Is our news to personalized, are we not seeing all views in depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Yes and yes.

I think it was happening before the internet and tracking cookies which have increased the personalization by orders of magnitude.

I'll confess it is reassuring to be directed towards news articles and opinions that I agree with but it's damned aggravating as well.

It takes courage to look outward and get the big picture, something most of us don't consider when we're safe and secure in our self-assuring but horridly biased cocoons.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
If that's where you get your news, then that could be a problem. That's why we have places like this, where we see both liberal-leaning news pieces posted AND a bunch of other garbage.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
If that's where you get your news, then that could be a problem. That's why we have places like this, where we see both liberal-leaning news pieces posted AND a bunch of other garbage.

I watch Bill Mar for entertainment. Just that he put what I was wanted to say better then I could and with less typing ~

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
We are seeing what other fear - for the purposes of getting us to be frightened and then to their side.

Or, get us worried and feared enough to keep listening to them, so they can rake in more ad revenue.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I force myself to read the news articles coming from sources that I usually disagree with on a regular basis for this reason. I also try my best to understand why those who write those things believe them. It forces me to reexamine my own beliefs, makes them stronger, more intellectually consistent, and (sometimes) changes them a bit.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
It sure is.

I think one of the most pathetic things I hear is when I call Fox News crap and people respond with "Well, what do you watch? MSNBC, CNN? Liberal!"

Uhhh... No, I just prefer my news to include news. Why people think cables news is good is beyond me. And search engines following stories based on search histories isn't any better.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It sure is.

I think one of the most pathetic things I hear is when I call Fox News crap and people respond with "Well, what do you watch? MSNBC, CNN? Liberal!"

Uhhh... No, I just prefer my news to include news. Why people think cables news is good is beyond me. And search engines following stories based on search histories isn't any better.

Wonder if Bill understands he's bubbled as well. This isn't about Fox or MSNBC. It's far deeper and pervasive. I often use Google news and take steps to hide information they get from me not out of paranoia but because I don't want to be "customized" to. The internet is already full of "experts" who's sole source of knowledge and wisdom come from services which automatically validate their perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.