Is Qwest feeding me a line or not?

Sbud

Apr 18, 2001
I'm ordering DSL for my home and want to eventually (not right away) set up a network of 3 computers to share the DSL line. My company requires that I get a router for security reasons. In reading the Networking FAQs, I think what I would do is go from the wall to the DSL modem to the router and then to the computers. Qwest is telling me that in order to be able to have the "network" capability that I need to buy their more expensive modem. Is this true? I thought that any modem would do and that the router is what allows me to network, please help:confused:

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Their cheaper modem may be a USB or internal modem, requiring you to run some sort of connection sharing through a PC. THe more expensive modem is probably Ethernet-out (allowing you to connecto to the firewall/router/switch/VPN box).

Just a guess....

Fwiw

Scott

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

in MN, their cheaper option was an internal intel 2100 PCI DSL modem. The more expensive was an external Cisco 675 DSL modem/router. With that you didn't even need another router. I just took the ethernet out and put that into a switch.

skeletal29

Oct 2, 2001
dont get that internel modem...Youll have lots a problems.Your better off buying the cisco one.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
When I made the jump to DSL I called Qwest, and Was told that they didn't ALLOW More than one computer to be connected at a time. I called the Other Phone COmpany and was able to reduce My bill by quite alot $15 a month and the DSL was CHEAPER.

Qwest also Uses the MSN interface and My friend (for whom Qwest is the only option) says it sucks!:|

I would ceck to see If there are other DSL options

Check DSL reports and I believe that CNET has a broadband finder!

I have hickory TECH and couldn't be happier (well when I downloaded ISO's for Linux this weekend that sucked 5 hours) but other then that I am Happy.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Be sure though!!! SAY YOU NEED A MODEM WITH ETHERNET OUT!!!! I know that many DSL providers will try to throw a USB modem at you which is technically an external modem. If they try, tell them where to stick it. You need an ethernet modem....you could get an Alcatel Speedtouch@home for about $100-150. An ethernet router will run you from $60-150 depending on if it has a built in switch or whatever with it. Good luck on getting the goods that'll suit your needs the best...sometimes that's the biggest challenge with this stuff!

FUBAR

Oct 11, 1999
I know this is an ancient thread, but FYI for anyone going qwest...

If you're going qwest, just get the Cisco 678 (I think they stopped shipping the 675 bout a year ago to new peeps)

1. You can't just hook up any old modem to their equipment, only what they say, it's not like DOCSIS cable, different protocols and such.

2. It's a router too. You'll just need an extra hub to make it work, and it knows whether it's an uplink or not and reconfigures itself appropriately. It will probably blow away your linux/netgear/linksys/smc/whatever else routers away for functionality too. Except for that nasty code red lockup bug which has a firmware fix as well.

3. There are issues with the Intel modem and the connection dying... never had one but seen many reports of it.

I only had the cisco have problems a couple of times while I had one, and there were power grid issues at the time, so take it FWIW.