Is 'Premium Thermal Compound' better than the stuff you can get at Radioshack??

CourtDOG

Banned
Oct 3, 2000
I plan to use my Abit KT7-Raid MB and a T'Bird processor (have yet to decide on which speed; either a 750, 800, or 850Mhz), plus a Alpha 6065 Heatsink/Fan combo in an attempt to O'clock the T'Bird to around 1000Mhz.

On a few sites I have seen this 'Arctic Silver Premium Thermal compound' that costs $14 and says that:
Superior thermal conductivity.
4.65 to 5.15 W/m*K depending on the version and particular batch.
&
2 to 3 degrees centigrade lower CPU temperatures than any other thermal compound.

I've already spent $40 for the Alpha 6065 and accesories, but would you buy this 'better' thermal compund, do you think it will really make a diffrence when I O'clock my new setup?? I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks a lot.....

JimMc

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Radio Shack is better than nothing, but Arctic silver has better cooling properties. You should get some Alpha grease with your Pal, you better for $40!

Maniac9127

Aug 28, 2000
From what I've read, the Artic Silver stuff is only good if your heatsink/cpu is concave or rough on the bottom. If I'm not mistaken the alpha's got a copper bottom, with normal use it should bend to match the shape of your CPU, so 'high performance' compound wouldn't help all that much.

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
CourtDOG
I think you should get the Artic Silver (sorry). I'm happy with Circuit Works Sliver heatsink compound -- -- rated about 90% as good. Chemtronics used to give it away.
I'm guessing that 20 -- 30% of your heat transfer properties are controlled by the heatsink compound and 70 -- 80% is controlled by the HS/fan. In other words you will loose 20 to 30 % of an Alpha'a cooling capability using the radio shack stuff.
Anybody disagree?

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Manicac,

Where the hell did you read that? On my alpha/P3 setup, comparing just melcor aluminum grease versus Artic Silver I get more than a 2C difference. Yes, my alpha is flat, and so is the p3.

Artic silver is the best grease, bar none. CircuitWorks silver grease is close, but its electrically conductive.

Mike

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
I disagree !!

Initial temp differences between AS and RS may be no more than 2-4 degrees. BUT the high heat of a BIRD, and the high contact pressure of the HSF (12-20lbs) cooks RS crap pretty darn fast. When AS is applied correctly, extremely thin, the thermal interface is much better. BUT all silicone based compounds will dry out, squeeze out etc. Jonnyguru has a great pic posted that shows how just about all the grease gets squeezed out. PCTC, doesn't suffer from ANY of these problems.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
i noticed a 4-6c diff when using artic compared to cheapy grease when i am onload :)
using pal35t with delta see my sig