Is Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) still relevant today?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
5870 is relevant... but can we all agree that its greatest weakness is tessellation and Xfire? And with all the rage that is tessellation and "dual-gpu" setup, I can see some users wanting to dump the 5870.

Xfire scaling isn't spectacular, but while Tessellation performance is weak, besides of Unigine, (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...899-amd-radeon-hd-6970-hd-6950-review-22.html) even the difference isn't that great. There's no game that becomes unplayable when Tessellation is on and is never very far behind compared to other cards like the GTX 480.

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
2 x 6950's rival 2 x 580's for 60% of the price

Thats disappointing?

Yes, for anyone with a top end card (5870, 480) from either vendor of the last generation these new cards are disappointing. There is nothing that is really much of an upgrade. I honestly can't remember the last time a new generation of cards offered so little in the way of performance increases. At least with the GTX580, I can somewhat understand it. It's a refresh and I wasn't expecting more from it. The 6970 however, besides much improved crossfire, offers very little performance advancement for a card coming one year later than it's predecessor.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Yes, for anyone with a top end card (5870, 480) from either vendor of the last generation these new cards are disappointing. There is nothing that is really much of an upgrade. I honestly can't remember the last time a new generation of cards offered so little in the way of performance increases. At least with the GTX580, I can somewhat understand it. It's a refresh and I wasn't expecting more from it. The 6970 however, besides much improved crossfire, offers very little performance advancement for a card coming one year later than it's predecessor.

It may not be much of an upgrade compared to last gen but let me tell you... my 6970 blows the pants off my 4870 512 :biggrin: