Is Russia planning to get invovled with the war? Maybe Russia wants to take over the United States?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I know at the end of the world there is gonna be someone who will take over the great lands and prosper for many years and everyone will love that person. He will fool everyone, he is the anti-christ.

Anyone think Vladimir Putin might be the anti-christ?

According to those criterias, wouldn't George Bush fit the bill better than Putin?

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Umm, I don't think Nostradamus wrote Revelations.

Not to be an ass....but please say RevelatioN. It doesn't have an S. I studied theology a lot in school (was thinking about a religion minor, and was only 1 class away)......and did it from an academic standpoint. Which includes a lot of historical analysis about the diff't books on the bible.

Anyway.....of the churches I've been to, most of the time if I hear a preacher refer to it as RevelationS, it's key to me that I can turn my ears off b/c he has no idea what he's talking about. Revelation is the least understood book in the bible, and the most aptly used for lunatics.

No, I don't think Putin is. But if the book of Revelation was written as a prophecy, I don't think many people will realize who the antichrist is until it's too late. (insert bill gates joke here)

FYI---more then one noted biblical historian has noted the strong possibility that the book of Revelation could have been written not as a prophecy, but to the extremely persecuted Christains around the time of it's writing (~90AD), which was, if I remember right, the timeframe of Emperor Nero, and his all out assault on Christains.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Anti Christ? No such thing..:)
Anti-Christ . . . Putin? NAW - Maybe the Uncle Christ. :D

rolleye.gif

Actually, If you read First John 2:18 (the same apostle of Jesus who penned Revelation) says: "there have come to be many anti christs"

I think you have been watching too many Omen-type movies. :p

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Ummm yeah....Russia is coming after us.
rolleye.gif

The Soviet Union at it's peak couldn't have taken us on in a conventional war. What makes you think they could now. Also good luck to anybody dumb enough to try and invade the U.S. mainland. Before they try it they need to watch the movie Deliverance. Every good ol boy in the South would be making the Russians, Chinese, whoever squeal like pigs if they were dumb enough to come ashore down there....
There was a report a little while back on the History Channel, if I'm not mistaken, alluding to the fact that the Russian military had conducted studies regarding a conventional invasion of the U.S. in the 1970s. However, as you accurately indicate <LOL>, they concluded the U.S. populace in general was/is far too intensively armed for such an undertaking to even be considered remotely successful.

In regards to current events, NPR reported today that the Russian media has altered its "anti-war" rhetoric, as of late. At the onset of the current conflict, the media over there leaned heavily toward the Hussein regime; calling U.S. and U.K. forces something to the effect of "imperialist invaders". During the past week or so, they have toned down the rhetoric to the point of describing us as "coalition forces". The heavy, Iraqi-accented favoritism in their media has also subsided.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Actually, If you read First John 2:18 (the same apostle of Jesus who penned Revelation) says: "there have come to be many anti christs"

Why would I want to read the bible? There are much better fiction titles out there...;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Why would I want to read the bible? There are much better fiction titles out there...;)
So much of the world's best fiction is based on the Bible.

You might get an understanding of what it is "about" . . . and it is NOTHING like portrayed by MOST churches. ;)

Like it or not, it has had a HUGE influence on shaping our world.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: calpha

FYI---more then one noted biblical historian has noted the strong possibility that the book of Revelation could have been written not as a prophecy, but to the extremely persecuted Christains around the time of it's writing (~90AD), which was, if I remember right, the timeframe of Emperor Nero, and his all out assault on Christains.
That's exactly what I said in a different thread (the one titled Is God Taking Sides in this War?). Was taught in high school (parochial high school) that Revelation was something to provide hope for the Christians that were being persecuted by the Romans.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: dcpsoguy
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I know at the end of the world there is gonna be someone who will take over the great lands and prosper for many years and everyone will love that person. He will fool everyone, he is the anti-christ.

Anyone think Vladimir Putin might be the anti-christ?

Umm, obviously you don't know anything about Russian-US relations. We send the most foreign aid to them, to feed their people, to help their industry, to build their military, and if they attacked us, we would drop all of the foreign aid, and they would be, in essence, nothing.

This is a great thread. Funny too!
No SANE nation would attack the US. That leaves China, North Korea, Lybia and France. No anti christ been ID'ed there but there are a few beasts in France.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: calpha

That's exactly what I said in a different thread (the one titled Is God Taking Sides in this War?). Was taught in high school (parochial high school) that Revelation was something to provide hope for the Christians that were being persecuted by the Romans.
HOWEVER, many Bible scholers believe Jesus' prophecies and the Revelation had TWO fulfilments - one in the first century and the major one at the End.

Actually, the Bible provides hope to believers of ALL ages. ;)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin

So much of the world's best fiction is based on the Bible.

You might get an understanding of what it is "about" . . . and it is NOTHING like portrayed by MOST churches. ;)

Like it or not, it has had a HUGE influence on shaping our world.

I read it when I was young and forced to attend Catholic church classes. I didn't get much out of it, and they ended up kicking me out when I kept questioning them all the time. :D

As far as having a huge influence in shaping our world...well...I better just not comment. :)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
HOWEVER, many Bible scholers believe Jesus' prophecies and the Revelation had TWO fulfilments - one in the first century and the major one at the End.

Actually, the Bible provides hope to believers of ALL ages.

Hope? Why the hell do you need the bible to have hope?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

My my, your picking on everything I am saying.

I didn't say YOU need the Bible at all to have hope . . . my response was to those who said Revelation was written for 1st Century Christians to have hope - I expanded on it to include BELIEVERS of ALL ages. OBVIOUSLY, (I knew) you don't feel any need for it.

And when you hit at the negative things the Bible has "shaped" in our world - don't confuse the Bible with the Religions who claim to follow it. Your former church - Roman Catholic - is notoriously clueless about the Bible. That is why they discourage questioning their DOGMA. Fortunately they have lost almost all of their power and no longer torture and burn people at the stake who disagree with them.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin

My my, your picking on everything I am saying.

I didn't say YOU need the Bible at all to have hope . . . my response was to those who said Revelation was written for 1st Century Christians to have hope - I expanded on it to include BELIEVERS of ALL ages. OBVIOUSLY, (I knew) you don't feel any need for it.

And when you hit at the negative things the Bible has "shaped" in our world - don't confuse the Bible with the Religions who claim to follow it. Your former church - Roman Catholic - is notoriously clueless about the Bible. That is why they discourage questioning their DOGMA. Fortunately they have lost almost all of their power and no longer torture and burn people at the stake who disagree with them.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick on what you were saying. :) I misread your post that hope only came from the bible....I apologize. I actually think the bible is helpful to a great many people, it is when it is taken too literally and used in a way to jusitfy certain viewpoints that I object. I am not religous, and I have no need for it, but I am not so naive to think there is no use for it. I respect peoples beliefs, whatever they are, so long as they don't try to force me to go along with them.

:)