Is Rush Limbaugh a racist too? UPDATE: Fatboy resigns from ESPN!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hmmmm, Rush doesn't like black quarterbacks now? Probably a bad idea for him to get into sportscasting -- way too many minorities for a white conservative rageaholic to handle ;)

Is Rush racist? Limbaugh blasts McNabb on ESPN's Sunday pre-game show.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Donovan McNabb has been to three straight Pro Bowls, two consecutive NFC championship games and was runner-up for NFL MVP in his first full season as a starter.

Still, some critics question his credentials.

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, commentator Rush Limbaugh said on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown that the fifth-year quarterback is overrated. Limbaugh's comments sparked controversy for their racial overtones.

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

An ESPN spokesman said Tuesday that Limbaugh doesn't do interviews. The spokesman didn't think the comments were racially biased.

"He was comparing McNabb's performance on the field to his reputation in the media," said spokesman Dave Nagle.

Limbaugh has helped increase the ratings for Sunday NFL Countdown. Nagle said ratings are up 10 percent overall, and 26 percent among the 18-to-34 male demographic. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

Limbaugh, in his first season with ESPN, is a conservative radio host best known as the host of the politically focused Rush Limbaugh Show, which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide. Now Limbaugh spends his Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."

McNabb is widely considered one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. The No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 draft, McNabb has helped turn the Eagles from a laughingstock franchise into a perennial championship contender.

"I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb," Eagles coach Andy Reid said, calling his quarterback "the best in the business."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season with poor performances in losses to Tampa Bay and New England. He led the Eagles to only two scoring drives as the team was outscored 48-10 in those games.

McNabb came under heavy criticism for his bad start, which came after a subpar effort in Philadelphia's stunning 27-10 loss to the Buccaneers in January's NFC title game.

But his race was never an issue -- until now.

"It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal," McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News for a story in Tuesday's editions.

McNabb is one of nine black quarterbacks to start games this season. Atlanta's Michael Vick will make it 10 when he returns from a leg injury. The list doesn't includes backups such as Jacksonville's David Garrard and New England's Rohan Davey.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
He's too dumb to be rascist...
Limbaugh has been spewing BS from his mouth hole since who knows when.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
He's not a Racist but he is an opportunist. He never passes on an opportunity to take a shot at the Media whether they are regular News media or Sports media. And as usual he is way off the mark, especially on this one. He should be sat down and be told to keep his politics out of his job as a Sports Announcer or resign.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Well lets see here, born & raised in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
You figure it out.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
He's not a Racist but he is an opportunist. He never passes on an opportunity to take a shot at the Media whether they are regular News media or Sports media. And as usual he is way off the mark, especially on this one. He should be sat down and be told to keep his politics out of his job as a Sports Announcer or resign.

There isn't politics in sports?:confused:

Hmm...I guess that guy from the Lions can get him money back from the league then;)

CkG

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Hmm...I guess that guy from the Lions can get him money back from the league then;)

CkG
What are you talking about Cad? Please enlighten me if you will:)

Dec 27, 2001
Suggesting somebody needs assistance getting into a Univeristy because they're black gets you universal praise as a civil rights champion.

Suggesting somebody needs assistance getting on and staying on a professional football team because they're black gets you called a racist.

"Double" meet "Standard".

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Suggesting somebody needs assistance getting into a Univeristy because they're black gets you universal praise as a civil rights champion.

Suggesting somebody needs assistance getting on and staying on a professional football team because they're black gets you called a racist.

Uh.. who needed assistance getting on and staying on a Pro Football team? I bet Rush has your DNA all over his zipper!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Wasn't Matt Millen fined because of a certain hiring proceedure the League put in place?

CkG

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

Suggesting that somebody is only considered a good quarterback for the SOLE reason that he's black is what's racist. McNabb's a damn good QB, and those who follow the game know that. Limbaugh has every reason to not think he's that great, but his explanation for it is hilarious.

Your double standard is playing the race card and then accusing the other side of actually doing it. Republicans love that tactic. Congressional Republicans cry foul that judicial nominees Miguel Estrada and William Pryor are opposed by Democrats because they're Roman Catholic, when 4/5 of the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee that lead the filibusters are Roman Catholics themselves.

"Its not me that's racist, its that damn black loving sports media!"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

CkG

Wasn't Matt Millen fined because of a certain hiring proceedure the League put in place?

