Is phenom II really that bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
OP just chose a poor title for this thread and he based his assumption on a crappy review but people here already told him that a Phenom is a good cpu compared to CQ2. When it comes to i7 thou its another issue, the i7 still the king.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Gikaseixas
OP just chose a poor title for this thread and he based his assumption on a crappy review but people here already told him that a Phenom is a good cpu compared to CQ2. When it comes to i7 thou its another issue, the i7 still the king.

this.

Morale of the story, look up more than 1 review- theres this cool site called Google.com that does that really well!

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Atechie
The Phenom2 is okay...against Intel's last-gen.

Truth. Which is why the PhII chips are priced like they are - in competition with the C2Q series not the i7 series.

I do not understand why everyone slams Intel for having the highest prices around. They have the highest performance and are simply charging for it. Let's face it - AMD did exactly the same thing three years ago when their X2 series were on top of the charts.

Anyone else recall an X2 3800+ costing >$300? I sure do...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeqmcsq

His tests are on a clock vs clock comparision, instead of a price vs performance comparison. He compares a $275 CPU vs what back then was probably a $1000 CPU in a QX9770 and a Core i7 965. Thirdly, he dismisses the price vs performance comparison by telling people to "shut the hell up and go have a drink. " :roll:

Also:
The Phenom II 940 was tested with 2GB of RAM
The QX9770 was tested with 4GB of RAM
The i7 was tested with 6GB of RAM

iandh

Jun 30, 2009
IMO for a dedicated gaming system there is nothing better than Phenom II for the price. I find chips with IMC's run better in games. I've used multiple C2D/C2Q, multiple PII, and multiple i7 platforms extensively. I build about ten systems a month.

If you are doing things other than gaming, the picture becomes slightly more blurry... but even then I find "okay" to be a misnomer, Phenom II's are excellent chips... cool running, good performance, low platform cost.

If Phenom II's are just "okay", then so is the entire C2 lineup IMO.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

His tests are on a clock vs clock comparision, instead of a price vs performance comparison. He compares a $275 CPU vs what back then was probably a $1000 CPU in a QX9770 and a Core i7 965. Thirdly, he dismisses the price vs performance comparison by telling people to "shut the hell up and go have a drink. " :roll:

Also:

Well spotted...:thumbsup:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Also:

i will put money that the two intel processors u listed will rape any PHII when u factor in overclocking tho.

And no, it wont be a small margin either.
But yes they are considerably more expensive.

Originally posted by: iandh

If Phenom II's are just "okay", then so is the entire C2 lineup IMO.

when did u sneak over here? This is naekuh btw. :p

iandh

Jun 30, 2009
Originally posted by: aigomorla

when did u sneak over here? This is naekuh btw. :p

I can't remember what I originally found my way over here for, just decided to sign up since I'm always looking for another good forum to waste time on :D

Atechie

Oct 15, 2008

Also:

What was the RAM consumption in the test?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Xellos2099

I just jumped on the gun with newegg deal of the 940 and free mobo. Now I read some review, some say it is pure crap and other say it go toe to toe with some of the higher end core 2 quad. What's everyone opinion on this?

Btw, I am current using Gigatybe DS3 v1 and a oc E6400, Q9550 is not an option since my mono don;t support it.

OP why is the thread title "is phenom 2 really that bad"? who said its "that bad"? have u even read a review of the phenom 2? it was hailed as AMDs comeback, how on earth is that bad??? i think u're mixing it up w/ the phenom 1. it competes w/ the C2D and C2 quads. when price is factored in it beats them IMO especially w/ the cheaper AM2+ mobos out there.

Atechie

Oct 15, 2008
Originally posted by: poohbear
Originally posted by: Xellos2099

I just jumped on the gun with newegg deal of the 940 and free mobo. Now I read some review, some say it is pure crap and other say it go toe to toe with some of the higher end core 2 quad. What's everyone opinion on this?

Btw, I am current using Gigatybe DS3 v1 and a oc E6400, Q9550 is not an option since my mono don;t support it.

OP why is the thread title "is phenom 2 really that bad"? who said its "that bad"? have u even read a review of the phenom 2? it was hailed as AMDs comeback, how on earth is that bad??? i think u're mixing it up w/ the phenom 1. it competes w/ the C2D and C2 quads. when price is factored in it beats them IMO especially w/ the cheaper AM2+ mobos out there.

Perhaps because AMD's PR lead people to belive that this CPU would be competative with Intel's i7 line.