Is Reagan dead?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I couldn't help but notice that at the beginning of the campaigns for the Republican nomination almost every candidate was talking about how they were the heirs to Ronald Reagan.

However, as the candidates more and more catered to the extreme right they stopped talking about Reagan.

Has Ronald Reagans policies of support for tax hikes, amnesty for illegals and support for the right to unionize essentially made him dead to the Republican party of the 2010's?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont like everything Reagan did, but I like some of his actions.

Did not care for how he handled illegals. He did fuck-all for public education. Those two things right there doomed the future for Americas children. They cant compete for good employment now and they cant take the menial jobs to get by.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Public education isn't the primary responsibility of the federal gov't.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

No one thing is the responsibility of the federal government. They have so much shit going on its unbelievable.
My beef is that many other countries around the world chose to prioritize education (which provides future value) over things like military (which does not actually generate value) and in the new millennium they are doing much better than us.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

When the Army can't find qualified recruits due to the low level of education it is an area the Federal government is empowered to act on under the Constitution.

Even under the Commerce clause the Feds have a responsibility to regulate the requirements of a high school or college degree.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
He'd get primary'ed, hard, by the fringe Tea Partiers in today's Republican party with his history of tax hikes (specifically 1982, the 2nd largest since 1968), amnesty for immigrants and his pro-union background.

Frankly, if Republicans were anything like Reagan, the country would be much better off. Of course, they'd be what today's Republican party calls "RINO", which is the sad fringe state of conservativism we find ourselves in these days. The history books will reflect this, make no mistake about it.

Nov 30, 2006
He'd get primary'ed, hard, by the fringe Tea Partiers in today's Republican party with his history of tax hikes (specifically 1982, the 2nd largest since 1968), amnesty for immigrants and his pro-union background.

Frankly, if Republicans were anything like Reagan, the country would be much better off. Of course, they'd be what today's Republican party calls "RINO", which is the sad fringe state of conservativism we find ourselves in these days. The history books will reflect this, make no mistake about it.
Reagan a RINO? That's a hoot!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
When the Army can't find qualified recruits due to the low level of education it is an area the Federal government is empowered to act on under the Constitution.

Even under the Commerce clause the Feds have a responsibility to regulate the requirements of a high school or college degree.

When the economy is growing, the need for quality recruits still exists, but the pool is smaller.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
His cause of death was determined to be:

Dick in a Box!
My_D_ck_In_a_Box_by_xBWCx.png

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Reagan's hikes were more reduction in loopholes/deductions and delays and reductions in his 1981 proposed tax cuts.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I couldn't help but notice that at the beginning of the campaigns for the Republican nomination almost every candidate was talking about how they were the heirs to Ronald Reagan.

However, as the candidates more and more catered to the extreme right they stopped talking about Reagan.

Has Ronald Reagans policies of support for tax hikes, amnesty for illegals and support for the right to unionize essentially made him dead to the Republican party of the 2010's?

The right to unionize is fine but it is not alright to mandate you have to belong to a union in order to work . If you have the rights to unionize you also have the right to refuse union membership . Why can't you see this basic truth

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Not only that, but he signed budgets and appropriations that doubled the national debt from in his 8 years in office 1981 and 1989. Hard to imagine he wouldn't get primary'ed for that alone.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No one thing is the responsibility of the federal government. They have so much shit going on its unbelievable.
My beef is that many other countries around the world chose to prioritize education (which provides future value) over things like military (which does not actually generate value) and in the new millennium they are doing much better than us.

We prioritize education. But it is more on the state level. Look at state budgets and education is probably eating half of it. I am also guessing we spend more per capita than other nations on education. Our system is broken is the problem. We have old ideas with a powerful teachers union hell bent on resisting any reform.