CkG
That's right. I think that if that topic were to have come up on the show he would be ok with expressing his views. My problem is that his views shouldn't be the topic. It would be ok if he were to say that he didn't think McNabb was as good as the Sports Press made him out to be. But to through the Race Card in there, especially when he doesn't have any proof to back up his claims, is way out of line. It's not like McNabb is the Premiere Black QB in the League (Vick, McNair, Culpepper, etc), he is just a very Good QB who happens to be Black

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla

Suggesting that somebody is only considered a good quarterback for the SOLE reason that he's black is what's racist. McNabb's a damn good QB, and those who follow the game know that. Limbaugh has every reason to not think he's that great, but his explanation for it is hilarious.

Your double standard is playing the race card and then accusing the other side of actually doing it. Republicans love that tactic. Congressional Republicans cry foul that judicial nominees Miguel Estrada and William Pryor are opposed by Democrats because they're Roman Catholic, when 4/5 of the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee that lead the filibusters are Roman Catholics themselves.

"Its not me that's racist, its that damn black loving sports media!"

It doesn't sound like that's what he did. He just suggested that the media has been uncommonly patient and fogiving with McNabb. He could be right or wrong, but suggesting the existence of a bias doesn't make someone racist. Hell the same thing happens all the time in boxing (the great white hope), golf (anika), race car driving, basketball (Yao), rodeo, and baseball (Japanese players). Biases, right or wrong, in the media do exist and pointing that out is, frankly, pointing out the obvious, but it's not racist.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Well lets see here, born & raised in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
You figure it out.
Are people from Cape Girardeau, MO more inclined to be racist than others? Never been there, so I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
I'd love to see Limbaugh interview Donovan McNabb and ask him about this issue in person so McNabb could bitch-slap Limbaugh for the cameras.

Fat little hump Limbaugh would probably run off the set crying like a sissy.

Maybe that's where his twisted opinions come from. The realization he is physically inferior.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BOBDN
I'd love to see Limbaugh interview Donovan McNabb and ask him about this issue in person so McNabb could bitch-slap Limbaugh for the cameras.

Maybe that's where his twisted opinions come from. The realization he is physically inferior.
He's not fat anymore. I guess he went on the Atkins Diet:)

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BOBDN

You make me sick. You actually wish physical harm on somebody because of what they think?!

What does it matter that he's fat? What's wrong with fat people? Are you some Nazi who hates fat people?

/humorless liberal indignation

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Hmmmm, Rush doesn't like black quarterbacks now? Probably a bad idea for him to get into sportscasting -- way too many minorities for a white conservative rageaholic to handle ;)

Is Rush racist? Limbaugh blasts McNabb on ESPN's Sunday pre-game show.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Donovan McNabb has been to three straight Pro Bowls, two consecutive NFC championship games and was runner-up for NFL MVP in his first full season as a starter.

Still, some critics question his credentials.

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, commentator Rush Limbaugh said on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown that the fifth-year quarterback is overrated. Limbaugh's comments sparked controversy for their racial overtones.

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

An ESPN spokesman said Tuesday that Limbaugh doesn't do interviews. The spokesman didn't think the comments were racially biased.

"He was comparing McNabb's performance on the field to his reputation in the media," said spokesman Dave Nagle.

Limbaugh has helped increase the ratings for Sunday NFL Countdown. Nagle said ratings are up 10 percent overall, and 26 percent among the 18-to-34 male demographic. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

Limbaugh, in his first season with ESPN, is a conservative radio host best known as the host of the politically focused Rush Limbaugh Show, which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide. Now Limbaugh spends his Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."

McNabb is widely considered one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. The No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 draft, McNabb has helped turn the Eagles from a laughingstock franchise into a perennial championship contender.

"I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb," Eagles coach Andy Reid said, calling his quarterback "the best in the business."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season with poor performances in losses to Tampa Bay and New England. He led the Eagles to only two scoring drives as the team was outscored 48-10 in those games.

McNabb came under heavy criticism for his bad start, which came after a subpar effort in Philadelphia's stunning 27-10 loss to the Buccaneers in January's NFC title game.

But his race was never an issue -- until now.

"It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal," McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News for a story in Tuesday's editions.

McNabb is one of nine black quarterbacks to start games this season. Atlanta's Michael Vick will make it 10 when he returns from a leg injury. The list doesn't includes backups such as Jacksonville's David Garrard and New England's Rohan Davey.

rolleye.gif
Where in that article does Rush say that he doesn't like black football players?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hmmmm, oh master of the obvious? Did you miss the "winky" after my statement. Yup, I guess you did. ;)