen 2 is so buggy you have to run a Core 2 machine is so absurd his parents should be slapped for raising someone so clueless.

Blockheadfan

Feb 23, 2017
I read r/AMD several times a week, and I'm kinda shocked by the number of issues that people are having with the new Ryzen CPUs. The most widespread ones are related to high (idle) voltages and temperatures. Is this a norm for AMD for a new launch? Did anything like that happen during the launch of the previous Ryzen CPUs?

Just in case, I'm not trolling or anything. I'm genuinely interested but at the moment I've put off my purchase because I don't want to be a beta tester. I want to build a system and forget.

Everything is perfect with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Peace out. This topic might be safely deleted.

Delete my post, end on a straw-man. Peace out. Quality stuff OP.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Pretty happy I didn't buy into the hype. Time to hold out another year.

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
I see some members (@Blockheadfan) of these forums go on a downvoting spree which looks vile and mean and might indicate someone's insecurity, lack of intelligence and bigotry but I'm not a judge.

Meanwhile:
  • Multiple pre X570 motherboards have troubles running Ryzen 3000 CPUs. MSI boards are affected the most (Do Not Buy for Ryzen 3000 Series!! Incompatible and Stripped of Bios Features, July 31, 2019).
  • There are issues running RAM at designated speeds (e.g. 3200MHz even if a motherboard officially supports such memory).
  • High temperatures at idle are still not fully resolved.
  • There are no good inexpensive motherboards for Ryzen 3000 CPUs because they are only properly supported by the X570 chipset.
  • Absolutely most X570 motherboards have active chipset cooling which can be loud and very annoying. And they are relatively expensive.
  • No one even talks about this issue here on these forums but literally hundreds of people say that POST may take up to a minute.
I've noticed a lot of people on Anandtech rate posts not based on their content but based on their attitude towards the poster or the content, so I expect multiple downvotes for this message as well. Some moderators have gone as far as to approach me via PM because I erased the title of this topic. Meanwhile no one cares that people are openly mocking and scoffing at me here. I guess it's just OK and totally fine.

Some recent examples:

Pure mockery:
Delete my post, end on a straw-man. Peace out. Quality stuff OP.

Never said or implied that:
The premise that Zen 2 is so buggy you have to run a Core 2 machine is so absurd his parents should be slapped for raising someone so clueless.

Personal attacks:
Just the OP title is trollish, this suggest that the R3000 is not ready at all, i wonder how such tengential thread titles make their way on forums like AT, or is AT a subsidiary of Reddit...?.

Negated by the fact that multiple B450 motherboards do not boot/work with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Just check Reddit/MSI Gaming.
No we cannot all agree on that.
1. Ryzen is extremely stable, just not optimized (yet). There's a difference.
2. Ryzen's current stability is certainly far better than running a Core 2 machine.

Good grief you are really reaching here.

I guess my desire to buy a non-expensive system without serious issues is something out-worldly as indicated by these forums. I'm terribly sorry for not being well-off. Didn't know that was required for participation.

And I'm running a Core 2 Duo based system right now because as I've already mentioned I already sold my perfectly stable Intel Core i5 2500 based rig with which I had zero issues even though I bought the motherboard and the CPU on launch. Not a single booting issue, not a single memory compatibility issue, not a single stability/temperature issue. It was rock solid. My system POSTed in under two seconds (time between powering on and loading an OS). I guess that's something too much to ask from AMD.

I presume AMD is still considered an underdog that's why you must avoid saying anything bad (even if it's based on facts) about their products but pardon me, I don't care about underdogs, I care about products. Even six members of these forums regret their purchase which is 16% of the people who've voted which is far from zero.

I hoped we would have a decent discussion here but some people just cannot contain themselves without directly or indirectly attacking me. And while moderators closely follow my actions, they choose to overlook whatever is thrown at me - and most of the posts I've quoted have nothing to do with the discussion, IOW they are simply off-topic.

What a great community we have here. And I politely asked this topic to be deleted almost a week ago. After leaving the forums for four days I've received further eight downvotes without saying anything. Again, an amazing community.

Dear AMD aficionados,

I apologize for casting doubt on your wonderful company. I will not do that again. Please accept my apologies.

More member callouts. Not allowed.
More callouts of moderator action. Also not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Attachments

• lovely.png
    lovely.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There are no good inexpensive motherboards for Ryzen 3000 CPUs because they are only properly supported by the X570 chipset.
The above is hogwash. Although I encountered some issues with manual overclocking, both my Asus and Gigabyte B450 boards ran my R5 3600 CPU just fine (*) at stock CPU setting.

(*) Meaning, stable. Temps at idle, and issues not reaching the "perfect" PB2 clock notwithstanding, but those are mostly minor issues. Overall, stability has been great, and runs fine with my DDR4-3600 GSkill RGB RAM.

Edit: I'm not saying, that there aren't some compatibility issues with certain boards or BIOS revisions, but you have to understand the industry here. AMD and their mobo vendors, were spending MOST (I assume) of their time polishing their shiny new X570 mobos for release. I wouldn't expect anything less. Then, the sort of "back-fill" engineering resources to build, and hopefully in some cases test before release, BIOSes for their older boards, to run the 3000-series Ryzen CPUs.

Just give it a little time, this is still bleeding-edge, and if you want more-or-less "perfect" compatibility, then yeah, spring for an X570 board. It's not like Intel even gave you the option, of dropping a shiny new Sandy Bridge quad-core, into a Core2 motherboard... at least AMD should be applauded, and not derided, for "making the effort" for backwards-compatibility with older AM4 motherboards and older chipsets. Something that wouldn't have even been possible, really, on Intel, because they change sockets so often. (Coffee Lake could have been different in that regards, but Intel willingly chose not to allow backwards-compatibility there. So the end-user HAD to buy a new motherboard. And you're complaining about AMD? Really?)

Last edited:

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
This topic was not created to complain or say anything bad about AMD or Ryzen 3000 CPUs. I wanted to collect opinions/data/etc. and run a poll. That's it. It was never my intent to start a flame war or anything like that.